camatthew

I need help to boot my RPi.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:51 pm

When ever i plug in my pi the greenlight is off. I tried a different sd card and also the index card trick Please Help. :?

pcmanbob

Re: I need help

Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:32 pm

I suggest you read the not booting sticky

viewtopic.php?t=58151
Remember we want information.......................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading is not supported

fruitoftheloom

Re: I need help

Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:48 am

To expand on above, the Boot Problem Post contains all known scenario's of why your RPi can not boot up.

Once you have worked through the Post, post back in this post with what you do not understand:

Raspberry Pi SBC model ??

Operating System installed with or without NoobS ??
Adieu

camatthew

Re: I need help to boot my RPi.

Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:47 pm

The part I don't understand is how it doesent boot even though I have a working sd card with a fresh os. Also the problem isn't due to the power cord or brick because I tried multiple ones. Also I have a goo 3b

gkaiseril

Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:29 pm

There are many many reasons.

Many builtin card readers do not properly write to the new high speed micro SD cards. I always use an external USB card reader.

Not properly copying the files to the correct directory on the micro SD card.

And the list can go on and on.

You may need to carefully read the instructions more than one time. Maybe even check off each step of the installation as it is done and verified.

I have found using "Etcher" to install downloaded Raspbian zip file the most reliable approach. There is no unzipping or copying.

Have your verified that download zip file' hash matches the published value on the website?

Have you checked to see if there are any error messages as you perform the instructions?

Can you obtain a working SD card from a friend to see if your PI can be booted?

When building a Processor Technology Sol 20 with 8" floppy disk drives, there was the saying:

"There are 8 ways to insert the floppy disk, only one will give a unique result and the desired result."

camatthew

Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:47 pm

I was using win 32 disk imager with the librelec image

B.Goode

Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:05 pm

camatthew wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:47 pm
I was using win 32 disk imager with the librelec image

You still do not appear to have stated what model of RPi is the subject of this difficulty.

If it is a current RPi3B+, do you have any documentation or any other reason to think that there is a LibreELEC image that is compatible with this release of the hardware?

You have said you have a working SD card. How do you know?

camatthew

Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:33 am

The sd card shows on my pc. I have a rpi 3b not a 3b+. Also the rpi booted before. The act led stays off.

B.Goode

Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:55 am

As a diagnostic/troubleshooting aid, have you tried installing and booting from a standard Raspberry Pi Foundation release of their Raspbian Operating System?

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

the rpi booted before.

So what has changed? Did something happen to the RPi that could have caused it to develop a fault?

Edit: added later, to try to prevent this dragging on in frustration -

================

There is a Troubleshooting guide in Issue 60 of the MagPi magazine which you can access for free online. https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/issues/60/

The Raspberry Pi Foundation have a Troubleshooting Guide on their website: https://www.raspberrypi.org/learning/tr ... ing-guide/

These forums have a post which contains all the information currently available about getting an RPi to boot: "STICKY: Is your Pi not booting? (The Boot Problems Sticky)" at viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58151

The key to all those information sources is that only 3 vital components are needed to boot an RPi board into a running Operating System: an adequate and reliable Power Supply; a correctly written microSD card; and an RPi board in working order. (A display is only optional because an RPi can be used 'headless'.)

If you are certain, as you appear to say, that your Power Supply and microSD card are not at fault the only logical conclusion must be that your RPi board is faulty.

camatthew

Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:11 pm

How do I replace my faulty one then ?

fruitoftheloom

Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:34 pm

camatthew wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:11 pm
How do I replace my faulty one then ?

Contact the Seller who you bought from ?????
Adieu

camatthew

Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:58 pm

I got it as a gift so I don't know

camatthew

Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:35 pm

Nevermind i gave up and bought a 3b +

Return to “Troubleshooting”