thedixter1

Raspberry Pi 3 B+ doesn't boot

Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:01 pm

I am having a boot problem

1) Raspberry Pi 3 B+
2) 32GB MicroSD card
3) 3.5 amp power supply

Device doesn't boot past the "color guard" screen, and it has the lightening bolt in the upper right, implying insufficient power (with a 3.5 amp power supply!)

Same card boots on a raspberry pi 3. I will be trying the updates suggested below, but I thought I would add this to the list of nastiness happening with these cute, new, malfunctioning little boards.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Raspberry Pi 3 B+ doesn't boot

Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:18 pm

The OS you are trying to boot predates the PI3B+, and cannot boot on a PI3+, stooping at the GPU test screen (rainbow screen), with a fake undervoltage warning is the standard behavior when that happens.
Use the latest version of Raspbian, as you can find in downloads, and use Etcher to overwrite what is on the sd-card.

Read the boot problem sticky in beginners, for explanations about this issue.

HawaiianPi

Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:59 pm

If your current card has Raspbian Stretch installed from an image (not NOOBS), then put it into the older Pi3B (or other older model) and do a "sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade -y" to bring it up to date. After that has finished you can shut down and move the card to the 3B+ and it should work.

If you have an older OS version (Jessie, Wheezy), or have installed with NOOBS, then it's best to start over.

And nothing is malfunctioning. The newer 3B+ model simply requires newer firmware to operate (different hardware).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

grajasumant

Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:30 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:59 pm
If your current card has Raspbian Stretch installed from an image (not NOOBS), then put it into the older Pi3B (or other older model) and do a "sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade -y" to bring it up to date. After that has finished you can shut down and move the card to the 3B+ and it should work.

If you have an older OS version (Jessie, Wheezy), or have installed with NOOBS, then it's best to start over.

And nothing is malfunctioning. The newer 3B+ model simply requires newer firmware to operate (different hardware).
I have tried downloading a new stretch image from official downloads and did the following on an older rpi 3 -
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo rpi-update && sudo dist-upgrade

It simply does not work!

When I put a new NOOBS image on an SD card too, the new rpi 3 B+ does not boot up.

However, when I tried my other image from rpi 3 which was updated time to time, I am able to boot it.

Please suggest me resources to properly install NOOBS. I have never did NOOBS earlier. I only do raspbian.

If not, can I try other OS like ubuntu etc?

Joel_Mckay

Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:34 am

@grajasumant
The sdcard you wrote the image on may simply be worn-out or damaged. Also, some makes/sizes of cards do not work right in the pi (PNY cards gave me issues a few years back), and may not report write errors correctly. I have used Sandisk 32GB cards for years without issue, and tend to try a new one if something weird starts to happen after a year.
My OS fork post was deleted for being insensitive to the moderators wishes, but I can verify Raspbian Stretch does work on Pi2, Pi3, and Pi3b+.
;-)

Cheers,
J

grajasumant

Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:14 am

Joel_Mckay wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:34 am
@grajasumant
The sdcard you wrote the image on may simply be worn-out or damaged. Also, some makes/sizes of cards do not work right in the pi (PNY cards gave me issues a few years back), and may not report write errors correctly. I have used Sandisk 32GB cards for years without issue, and tend to try a new one if something weird starts to happen after a year.
My OS fork post was deleted for being insensitive to the moderators wishes, but I can verify Raspbian Stretch does work on Pi2, Pi3, and Pi3b+.
;-)

Cheers,
J
The same image works flawlessly when I boot it from rpi 3 B but fails in rpi 3 B+.

BTW, it is a brand new SD card. I have also replaced the SD card with a new one but the issue remains the same!

grajasumant

Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:01 am

I have tried with a brand new sd card. Extracted noobs on sd card [32 GB]formatted as FAT32.

This sd card failed to boot up on rpi 3b+.

I inserted the same on a rpi 3 and it booted flawlessly.

I did an update and upgrade from the old pi with the new sd and tried to insert the same in the new rpi 3 b+ but no use.

This is wasting a lot of time. I wonder why such an inefficient version was released in the first place! So many users are complaining about it.

No one seems to have fixed the issue!

LTolledo

Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:26 am

If the raspbian stretch in the RPi3B has been installed via NOOBS, and as pointed out my HawaiianPi, its best to start over. use the latest version of NOOBs with Stretch to make a new installation.

however if the raspbian stretch in the RPi3B has been installed using via Etcher (or Win32DiskImager) just do an update and full-upgrade while on RPi3B. once that is completed you may transfer the microSD card to RPi3B+ and boot from it.

if your raspbian is jessie, forget it!! jessie is not (and will never be) supported in RPi3B+. again it best to start over using the latest version of NOOBs with Raspbian Stretch.
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

W. H. Heydt

Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:49 am

grajasumant wrote:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo rpi-update && sudo dist-upgrade
DO NOT USE rpi-update unless you need a testing or other special kernel.

