TheNik

Raspberry Pi 3 B / WLAN Interface not found

Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:21 pm

Hello! This is my first post here, so it might be in the wrong category. Please feel free to move it wherever it's more appropriate.

My Raspberry Pi 3 B (v. 1.2) was once able to connect to the WLAN just fine. However, after not using it for some time, it seems to have lost the wlan0 interface. "ifconfig -a" merely returns eth0 and lo interfaces. "lsusb" shows an ethernet adapter, an SMC9514 Hub and a root hub as the devices 003, 002 and 001 respectively. It might be interesting that connecting my phone to the Raspberry Pi via USB only shows it as device number 005 or larger, device 004 seems to be skipped.
In trying to fix the issue, I have already freshly downloaded and burned Raspbian Stretch (without NOOBS) via Etcher, on a freshly formatted and repartitioned SD card. Then I completed the full "apt update", "apt upgrade" and "apt upgrade dist" cycle. This was done with a working internet connection provided through USB tethering with my Android phone.
The dmesg log caught an IRC user's interest at the line "[ 1.311846] usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=0", the suspicion is that the USB device ID is somehow broken and the Raspberry Pi does not recognize it anymore. After some discussion in the semi-official IRC channel, we came to the conclusion that the WLAN chip is likely broken. However, what leads me to hope that this is not the case, is the fact that Bluetooth connections work fine, so the chip must at least partially work.

Is there anything else that could be tried to troubleshoot and fix the issue? In case the USB device ID is indeed broken, is there a way to force recognition of the device anyway, in the hope that it will work afterwards?

DougieLawson

Re: Raspberry Pi 3 B / WLAN Interface not found

Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:10 am

The on-board WiFi is NOT a USB device.

Have you jumped through the country code setting hoop? It's in the prefernces GUI or in sudo raspi-config. If the country code isn't set then the "wifi-country" service will "rfkill" the interface (effectively switching it off in software).
Any language using left-hand whitespace for syntax is ridiculous

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

TheNik

Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:04 am

DougieLawson wrote:
The on-board WiFi is NOT a USB device.
I have not known that - thank you so much for clearing this up!
DougieLawson wrote:
Have you jumped through the country code setting hoop? It's in the prefernces GUI or in sudo raspi-config. If the country code isn't set then the "wifi-country" service will "rfkill" the interface (effectively switching it off in software).
I have not previously tried this, but it did not work now either. Upon trying to set a country code through "sudo raspi-config", I get the error message "No wireless interface found". When setting it through the GUI, it does not seem to get saved. I finally tried to add "country=de" to the file "/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf" manually, but that did not add anything to the interfaces shown by "ifconfig -a".

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:17 am

What does

dmesg | grep brcmfmac

display?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

TheNik

Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:23 am

jamesh wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:17 am
What does

dmesg | grep brcmfmac

display?
I think that's an empty output - nothing happens when I use this.

Un0Du0

Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:40 am

Hi I have the same issue on 3 pi 3s -_- all had the issue with debian stretch, one I've tried retropie (using stretch), then raspbian lite and full, both have the exact same symptoms.

One of the pi 3's I literally just got in the mail today, one of the others the wifi used to work but died.

Un0Du0

Solution Found: Raspberry Pi 3 B / WLAN Interface not found

Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:46 pm

I found a solution for my pi's

I used a command in /boot/config.txt to overclock the sd card. In Raspbian Jessie the command was changed. The old code was either "dtoverlay=sdhost,overclock_50=80" or "dtoverlay=sdtweak,overclock_50=80" in Jessie this causes the wifi adapter to be disabled.

I changed the line in/boot/ config.txt to "dtparam=sd_overclock=80" and the wifi adapter came back.

when checking my other pi I had the same issue, and the third turns out I had disabled wifi at one point with the command "dtoverlay=pi3-disable-wifi" and just forgot about it I guess :)

TheNik

Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:15 pm

For reference: I was recommended to try an older Raspbian release. I installed "raspbian-2016-03-18" from http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/, but it still did not fix the issue. Might be worth trying to anyone else having similar problems, though.

Return to “Troubleshooting”