qqil

SSH wrong password

Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:07 am

I'm having problem to ssh again to my raspberry.

One day i connected to my raspberry via ssh and all was fine. On the next day when i tried to connect again - wrong password.

Maybe someone know what it could be? I was using default login/password (pi/raspberry).

P.S. keyboard layouts, languages, etc... is not the reason.

jbudd

Re: SSH wrong password

Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:06 am

Maybe someone know what it could be? I was using default login/password (pi/raspberry).
Somebody else changed the password?
The Pi's IP address changed and you are trying to SSH to the wrong device?
Caps Lock is on?

LTolledo

Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:51 am

Welcome to the Forums!

Your RPi accessing the network via WiFi? Ethernet LAN Cable?
The previous IP address that worked is now probably used by another device
And when you try to SSH to it using the new IP address, you got the error...

Are these correct?

Better if you can post the error message here for us to be "enlightened" to your problem...
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

tpyo kingg

Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:02 am

qqil wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:07 am
If you can log in at the console you can check the system logs and see when the last logins were and where they are from, assuming the logs weren't compromised too.

However, if you had the machine exposed to the net while still using the default password, then the machine is no longer yours and needs to be unplugged from the net and then reinstalled. If you do plan to reconnect it to the net please change the default password before turning on SSH. Otherwise some script will find it and take it over.

Using SSH Key-based authentication and turning off password authentication is considered a good practice, too.

n67

Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:44 pm

I thought that was fixed - ages ago - by having it nag you if both of the following are true:

1) SSH is enabled
2) The password is still the default

I mean, I suppose people could continue to ignore the nag, but it is pretty "in your face". Hard to believe that people would just ignore it (and not report that fact when posting to the forum).

And this is as good a time as any for me to point out once again that there is no need for there to be any "default" password (on the "pi" account) at all. There should not be. This is because:

1) The default, out-of-the-box setup is to boot into the desktop with no password prompt. This, obviously, works without need for there to be any password.

2) When "ssh" is setup, then - and only then - should there be a password.

Notes:

1) My point, of course, is that if there isn't a default password ("raspberry"), then all the security concerns about people running with a default password would become moot.

2) For headless setup, we could say that the contents of the "ssh" file dropped into /boot would be the new password. Until now, we've always said that the contents of the file is irrelevant. Now, it would no longer be.

3) In typing this up, I just realized an exception: What if one's only connection to the machine is via serial cable? That's a case where you'd actually need the default password to be in place and ready-to-go.

That actually is me on many occasions. Well, if that's you, you can figure out a way. I assume anyone in that situation could figure out how to deal with it.

I actually think there's a lot to say for the machine being setup to auto-login on the serial port - so if you can connect the cable, you are in. I've setup several machine (Pis and other machines) this way - pre-systemd. It is on my TODO list to figure out how to do it on the Pi with systemd.
"L'enfer, c'est les autres"

G fytc hsqr rum umpbq rm qyw rm rfc kmbq md rfgq dmpsk:

Epmu Sn!

J lnacjrw njbruh-carppnanm vxm rb mnuncrwp vh yxbcb!

Return to “Troubleshooting”