GoodOldJack12

USB wifi dongle getting hot, disabling itself(?)

Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:11 pm

Hello

I'm having an issue with a wifi usb dongle and I wondered if I could find some advice here. My project is this:

I'm making use of the Openplotter software for usage on my boat. Currently it mainly functions as a wifi repeater.
However, it turns out that I didnt bring a powerfull enough power supply (Never trust the specs).
I discovered a powerbank is more consistent, and considering its on a boat, its also practical.

I set up the wifi repeater, but the client that connects to the public wifi drops out a lot, much like in this post:
viewtopic.php?t=197807

I also disabled power management like in that post, and made sure my server was on a different channel then the surrounding hotspots,
yet I still get the power save message.
I also noticed that it gets quite hot, which may cause it to drop out.

So should I get an powered USB hub, a different dongle, should I try a usb extension cord to dissipate the heat?

I would like some advice

epoch1970

Re: USB wifi dongle getting hot, disabling itself(?)

Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:37 pm

Is that a repeater device or a wifi adapter to connect to an Access Point?
I don't understand which purpose an USB repeater would serve. (any wifi repeater for that matter.)
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

SurferTim

Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:43 pm

epoch1970 wrote: I don't understand which purpose an USB repeater would serve. (any wifi repeater for that matter.)
+1 on that.

I use an Alfa 1000mw usb wifi device and it works ok with a 2.5A power supply.

GoodOldJack12

Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:19 pm

Its a wifi adapter in the usb port, that connects to the client, and the rpi3 internal Wi-Fi that serves as an AP

The point is to both amplify the signal, and make logging into the public wifi easier, because only one device has to do it.
And to maintain connection to the Openplotter services, while having internet connection as well.

epoch1970

Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:13 pm

If the power source is the Pi's USB ports, power is limited to 1A. Pi can serve up to 1A to USB devices, nothing more. All USB connected devices share that budget.

I would try to power the repeater separately. Which would allow to increase the distance between the AP and the repeater.

A long USB cable is going to increase the power issue if indeed power comes from the Pi.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

Return to “Troubleshooting”