aneeshpjohn

Display going off and on when turning on wifi

Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:45 am

I recently bought the latest Raspberry Pi 3 model B+. I have connected to a VGA LCD monitor using a VGA to HDMI converter. Whenever I turn on the wifi the display goes off in regular intervals. I have installed a Raspbian Stretch image (Ver April 2018, Kernel Version: 4.14). I tried updating using apt-get update command, which was no good. Please suggest my a solution for the issue.
Thanks in advance,
Aneesh

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Display going off and on when turning on wifi

Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:00 am

That's a weird one. Only thing that comes to mind is a power problem, the Wireless takes quite a few amps, as does an HDMI converter. Combine them and you might be starving the HDMI adaptor of power and it keeps dropping out.

Ensure you have a good quality power supply and USB power connection cable.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

aneeshpjohn

Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:28 am

jamesh wrote: That's a weird one. Only thing that comes to mind is a power problem, the Wireless takes quite a few amps, as does an HDMI converter. Combine them and you might be starving the HDMI adaptor of power and it keeps dropping out.

Ensure you have a good quality power supply and USB power connection cable.

I am using a new Official Raspberry pi power adapter with 2.5A.

sora03

Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:33 pm

aneeshpjohn wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:45 am
I recently bought the latest Raspberry Pi 3 model B+. I have connected to a VGA LCD monitor using a VGA to HDMI converter. Whenever I turn on the wifi the display goes off in regular intervals. I have installed a Raspbian Stretch image (Ver April 2018, Kernel Version: 4.14). I tried updating using apt-get update command, which was no good. Please suggest my a solution for the issue.
Thanks in advance,
Aneesh
If possible try another HDMI to VGA converter and also try to use a HDMI monitor and test if the problem persist so we can isolate the it is the cause of the VGA-to-HDMI converter.. Try to do a stress test too
FLOSS enthusiast, Debian user (linux-libre)

Return to “Troubleshooting”