aneeshpjohn

Display going off and on when turning on wifi

Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:45 am

I recently bought the latest Raspberry Pi 3 model B+. I have connected to a VGA LCD monitor using a VGA to HDMI converter. Whenever I turn on the wifi the display goes off in regular intervals. I have installed a Raspbian Stretch image (Ver April 2018, Kernel Version: 4.14). I tried updating using apt-get update command, which was no good. Please suggest my a solution for the issue.
Thanks in advance,
Aneesh

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Display going off and on when turning on wifi

Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:00 am

That's a weird one. Only thing that comes to mind is a power problem, the Wireless takes quite a few amps, as does an HDMI converter. Combine them and you might be starving the HDMI adaptor of power and it keeps dropping out.

Ensure you have a good quality power supply and USB power connection cable.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

aneeshpjohn

Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:28 am

jamesh wrote: That's a weird one. Only thing that comes to mind is a power problem, the Wireless takes quite a few amps, as does an HDMI converter. Combine them and you might be starving the HDMI adaptor of power and it keeps dropping out.

Ensure you have a good quality power supply and USB power connection cable.

I am using a new Official Raspberry pi power adapter with 2.5A.

sora03

Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:33 pm

aneeshpjohn wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:45 am
I recently bought the latest Raspberry Pi 3 model B+. I have connected to a VGA LCD monitor using a VGA to HDMI converter. Whenever I turn on the wifi the display goes off in regular intervals. I have installed a Raspbian Stretch image (Ver April 2018, Kernel Version: 4.14). I tried updating using apt-get update command, which was no good. Please suggest my a solution for the issue.
Thanks in advance,
Aneesh
If possible try another HDMI to VGA converter and also try to use a HDMI monitor and test if the problem persist so we can isolate the it is the cause of the VGA-to-HDMI converter.. Try to do a stress test too
FLOSS enthusiast, Debian user (linux-libre)

Return to “Troubleshooting”