Thunder Street

Pi-Desktop 3B+ mSATA Boot

Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:51 pm

Thank you for your time and apologies if this has been answered before, as the forum search kept returning zero results.

I am assembling a Pi Desktop from Element 14 using a Rapsberry Pi 3 B+ and a Dogfish 120gig mSATA with the add-on board so that I can boot via usb. I was able to successfully flash the mSATA with the latest Raspbian Stretch image, and everything is connected properly on the Pi, but it will not boot to that drive. On that same token, when I replaced the sd-card and disconnected the mSATA, it would also not boot and I had to reflash the sd-card. It is to my understanding that it wasn't necessary to do any modifying as the 3 B+ is allegedly supposed to boot from USB be default if there is no sd-card present.

Thank you in advance for your help.

pws

Re: Pi-Desktop 3B+ mSATA Boot

Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:16 pm

Thunder Street wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:51 pm
Thank you for your time and apologies if this has been answered before, as the forum search kept returning zero results.

I am assembling a Pi Desktop from Element 14 using a Rapsberry Pi 3 B+ and a Dogfish 120gig mSATA with the add-on board so that I can boot via usb. I was able to successfully flash the mSATA with the latest Raspbian Stretch image, and everything is connected properly on the Pi, but it will not boot to that drive. On that same token, when I replaced the sd-card and disconnected the mSATA, it would also not boot and I had to reflash the sd-card. It is to my understanding that it wasn't necessary to do any modifying as the 3 B+ is allegedly supposed to boot from USB be default if there is no sd-card present.

Thank you in advance for your help.
- Does it boot the Raspbian Stretch SD card with the Dogfish unplugged?
- Does it boot the Raspbian Stretch SD card with the Dogfish plugged in?
- if yes Does it "see" the DogfishmSATA drive?

Thunder Street

Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:15 pm

pws wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:16 pm
- Does it boot the Raspbian Stretch SD card with the Dogfish unplugged?
- Does it boot the Raspbian Stretch SD card with the Dogfish plugged in?
- if yes Does it "see" the DogfishmSATA drive?
Yes, it does boot to the SD-card when the add-on board is removed.

Yes, it recognizes the drive.

I was able to boot the Pi to the mSATA once, but did not boot into it a second time. Not sure what happened.

EDIT: This was all after the firmware upgrade has been performed.

Thunder Street

Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:47 pm

UPDATE: I got the Pi Working, but what's happening is that there seems to be confusion between Raspbian and the hardware. It boots to the mSATA, and then it doesn't.

Return to “Troubleshooting”