If you read something that told you to do that, please post a link to where it was so someone can fix it. IT doesn't belong in any sort of general advice.

Joel_Mckay

Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:56 am

grajasumant wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:01 am
I did an update and upgrade from the old pi with the new sd and tried to insert the same in the new rpi 3 b+ but no use.
No one seems to have fixed the issue!
I am risking another karma-splat from the moderator hammer here, but there is a well-tested Stretch image clone of my tested read-only OS desktop on a pi3B+. As it is version frozen by default, you should be able to ascertain if your issues are hardware/power-supply specific (did you try swapping power supplies yet?). See contact URL on the right or pm me -->

Yes, that is my real name, email GPG signature, and list of repo pulls made... to provide some accountability if an issue is found. We did give instructions on how to use "sudo debsums -sac" to precisely list off which libs were held/replaced with known working out-of-repo legacy versions. As the main repo becomes more stable/complete , these parched local install versions will be purged or un-held by users, and revert back to the default Raspbian versions as most would prefer. We needed to build openscad on qt4, and couldn't wait for the maintainers to resolve a rather tenacious bug for the normal qt5 repo build (it will get done at some point though, and may already be done).

@mods
If this post gets deleted, I will not mention this diagnostic process option again... Maybe a small ram-test/unit-test distro image for hardware diagnostics could prove useful in the future. =)

Cheers,
J

HawaiianPi

Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:41 am

grajasumant wrote:
I have tried downloading a new stretch image from official downloads and did the following on an older rpi 3 -
The latest images do not need any updating for 3B+ compatibility.

It simply does not work!
Wrong way to update.

When you need to update, use the command I posted above in my previous reply, and not rpi-update.

Code: Select all

sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade -y
When I put a new NOOBS image on an SD card too, the new rpi 3 B+ does not boot up.
NOOBS is not an image. If you tried to install NOOBS like a Raspbian image, then it's no wonder it didn't work.
However, when I tried my other image from rpi 3 which was updated time to time, I am able to boot it.
Then your 3B+ is okay, and there is something wrong with the procedure you are using to prepare the SD cards.
Please suggest me resources to properly install NOOBS. I have never did NOOBS earlier. I only do raspbian.
Why do you want to use NOOBS? It's not an OS, it just installs an OS.
If not, can I try other OS like ubuntu etc?
Some of the other OS options have not yet been updated to support the newer 3B+ model (Ubuntu included).

However, the latest versions of Raspbian and NOOBS will work if the SD card is properly made.

The Raspbian images need to be written to the card with an image writer (I recommend Etcher from https://etcher.io/). You don't need to format the card or even extract the image file from the .zip download when using Etcher. Just run Etcher, choose the downloaded Raspbian image .zip file, choose your SD card and write. Etcher will unzip the image, write the image and verify the card, and then safely eject the card from your computer.

For NOOBS you must extract the files from the .zip download and copy them to a FAT32 formatted micro SD card. The files contained in the NOOBS archive go into the root directory of the SD card, not in a folder.
Last edited by HawaiianPi on Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Joel_Mckay

Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:04 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:41 am
Some of the other OS options have not yet been updated to support the newer 3B+ model (Ubuntu included).
I am inclined to agree, as initially I tried MATE only to see an emaciated deprecated package list.
The Raspbian Stretch repo is far from perfect, but at least most of the recent builds are there like a normal debian install.

Is it possible to see a photo of the top of the pi board setup?
if grajasumant install boots on a pi3, than the pi3b+ should certainly also work with the same sdcard.

The only conclusion I can surmise is:
1. The power supply can't handle the 1.8A peak load of the 3B+
2. There is a problem with his board (ESD event maybe)
3. It is not a pi3B+
4. some odd software issue yet to be defined

PhilE
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:21 am

if grajasumant install boots on a pi3, than the pi3b+ should certainly also work with the same sdcard.
This is nonsense. There are many differences between the 3B and the 3B+, many of which mean that an old image that works on a 3B could never work on a 3B+.

Joel_Mckay

Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:09 am

PhilE wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:21 am
This is nonsense. There are many differences between the 3B and the 3B+, many of which mean that an old image that works on a 3B could never work on a 3B+.
Perhaps we should start with what does work on the old system, and try to determine the actual image snapshot age installed:
uname -a
cat /proc/cpuinfo
cat /etc/os-release

Correct me if I am wrong, but he would have had to installed something from before February of this year for your assertion to make sense.
Anyway, I am sure it is something subtle, but trivial... like most computer problems.
;-)

jamesh

Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:13 am

I think we need to return to first principles.

Download the latest version of Raspbian from here https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

Using Etcher, put that image on a SD card of 8GB or more. (https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... windows.md)

Insert card to Pi (with connected keyboard and mouse and monitor) and turn on. Make sure you have a decent power supply, and the USB power cable is also of decent quality.

If this still does't work, tell us the exact symptoms.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

Return to “Troubleshooting”