alvian

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ Won't Boot - Beginner Out of Ideas

Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:23 am

Hello Raspberry Pi users,

My Raspberry Pi 3 B+ adventure lasted 30 minutes and now it won't boot at all. Any suggestion on what to do next? I have read "STICKY: Is your Pi not booting? (The Boot Problems Sticky)" multiple times and attempted the suggestions it contains, but nothing seems to help.

Hardware:
New Raspberry Pi 3 B+
New official power supply
Sony portable power bank CP-F2L (https://store.sony.com.au/portable-power/CPF2LS.html)
Belkin Dual Wall USB Charger F8J003AU04 (https://www.belkin.com/au/p/P-F8J003/)
New official case
microSDHC cards:
- (Brand new in pack) Samsung Pro 16GB Class 10 (MB-MGAGB, reported working on https://elinux.org/RPi_SD_cards)
- Sandisk Ultra USH-1 48MB/s 8GB Class 10 (SDSQUNB-008G-GN3MN, 16GB version reported working on https://elinux.org/RPi_SD_cards)
Lexar JumpDrive 8GB USB flash drive
HDMI cable (verified working)
Microsoft Wireless Desktop 3000
Fission (ALDI brand) USB2.0 66-in-1 card reader (SDHC & microSD v2.0)
Toshiba Satellite Pro L850
Samsung 2333HD monitor

Software:
Windows 8.1 x64
WinRAR 5.50 x64 (for zip extraction)
RapidCRC Unicode 0.3.24 (for calculating SHA-256 checksum)
h2testw 1.4 (for SD card write & read verification)
SD Formatter 005 from https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/format ... a_windows/
Etcher 1.4.4 x64 from https://etcher.io/
Win32DiskImager from https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/
NOOBS 2.8.2 "Offline and network install" from https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/NOOBS_latest
Raspbian Stetch Lite 2018-06-27 from https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian_lite_latest

What happened in the beginning:
1. On Windows 8.1, I used SD Formatter to overwrite format a brand new Samsung Pro 16GB microSDHC card.
2. I used WinRAR to extract the content of NOOBS directly to the root folder of the card.
3. I put the RPi 3B+ board in its case, hooked up the monitor and switched it to HDMI, inserted USB wireless dongle for KB & mouse to RPi, inserted microSDHC card and then applied power from the official power supply by inserting the microUSB power cord.
4. RPi started NOOB, successfully installed Raspbian Desktop, started Raspbian and then it went through its first-boot configuration wizard. I skipped updating Raspbian and connecting to Wi-Fi.
5. The first-boot configuration wizard requested a reboot, I let it reboot and my RPi 3B+ has not booted ever since.
6. Read troubleshooting guide at viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58151

Symptom: RPi 3B+ will not boot. Power LED is lit and Activity LED is dim. There are no regular or irregular flashes coming from the ACT LED. HDMI monitor reports no signal coming from RPi.

Troubleshooting steps already taken:

1. Removed power cord and microSDHC card. Let RPi rest. Re-inserted microSDHC card and power cord. No boot. Power LED is lit and Activity LED is dim. HDMI monitor reports no signal coming from RPi. (Multiple attempts.)

2. Verified with RapidCRC the SHA256 checksums of NOOBS_v2.8.2.zip and 2018-06-27-raspbian-stretch-lite.zip. Tested the contents of both zip files with WinRAR. All good.

3. Reflashed card and tried to reinstall OS: Removed the Samsung Pro microSDHC card from RPi, overwrite format it in Windows with SD Formatter, and extracted NOOBS to root folder of the card with WinRAR. Inserted card back into RPi 3B+, powered on. No boot. Power LED is lit and Activity LED is dim. No HDMI signal.

4. Substituted the Samsung Pro card with an used Sandisk Ultra card. Went through a full format and extraction of NOOBS with SD Formatter and WinRAR on the Sandisk Ultra. Tried this card in RPi. No boot. Power LED is lit and Activity LED is dim. No HDMI signal.

5. Overwrite format both the Samsung Pro and Sandisk Ultra cards with SD Formatter, write and read verify both cards with h2testw. The cards are fine.

6. Used Etcher to flash 2018-06-27-raspbian-stretch-lite.zip directly on to both the Samsung Pro and Sandisk Ultra cards. Etcher reported both images verified OK.

