nes_pi

3B+ power on sometimes does not boot

Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:41 pm

Hi everyone, i am using a 3 b+ with a USB drive to boot from. When i go to bed i usually shut off and unplug the power from the pi to keep it from wearing itself out. Today when plugging it in, it would not boot until i removed every usb device but the boot drive and even then it took a couple tries. After i booted it, i shut it back down and the same thing. Is my pi already getting worn out? Is this a known issue? Thanks in advance.

B.Goode

Re: 3B+ power on sometimes does not boot

Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:50 pm

From https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/pi-3-b ... rage-boot/
Are there any bugs / problems?

There are a couple of known issues:

Some flash drives power up too slowly. There are many spinning disk drives that don’t respond within the allotted two seconds. It’s possible to extend this timeout to five seconds, but there are devices that fail to respond within this period as well, such as the Verbatim PinStripe 64GB.

nes_pi

Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:56 pm

B.Goode wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:50 pm
From https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/pi-3-b ... rage-boot/
Are there any bugs / problems?

There are a couple of known issues:

Some flash drives power up too slowly. There are many spinning disk drives that don’t respond within the allotted two seconds. It’s possible to extend this timeout to five seconds, but there are devices that fail to respond within this period as well, such as the Verbatim PinStripe 64GB.
Good to know thanks!

I read the sticky post but wasnt sure if my issue was described there. One thing i noticed is if i shut down the system and even unplug the micro USB, the red power light stays illuminated until i disconnect my USB hub. Is this safe for the pi to let the hub be powering it like this? I was wondering if that had anything to do with the boot not happening immediately anymore.

HawaiianPi

Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:26 pm

nes_pi wrote:
Is my pi already getting worn out? Is this a known issue? Thanks in advance.
Your Raspberry Pi computer will not wear out for decades. It has no moving parts, and the SoC is based on very robust mobile technology. Also, it uses very little power when idle, so there is no need to turn it off in between uses (especially if you use it daily). It can even be argued that frequently turning a computer on and off might be worse for it than just leaving it on all the time. Regardless, your Raspberry Pi computer will outlast its usefulness long before it dies of old age. So leave it on, or turn it off, it makes no difference, you will not wear out your Pi.

nes_pi wrote:
One thing i noticed is if i shut down the system and even unplug the micro USB, the red power light stays illuminated until i disconnect my USB hub. Is this safe for the pi to let the hub be powering it like this? I was wondering if that had anything to do with the boot not happening immediately anymore.
The USB hub should not back-power the Pi. The fact that it does indicates it is a poorly designed hub. How that hub affects the Pi computer depends on a number of factors, so it's hard to say for sure if it is the cause of your problems. Easy to test, though, just try it without the hub connected.

Next question is, do you really need the hub at all (what are you connecting to the hub)?

And what are you using for a power supply?
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

nes_pi

Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:33 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:26 pm
nes_pi wrote:
Is my pi already getting worn out? Is this a known issue? Thanks in advance.
Your Raspberry Pi computer will not wear out for decades. It has no moving parts, and the SoC is based on very robust mobile technology. Also, it uses very little power when idle, so there is no need to turn it off in between uses (especially if you use it daily). It can even be argued that frequently turning a computer on and off might be worse for it than just leaving it on all the time. Regardless, your Raspberry Pi computer will outlast its usefulness long before it dies of old age. So leave it on, or turn it off, it makes no difference, you will not wear out your Pi.

nes_pi wrote:
One thing i noticed is if i shut down the system and even unplug the micro USB, the red power light stays illuminated until i disconnect my USB hub. Is this safe for the pi to let the hub be powering it like this? I was wondering if that had anything to do with the boot not happening immediately anymore.
The USB hub should not back-power the Pi. The fact that it does indicates it is a poorly designed hub. How that hub affects the Pi computer depends on a number of factors, so it's hard to say for sure if it is the cause of your problems. Easy to test, though, just try it without the hub connected.

Next question is, do you really need the hub at all (what are you connecting to the hub)?

And what are you using for a power supply?
Well for a few days it was booting just fine with the usb switch connected. And it has no problems while running. I haven't tried it today since the second time i got it booted and saw it wouldn't boot with the switch connected. I think the switch being connected to the other PC is allowing power to flow through somehow. I am thinking i should consider installing diodes on the switch.

I have a switch which has one USB input and two USB-B outputs, to go to 2 different computers, meant to be a keyboard/mouse switch. I have a small bus powered hub plugged into it that only has my wireless keyboard and mouse receivers plugged in.

I will do more testing later today but for now i have stuff to do for work with the pi and can't be switching it on and off!

Return to “Troubleshooting”