oldjake

Is my Pi alive?

Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:35 am

Hi all

I've got a new Pi Zero set up as a remote security camera which uploads to Google Drive. At the moment, it's not responding through the browser, or through ssh. ssh just sits there... no errors or anything. ssh -vvv says that a connection is established. If I ping it from another Pi on the network, the responses vary from 5ms to 200+ms which might imply that it's doing some processing.

If it records a long video, it converts it to mp4 so it's working quite hard.

What I'm wondering is whether there is any nmap type command to see if it's actually alive and just really busy or whether the ping is a red herring and the OS is dead. I don't want to pull the plug on it if it's just processing video as whatever is there will be lost.

Cheers
Andy

hippy

Re: Is my Pi alive?

Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:42 am

If it is responding to a ping that means it's not completely dead because what a ping sends back is more than just the LAN interfacing hardware can produce alone.

oldjake

Re: Is my Pi alive?

Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:52 am

Ah, that's interesting, thank you. I always thought that a ping just proved that the network interface had power.

Interestingly, I just tried connecting through the browser. The interface is protected using .htaccess and it came up and asked me for the username and password. I entered it and just got a white screen. So, it looks like Apache is running - I don't think that can have been a cached response.

I'm at work at the moment and I'll probably just pull the plug on it when I get home. I'm just curious as to whether this might be salvageable with a bit of patience. I've got a few of these but one is a Pi 3b+ and that copes with anything. The other is a Zero but never records anything over about a minute. With this one, I might have to change the settings to that it splits the videos.

Oh, it also managed to upload the thumbnail to Google Drive before it hung so I'm assuming that it's either boxing the video and/or trying to upload a 1gb mp4 over wireless.

Return to “Troubleshooting”