7. Tried each card in turn in the RPi. No boot. Power LED is lit and Activity LED is dim. No HDMI signal.

8. Extracted IMG from 2018-06-27-raspbian-stretch-lite.zip and used Win32DiskImager to flash both the Samsung Pro and Sandisk Ultra cards.

9. Tried each card in turn in the RPi. No boot. Power LED is lit and Activity LED is dim. No HDMI signal.

10. Suspected damaged pins on RPi's microSD card reader.

11. A forum post (viewtopic.php?t=217308#p1338686) said the RPi 3B+ can boot from an 8GB or larger USB flash drive if I use Etcher to flash an image on to it. Used Etcher to flash 2018-06-27-raspbian-stretch-lite.zip directly on to Lexar JumpDrive 8GB. Etcher reported image verified OK.

12. With no microSDHC card in the RPi, I plugged in the Lexar USB drive to the RPi and applied power. No boot. Power LED is lit and Activity LED is dim. No HDMI signal. The light on the JumpDrive did not flash.

13. The pins on RPi's microSD card reader are probably OK. Somebody suggested taking the RPi board out of the case and to not fully insert the microSDHC cards. It did not change anything.

14. Used the official RPi power supply to charge a Sony portable powerbank. It is working.

15. Used the portable powerbank and a Belkin wall charger in lieu of the official RPi power supply and re-tested everything. These two devices can only output 2.1A maximum at 5.0V, but I didn't know what else I could do. No boot. Power LED is lit and Activity LED is dim. No HDMI signal.

I am out of ideas. Is there anything else I can try? Is there any RPi Expert in Sydney Australia willing to lend a hand?

Thanks for reading this post.
Alvian.

wh7qq

Re: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ Won't Boot - Beginner Out of Ideas

Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:14 am

The first thing is to verify the downloaded .zip file of Raspbian Desktop Edition. Forget about NOOBS, Raspbian-lite, WinRAR, SD Formatter and all the rest of that "stuff". All you need is the] .zip file as downloaded and if you have not downloaded "Raspbian Stretch with Desktop", do so now. An sha256sum is published on the same web page (above in "Downloads"). There are various free windows programs to check the sha256sum of the .zip file and you can find one on the web. If your Raspbian download is good (sha256sums match), forget about formatting with the SD Format program and just use Etcher to burn the uSD card. It will unzip the file, format the uSD card and burn the image to the uSD card in one step. You should be left with a properly burned uSD. Windows will not "see" the larger partition with all the programs...not to worry.

Go back to basics with no case and disconnect everything from the RPi except for keyboard, mouse and monitor, insert uSD card in the receptacle and be sure it is in the right way up (gold contacts facing the PC board) and fully seated. Plug the official supply directly into the micro USB port on the 3B+ and it should boot to a desktop. If not, try burning the same .zip file (with Etcher) on a different uSD card and try that. With a good uSD card, you should see activity on the monitor...some text and a Raspbian flash screen and then the Lxde desktop with the familiar roadway picture and a panel at top.

Failing the above, where did you get the 3B+ and power supply? Note that the official 3B+ supply is rated for 2.5 amps at 5 volts. Nothing less than that will work on a 3B+. Phone chargers are not dependable for powering the RPi as they may not be sufficiently filtered and regulated and phone battery packs may also be lacking, expecially as the actual batteries drop below full charge. The "official" supplies are pretty cheap so you won't be hocking the crown jewels to get one if yours is not an actual official supply..

If you got your RPi from a local source, go back to them if you are absolutely unable to get the thing booting. If you got it from a far-east auction house, all bets are off but if you mail ordered from one of the RPi vendors listed above in the "Buy" section of this web page, you can contact them for a return authorization. Very few genuine RPis actually fail, as they have been tested and booted up before they leave the factory.

alvian

Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:55 pm

My RPi 3B+, the official RPi power supply (output 5.1V 2.5A), and the official RPi case were purchased from Arrow.com.

I rested my RPi 3B+ for 2 days. Nothing was plugged into the board. No power was applied.

Downloaded 2018-06-27-raspbian-stretch.zip from https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian_latest

Verified SHA256 8636ab9fdd8f58a8ec7dde33b83747696d31711d17ef68267dbbcd6cfb968c24 against the checksum on the download page.

