nikitnik

Raspberry PI 3 stucks on networking.service on boot Raspbian

Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:57 am

Hello I'm currently installing Raspbian in PI V3 Model B+ After installing it works properly for first day but next day when i start my PI it get stucks on networking.service on boot and pi never starts even after waiting for hours. Even though i'm connected to internet

Important: I have a pre installed Noobs image file and i write it on new formatted SD card using Win32DiskImager for new PI install. Is that causing the issue ?

I do following changes in files after installation like no blank screen, quiet clean boot, etc.

Code: Select all

etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE (autostart)

@lxpanel --profile LXDE
@pcmanfm --desktop --profile LXDE
@xscreensaver -no-splash
@xset s noblank
@xset s off
@xset s -dpms

/home/pi/.config/lxsession/LXDE-pi (autostart)
@lxpanel --profile LXDE-pi
@pcmanfm --desktop --profile LXDE-pi
@xscreensaver -no-splash
@point-rpi
@chromium-browser --noerrordialogs --kiosk --incognito --touch-events=enabled --disable-pinch --noerrdialogs --disable-session-crashed-bubble http://www.google.com

/boot (config.txt)
uncomment/replace:
framebuffer_width=1920
framebuffer_height=1080

/boot (cmdline.txt)
replace full command:
dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=serial0,115200 console=tty3 root=/dev/mmcblk0p7 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline rootwait splash quiet loglevel=0 plymouth.ignore-serial-consoles logo.nologo consoleblank=0 vt.global_cursor_default=0

/etc/lightdm (lightdm.conf)
add in Seat:* seaction
xserver-command=X -s 0 -dpms

/usr/share/plymouth/themes/pix 
replace splash.png

Joel_Mckay

Re: Raspberry PI 3 stucks on networking.service on boot Raspbian

Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:03 am

First check your HDMI input port, and make sure you boot when the TV is already On.

This fork supports GPU enabled VLC, desktop, and flash 12.
Midori is not the most stable browser, but at least you-tube and WebGL works:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/microm ... -pi/files/

I couldn't make it any smaller as it is a compressed 32GB image, but it includes most tweaks you will need.
Using etcher to install a compressed disk image:
http://www.micrometer.xyz/cdn/node/26
note it boots into a read-only OS overlay mode by default, so it is not easy to damage the OS

It is based on Stretch, with about 100 different patches applied to make it actually usable.
So far we have about 60+ downloads with no complaints (note the ufw firewall is on by default), but I have already begun improving the performance tweaks. Also, the Rasbian repo will hopefully eventually overwrite the patched packages we needed to use...

We have successfully tested LG, ASUS, BenQ, Sony and Samsung HDMI TV/monitors with this Frankenstein fork.
You will only be prompted in lightdm to login as user pi... :-)

Good luck,
J

nikitnik

Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:25 am

Joel_Mckay wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:03 am
First check your HDMI input port, and make sure you boot when the TV is already On.

This fork supports GPU enabled VLC, desktop, and flash 12.
Midori is not the most stable browser, but at least you-tube and WebGL works:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/microm ... -pi/files/

I couldn't make it any smaller as it is a compressed 32GB image, but it includes most tweaks you will need.
Using etcher to install a compressed disk image:
http://www.micrometer.xyz/cdn/node/26
note it boots into a read-only OS overlay mode by default, so it is not easy to damage the OS

It is based on Stretch, with about 100 different patches applied to make it actually usable.
So far we have about 60+ downloads with no complaints (note the ufw firewall is on by default), but I have already begun improving the performance tweaks. Also, the Rasbian repo will hopefully eventually overwrite the patched packages we needed to use...

We have successfully tested LG, ASUS, BenQ, Sony and Samsung HDMI TV/monitors with this Frankenstein fork.
You will only be prompted in lightdm to login as user pi... :-)

Good luck,
J
Thanks but i dont think its issue of HDMI, its related to network issue

Joel_Mckay

Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:47 am

There was a vc4 system hang bug one of the Rasberry kernel devs recently fixed.

Also, if the UUID changed on the drives for some reason, than fstab won't know what to look at after the kernel loads.
Best of luck,
J

nikitnik

Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:38 am

Joel_Mckay wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:47 am
There was a vc4 system hang bug one of the Rasberry kernel devs recently fixed.

Also, if the UUID changed on the drives for some reason, than fstab won't know what to look at after the kernel loads.
Best of luck,
J
Thanks for letting me know about this, so any updates they have released ? I installed Raspbain using lastest Noobs v2.8.2

Joel_Mckay

Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:25 am

No idea, I simply did the default Raspbian Stretch kernel pull, added the vc4-drm workaround patch manually, and enabled AUFS and Overlay support.
One bug remains, in that you need to restart midori once to load flash or youtube video...
(If someone has a fix for this, I can mail them something nice from our project.)

Our group just got tied of fixing the same bug 12 times in a row ;-)
The official repo will eventually overwrite our deprecated "hold" packages if and when they actually start to work.

I setup the default user pi with all the tweaks people would normally have to do themselves:
* bleachbit runs on login to clean flash cache and midori/webkit site cache
* firewall IP ban list updater gui
* various SDR tools I use, and verified actually work unlike the repo versions at the time (probably still broken)
* dozens of other tools not easily identifiable by new users due to terrible naming conventions and outdated online tutorials

We will probably do this project again next year if official branches are still borked.

I would be curious if your system can boot with it, and note it will initially reboot a few times as it auto partitions to fill the sdcard and re-key SSH.

Return to “Troubleshooting”