ctigs

Pi Zero woes

Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:25 pm

I just ordered a 3B, a 0, and a 0W from adafruit.

The 3B works fine so far, I'm happy there but my 0W is not recognizing keyboard, mouse, or both when booting noobs.

I've tried 2 different otg adapters, one of them will make my usb hub show power.
Both adapters work with my tablet and phone.

Even when using the one that makes the power light come on with the hub I can not get the pi to recognize a keyboard, a mouse, or both.
Using the hub or connected straight in to the pi, no light on the mouse, no numlock/capslock response from the keyboard, the HDMI monitor (dvi with hdmi to dvi cable) shows the noobs screen, but no peripherals are working. Yes, I am using the power jack for the power and the otg cable is in the port labeled USB.

The 0 will not even boot. No green light. Freshly rewritten sandisk 8G card with latest noobs, no green light. Put the same card into the 0W and it boots, just no peripherals (kb, mouse, etc.).

I've been using "other" pi type boards for a while with no problems whatsoever, and thought I'd hop in to the "real thing" arena.

Now I'm sad.

Either these things die easily, or too fragile to ship in an envelope, or are easily killed.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this and I can be happy (like I was when they arrived!).

Also, I fix laptops for a living so I do this stuff on an antistatic mat with a wrist strap. I'm also FDA trained in ESD practices as I used to do PCB final assembly for a medical device company, so please don't be too harsh on me.

if I have to send 2 out of 3 boards back I'll just give up on the ecosystem and go back to the cheaper, faster chinese boards even though they don't have the software support.

I was hoping to build a few projects using the "real pi" but now I'm concerned that they won't last long.

Can someone help me to come back to the happy land of rPi?

Thanks for putting up with my rant!

alvarosaez316

Re: Pi Zero woes

Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:43 pm

I'm sad just reading that :cry: , but you can still buy two boards just for 15 Dollars! You can also upgrade the Zero to W just for 5$ more! You can also try to replace the micro USB port on the W and the micro SD card slot on the Zero.
Edit: Have you tried to change the W's power supply and USB hub ports? (Maybe you just confused)

piglet

Re: Pi Zero woes

Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:54 pm

1) Why an OTG adapter?

2) Try the latest raspbian rather than noobs

Return to “Troubleshooting”