Flashed 2018-06-27-raspbian-stretch.zip using Etcher to my (1) Samsung Pro 16GB SD card and (2) Sandisk Ultra 8GB SD card. Etcher reported success. Etcher created 3 partitions on the cards. Partition 1: 43.20MB FAT32 [boot], Partition 2: 4.45GB ext4 [rootfs], Partition 3: 10.43GB/2.91GB unallocated.

Removed RPi board from case.

Inserted Samsung Pro 16GB SD card into RPi (gold contacts facing PCB). Connected HDMI cable between RPi and monitor. Nothing else was connected. Switched on monitor and selected HDMI input. Inserted microUSB plug from official RPi power supply into RPi and switched on power.

Result (1): No boot. Power LED is lit and Activity LED is dim. There were no regular or irregular flashes coming from the ACT LED. HDMI monitor reported no signal coming from RPi.

Removed microUSB plug from power supply. Replaced Samsung Pro 16GB SD card with Sandisk Ultra 8GB SD card. Reconnected microUSB plug from power supply.

Result (2): No boot. Power LED is lit and Activity LED is dim. There were no regular or irregular flashes coming from the ACT LED. HDMI monitor reported no signal coming from RPi.

Repeated again with USB dongle for KB & mouse inserted.

Results (3) & (4): No boot. Power LED is lit and Activity LED is dim. There were no regular or irregular flashes coming from the ACT LED. HDMI monitor reported no signal coming from RPi.

Is there anything else I should do?

zosman

Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:07 am

i'm experiencing the same symptoms more here: viewtopic.php?f=91&t=219875

i actually got mine from arrow.com too, maybe they got a bad shipment?

k-pi

Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:12 am

I put the RPi 3B+ board in its case, hooked up the monitor and switched it to HDMI, inserted USB wireless dongle for KB & mouse to RPi, inserted microSDHC card and then applied power from the official power supply by inserting the microUSB power cord.
That could be a bit of a problem, mine doesn't like a wireless keyboard & touchpad, but works fine with a regular USB keyboard & USB mouse. 8-)

drgeoff

Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:50 am

k-pi wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:12 am
I put the RPi 3B+ board in its case, hooked up the monitor and switched it to HDMI, inserted USB wireless dongle for KB & mouse to RPi, inserted microSDHC card and then applied power from the official power supply by inserting the microUSB power cord.
That could be a bit of a problem, mine doesn't like a wireless keyboard & touchpad, but works fine with a regular USB keyboard & USB mouse. 8-)
@k-pi
But do the wireless keyboard and touchpad make your RPi not boot?

k-pi

Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:34 pm

Not sure if yours may draw more power than mine was why I thought to mention it, that's all.

alvian

Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:48 pm

My RPi 3 B+ will not boot regardless of whether the wireless KB & mouse dongle is inserted or not. Both scenarios already tried. In the first test series the dongle was inserted. In the second series of tests suggested by wh7qq the dongle was left out.
Second test series: Inserted SD card into RPi (gold contacts facing PCB). Connected HDMI cable between RPi and monitor. Nothing else was connected. Inserted microUSB plug from official RPi power supply into RPi and switched on power.
Wouldn't using an USB KB & an USB mouse together (2 devices) draw more current than a single USB wireless dongle (1 device)? These low power USB peripherals can each draw a maximum of 100mA at 5V, or 0.5W.

wh7qq

Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:09 pm

You have pretty well exhausted the possibilities. Probably you should contact Arrow for a return authorization. Problem is that if it boots for them, they will likely charge you for the service.

But one more thing to try...a small patch of invisible tape or the sticky end of a post-it note on the non-contact side of the uSD card. Sometimes they just don't make a good contact. The patch should be smaller than the width of the uSD card and not overlapping the sides or end and if it won't enter the card holder cleanly, get some thinner material...or forget it...do not force it to scrape off the tape.

drgeoff

Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:19 pm

wh7qq wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:09 pm
But one more thing to try...a small patch of invisible tape or the sticky end of a post-it note on the non-contact side of the uSD card. Sometimes they just don't make a good contact. The patch should be smaller than the width of the uSD card and not overlapping the sides or end and if it won't enter the card holder cleanly, get some thinner material...or forget it...do not force it to scrape off the tape.
But even if that was the problem the RPi 3B+ should have booted from the USB flash drive when the OP tried that. It didn't.

alvian

Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:39 am

Arrow.com have issued a refund for my defective RPi and told me to order a new one instead. They said it is uneconomical to exchange the RPi due to the cost of postage.

