toldcodger

Dead Pi

Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:55 am

Hi,

I’ve killed my RPI3B+.

It was plugged in and working, I dropped a screw near it and it hit the Pi. The Pi shut down and hasn’t started since.

Please don’t lecture me about covering the Pi etc. I know it was stupid and I feel bad enough :(

I think it either shorted just the 3.3v & 5v pins or, more likely, those two pins and the metal cover on the WiFi circuitry. It literally rolled on and off in a split second. Either way the image on the screen faded to black and now the power led comes on, but there’s no Act Led activity.

I’ve tried the card in an RPI 3 with the same official 3B+ power supply, keyboard, mouse and monitor setup and it works.

Apart from using it for parts or an ornament, is there anything else I can try ?

Please be kind :)

Regards
You should always keep the prime objective in mind.
However, when you’re up to your ass in alligators, it’s hard to remember that you came to drain the swamp. :D

DougieLawson

Re: Dead Pi

Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:25 pm

Time to visit the shop for a new RPi.
Any language using left-hand whitespace for syntax is ridiculous

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

klricks

Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:31 pm

toldcodger wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:55 am
.... is there anything else I can try ?...
No..
Read this and the links within: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=219167
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

davidcoton

Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:56 pm

There is one small hope. If you only shorted 5V to ground, it may have blown the polyfuse. This will recover if left unpowered for a few hours/overnight. So try again after 24 hours.
OTOH, the evidence from similar accidents reported here is that shorting 5V to 3V3, or 3V3 to ground, is instantly fatal.
Location: 345th cell on the right of the 210th row of L2 cache

toldcodger

Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:17 am

Thanks guys,

I knew it was a forlorn hope but it’s always worth asking :)

I remembered seeing that trick with the polyfuse so I left the it powered off for a couple of days and it was the same. :(

My fine soldering skills are non existent so I may hand it over to friend who’s a wizard with electronics in general. He can’t break it can he :)

Thanks again

Regards

Dave
You should always keep the prime objective in mind.
However, when you’re up to your ass in alligators, it’s hard to remember that you came to drain the swamp. :D

Return to “Troubleshooting”