crigger61

Raspberry Pi not connecting to the network

Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:14 pm

I have a Raspberry PI 3B. I have had it for around a year and it currently runs PiHole and Plex. I used to be able to use it just fine. I have since moved and re-setup the raspberry pi and everything seemed fine.

However, a few days ago after not having checked it for a while, I tried to ssh in to check for any updates to any of the software on the pi, and I found I could ping it locally from the network from any computer and even see it on the routers page, however, I cannot connect to anything outside of my network from the pi.

The raspberry pi is connected over ethernet to the router. I am a beginner with a raspberry pi and don't know where to begin to troubleshoot this.

jofori

Re: Raspberry Pi not connecting to the network

Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:47 am

Hi

You have probably done these basic checks already, but I will just mention them just incase...By the way I have never used PiHole so apologies if I mention specific resolutions...

This sounds like a DNS (Domain Name Server) issue..
If you are running PiHole as a DNS server, then you need to be googling for something like "Pihole and Dns not connecting to internet"

1) Can you can ping sites like yahoo.com from inside your network, using the Pi and any other computers

2) The Computer (not the Pi) can ping yahoo.com and if it can, check its DNS settings(on its ethernet card settings) to see if it has been manually set because this would mean that it and the router knows where to communicate with each other to resolve the yahoo.com address and connect to yahoo.com, but maybe the raspberry does not have a DNS set manually.

These are the sought of things I would check on the PiHole site by just searching google for something like this...
Google Search = "pihole setup for external connections" to see if others are discussing a similar problem.

I got this page

https://discourse.pi-hole.net/t/frustra ... ernet/8040

Google search "pihole how to set it up" - not because you don't know how to do it, but looking at different ways that people have gone about it will provide you with more experience as to where to look for an answer...

https://blog.sleeplessbeastie.eu/2018/0 ... e-pi-hole/

regards
J

Return to “Troubleshooting”