I am pondering whether I should buy another because I am scared the next RPi will die on me the same way. Here in Australia, I have already have reports of 4 other RPi 3B+ units purchased from Arrow.com within the past fortnight that died after 1 to 2 reboots. Two of these units were purchased by the same person too. The Boot Problem Sticky Post emphasised that every RPi was tested before leaving the factory, that the chances of receiving a faulty RPi are extremely slim, and yet these short-lived units were not weeded out.

RaTTuS

Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:30 am

I'll take it off you if you want to send it to me in the UK....

an you take some HI res photos of both sides of the board and upload to imgur.com

as you have a refund - it may be worth taking a punt on a new one...

do you have any way of measuring the A/C voltage in your house ?
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

hippy

Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:42 am

alvian wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:39 am
I am pondering whether I should buy another because I am scared the next RPi will die on me the same way. Here in Australia, I have already have reports of 4 other RPi 3B+ units purchased from Arrow.com within the past fortnight that died after 1 to 2 reboots. Two of these units were purchased by the same person too. The Boot Problem Sticky Post emphasised that every RPi was tested before leaving the factory, that the chances of receiving a faulty RPi are extremely slim, and yet these short-lived units were not weeded out.
Factory testing can only check things are working as expected and cannot predict future failures. That avoids boards being dead on arrival ( unless damaged in the post ) but cannot prevent subsequent unexpected failures.

There do seem to be a growing number of reports of Pi 3B+ having failed for no identified reason but considering the numbers sold this is almost certainly a very small minority.

I imagine mods will have noticed the increasing number of those reports and will have brought that to the Foundation's attention and I would expect retailers to also report back when boards were failing and they were having to issue replacements but it may be worth bringing the issue explicitly to the Foundation's attention.

I am not sure what would be the best way to do that. You could report one of your own posts to bring the issue to a mods attention.

4wd

Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:49 am

Here in Australia, I have already have reports of 4 other RPi 3B+ units purchased from Arrow.com within the past fortnight that died after 1 to 2 reboots.
I'll make it five then, I've got exactly the same problem with a RPi 3B+ I received from Arrow.com within the last 2 weeks.

Was going to use it for Win10 IoT but it just sat at the rainbow screen for 10 mins, so I loaded DietPi onto an uSD card and it booted off that but when it rebooted to finish setting up it didn't come back.

Power LED only, no Activity LED at all - tried different PSUs (including official), HDMI lead, uSD cards, Raspbian lite, NOOBs, Raspbian Desktop top ... nothing seems to work.

I have two other RasPi's, (1B and 2B), both running on DietPi without a problem for a year or so, so this isn't really a new toy for me.

hippy

Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:27 am

4wd wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:49 am
I'll make it five then, I've got exactly the same problem with a RPi 3B+ I received from Arrow.com within the last 2 weeks.
I have noticed at least 30 reports on the forum of Pi 3B+ boards inexplicably failing after working in the last few months. Most are reports from people who seem to know what they are doing, discounting 'newbie errors' and where a cause for failure could be attributed such as shorting power pins or applying over voltage.

There seems to be three distinct classes of possible Pi 3B+ power control related issues revealed so far -

1) Boards permanently not booting after shorting 3V3. User error but that seems to be more terminal with the 3B+ then other Pi boards.

2) Boards failing for so far unidentified reasons after working. Often presenting as Power LED on, no Activity LED, no 3V3 supply present.

3) Some add-ons which work with other Pi's preventing the 3B+ from booting until removed.

4wd

Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:44 am

hippy wrote: 2) Boards failing for so far unidentified reasons after working. Often presenting as Power LED on, no Activity LED, no 3V3 supply present.
At the moment, mine seems to fall into that category since it was working fine on DietPi until it had to reboot ... and then nothing.

I took the up-to-date DietPi uSD from my old RasPi 2B and tried to boot the 3B+ just in case something went wrong with the uSD I was using but no activity indication at all and the uSD worked fine when I plugged it back into the 2B.

