Grumpy Mike

Is it possible to run Xilinx ISE on the Pi

Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:19 pm

I have a Logi-pi FPGA board, and was hoping to develop some code to run on it. The instructions on the Logi-pi site seem to suggest you can run run Xilinx ISE on the Pi, but other web sites say you can't.

I have down loaded the 7G or so tar file and unpacked it, but I can't get the xsetup to run. Specifically:-

Do you need much more memory to run the setup? Some webpages for the Windows 10 installation suggest you need another 16G free.
Is the Pi suitable for running this code?

Thanks

fruitoftheloom

Re: Is it possible to run Xilinx ISE on the Pi

Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:24 pm

Grumpy Mike wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:19 pm
I have a Logi-pi FPGA board, and was hoping to develop some code to run on it. The instructions on the Logi-pi site seem to suggest you can run run Xilinx ISE on the Pi, but other web sites say you can't.

I have down loaded the 7G or so tar file and unpacked it, but I can't get the xsetup to run. Specifically:-

Do you need much more memory to run the setup? Some webpages for the Windows 10 installation suggest you need another 16G free.
Is the Pi suitable for running this code?

Thanks

Is this product you are relating to ?

http://valentfx.com/logi-pi/
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

Grumpy Mike

Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:51 pm

Yes that is the one. However I haven't found that page with the contact tab, so maybe I should ask them?
Anyway do you know.
Cheers

Grumpy Mike

Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:47 pm

Well after almost a week there has been no reply from Valentfx, I wonder if they have gone bust or is it just that they don't care.

Anyway I started on an alternative solution and after a week of considerable effort I have managed to get my first LEDs blinking from a file I compiled myself.

It looks unlikely that the Pi can do it, if it could it would need at least a 64 Gig SD card to run and a lot of messing about with the 7 Gig tar file.

For anyone interested I used a Mac with Virtual Box running a copy of Ubuntu. Due to the size of the hard drive needed I ran most of the files from an external USB drive which did make the Ubuntu run very slow, like the original Pis. A sort of click and wait. It runs fine with the virtual drives on the Mac but I can't spare the 35 Gig space it needed. It took two days to find out how to make the Virtual Box share a folder with the Mac but installing "Device Additions" into Ubuntu was the key.

Installing the Xilinx ISE development tool and getting it licensed took a day, and sorting out how to use it and where it put its files another. Warning if you use the source code for the LED blink demo, it has a folder with a .bit file in it. This is not the place that the ISE puts the file and to make matters worse it is a file for the Beagle bone version of the FPGA board, which won't work with the Pi version. That had me fooled for a time until I noticed the creation file on that .bit file didn't change.

So that's it for anyone else searching for this issue.

Knulli

Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:05 pm

I also run into problems installing Xilinx ISE 14.7 on a Raspi.
Unzip (tar) and 64GB SD Card works without problems.

But I got an permission error, when starting the xsetup script.
Can anyone help me?

Knulli

Knulli

Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:05 pm

OK, permission error was an issue with extracting the tar. Current Raspbian Stretch (xarchiver 0.5.4) "forgots" to set the x flag of the script.
So "manually" extracting again with command line
tar -xvf Xilinx_ISE_DS_Lin_14.7_1015_1.tar
fixed this.

Next issue:
The scripts finally called a binary executeable.
I got an error:
/home/pi/Downloads/Xilinx_ISE_DS_Lin_14.7_1015_1/bin/lin/_xsetup: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error

Is that the end of my experiments with ISE on Pi?

:-(

Return to “Troubleshooting”