rromano001

no Wireless interfaces found (Again)

Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:59 am

Hi, this is my first post here, I live in Italy and I develop software and hardware linux, embedded microcontroller and FPGA based.
I started new project on raspberry zero W, 1st installed NOOBS_v2_8_2, all was needed for. After that I activated USB gadget and some nightmare started with...
USB interface went fine first but wireless got down, after reboot both where down and unreachable.
Tweaking with keyboard and mouse I blacklisted IPV6, USB0 went up again but not wifi.
I lost a lot of time also browsing forum and goggling about, nothing was pointing culprit.
Booting up with a fresh SD excluded possible hardware failure, also interface is listed by ifconfig.
Work was primary goal so I left as is for a while.

Today I get some spare time to point from where trouble come from:

Mouse over wlan icon say two messages, on click "no wireless Interface found" as reported by many here. Just passing over icon report "connection to dhcpcd lost".
The attachment dhcpcdlost.jpeg is no longer available
Starting daemon solved but again fail next reboot.
dhcpcdlost.jpeg
DHCPCD lost
dhcpcdlost.jpeg (190.5 KiB) Viewed 158 times
No more idea from where this failure come but more work is in progress.
Thank a lot for all suggestion I seen on these fora, I wait for some hint to go to root of this.
Best regards to all.
Roberto

rromano001

Re: no Wireless interfaces found (Again)

Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:51 pm

I see second picture is missing.
can be picture limit or privacy about IP negotiation/forum rule.
It reported echo from activating command
sudo dhcpcd
after that icon get regular and connect again to WIFI. Also Wireless & network setting (was locked) open regularly.
Regards

ebaierl

Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:39 pm

I've got this issue as well. I set up my Zero W headless, never had it connected to a monitor since I don't have an HDMI adapter yet (its on the way). I had it set up, connected to the wifi, seemed fine. I was able to ssh into it, update/upgrade went fine. Forgot about it for a few days with other projects. Went back a few days ago and its not on the network. Tried doing a full reinstall of Raspbian Stretch, added ssh and wpa_supplicant.conf, had them all setup correctly and it simply does not connect to the wifi network at all. When the HDMI adapter arrives, I'll connect it to a display to see if I can figure anything out, but for now, its useless.

PhatFil

Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:09 am

may i suggest you try a minimal wpa_supplicant.conf file such as

Code: Select all

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
country=GB

network={
        ssid="your ssid"
        psk="your psk"
}
Adding extra settings such as key_mngt if no success,

not forgetting the gotcha that windows will add the '.txt' extension to your text files with many basic editors, just check your not hiding known extensions with your explorer views and or use the right click - properties dialog to confirm full filenames.

rromano001

Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:02 am

Hi ebaierl, not many details about your configuration, areyou using Linux on desktop? If so, insert sd on a card reader and edit etc files to blacklist IPV6.
No diagnostic on your router or network traffic?
You can also try gadget configuration, but again after upgrade sometime it break and you need access desktop or get control at almost by TTY.
Solution if you are aquainted enough with command line is to wire up console to serial interface than inspect configuratio and status.
My Image was got from linux desktop exported screen or VNC.
Regards
Roberto

rromano001

Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:13 am

Hi PhatFil i read your suggestion
>> » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:09 am
>> may i suggest you try a minimal wpa_supplicant.conf file such as

My supplicant file was that but no success after update, I fear something went wrong and behave differently on some setup. This is strange for a linux based but reading from forum and what I learned it can be. We need more in deep infromation from what is installed and changed on failing unit to do some cross test about,
I am starting a fresh install in a short time, I got some SD to do as much confidence test as possible and have a fail/success table driven by install results.
Time is not on my side now and I have to return to FPGA work, I need TCPIP is for now is ok after some patch, keyboard and monitor or USB gadget/serial console are all fine.

Return to “Troubleshooting”