If it makes a difference the QR Code on the board is marked 21/05 and decodes to: 0000011016586497

At this time I've put through an RMA with Arrow.com so I'm waiting to see what they say.

hippy

Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:16 am

4wd wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:44 am
I took the up-to-date DietPi uSD from my old RasPi 2B and tried to boot the 3B+ just in case something went wrong with the uSD I was using but no activity indication at all and the uSD worked fine when I plugged it back into the 2B.
I am not sure if that is enough to prove it falls into the same category or not. There will always be some suspicion or possibility that it isn't. Absence of 3V3 is a more definitive measure that it does.

4wd

Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:17 am

hippy wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:16 am
Absence of 3V3 is a more definitive measure that it does.
Official RPi PSU:
PP7: 5.25V
PP8: 5.7mV
PP9: 2.6mV
PP10: 1.89V

alvian

Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:46 am

RaTTuS wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:30 am
I'll take it off you if you want to send it to me in the UK....

an you take some HI res photos of both sides of the board and upload to imgur.com

as you have a refund - it may be worth taking a punt on a new one...

do you have any way of measuring the A/C voltage in your house ?
It will cost me £12 to send it from Australia to the UK, which is approximately 46% of the price of a new RPi 3B+ !! :(

Images - https://imgur.com/a/xoQvtSE

I have a multimeter. It can measure AC voltage in my house.

alvian

Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:54 am

hippy wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:27 am
1) Boards permanently not booting after shorting 3V3. User error but that seems to be more terminal with the 3B+ then other Pi boards.

2) Boards failing for so far unidentified reasons after working. Often presenting as Power LED on, no Activity LED, no 3V3 supply present.

3) Some add-ons which work with other Pi's preventing the 3B+ from booting until removed.
Failure mode 1 - Not with my board. It was never powered up outside of its official case until users in this post asked me to test it sans case. When I powered up the PCB outside of its case I held it in my hand by its edges. No metallic object has ever gotten close to the PCB.

Failure mode 3 - No add-ons here besides the wireless kb/mouse dongle, and I also tested the PCB without the dongle.

Failure mode 2 - That describes my RPi. Can you tell me more about this 3V3 supply please? I have a multimeter. Where do I measure this 3V3?

Burngate

Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:16 am

3v3 is the main supply to the CPU
It's derived (along with several other supplies) from the 5v input, using a specially designed chip - MXL7704, square thing near the power in connector.

To measure it, you can use pin 1 of the GPIO header - though be careful - pins 2 and 4 have 5v on them; you don't want your meter probes to slip and short those!
Or, on the back of the board, PP8 near the SD card socket carries the same 3v3

Burngate

Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:28 am

4wd wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:17 am
PP7: 5.25V
PP8: 5.7mV
PP9: 2.6mV
PP10: 1.89V
PP7 is 5v in, after the polyfuse.
PP8 should be 3v3. Obviously incorrect, at 5.7mV
PP9 should be 1v8. Since this should come up after 3v3, this isn't surprising.
PP10 is the top of the PWR LED. At 1v89, it's glowing!

alvian

Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:21 am

Here are the measurements from my dead board.

PP7 - 5.2 V
PP8 & GPIO pin 1 - Open circuit (Multimeter phantom reading)
PP9 - 3 mV
PP10 - 1.8 V
Last edited by alvian on Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

hippy

Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:28 am

alvian wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:54 am
Failure mode 2 - That describes my RPi. Can you tell me more about this 3V3 supply please? I have a multimeter. Where do I measure this 3V3?
Measuring between Pin 1 (3V3) and Pin 39 (0V) of the 40-way GPIO connector is probably the easiest to avoid shorts to other pins. You can place strips of card between the ones you are measuring and the others to help prevent meter probes touching them -

https://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/wp-co ... 00x900.png

If you have 'dupont jumper leads' with a female end you can connect to Pin 1 and 39, then measure between the ends of those leads. That's a safer approach -

https://www.devobox.com/img/p/4/6/2/462 ... efault.jpg

alvian

Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:15 am

Thanks hippy. I have already taken measurements from the PCB. See the post above yours. PP8/GPIO pin 1 is open circuit, so my RPi is quite dead.

Return to “Troubleshooting”