LTolledo

How to get rid of NOOBS

Sat May 19, 2018 1:04 am

Hi there,

Am also having same problem with booting from a "cloned" current raspbian system to a bus powered USB device (pendrive/thumdrive, hdd, ssd)

cloned - image of the microSD copied to the USB device using Raspbian's SD Card Copier, some values in the cmdline.txt and fstab edited.

I have successfully booted several different USB pendrives with a newly flashed 2018-04-18-raspbian-stretch image downloaded from raspberrypi.org site. No editing required as the installation were all automatic. Boot times with the USB device does take about 5 seconds longer (as documented) than the microSD.
This however gives me a fresh installation of Raspbian Stretch. Dont want to re-do all of the package installations, server settings, etc, etc.

Migrating/cloning current microSD Raspbian Stretch image, preserving previously installed packages and personalized settings, to a USB SSD and boot exclusively from the USB device (no microSD in the microSD slot), that is what I have been trying to do but have not getting any success...yet.
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

Max_G

Re: [Solved] Pi 3 not booting from USB SSD

Sun May 20, 2018 4:35 am

Once an issue is solved (closed), it is better to create a new post... in particular when the issue a different one.

However, my answer to your question is:

I have cloned my SD card to USB with rpi clone.
It is easy to use, works spot on!
Give it a shot: https://github.com/billw2/rpi-clone

HawaiianPi

Sun May 20, 2018 7:59 am

LTolledo wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 1:04 am
cloned - image of the microSD copied to the USB device using Raspbian's SD Card Copier, some values in the cmdline.txt and fstab edited.
Why did you edit those files, and what did you change?

Please post the output of the following commands.

Code: Select all

ls -l /dev/disk/by-partuuid

cat /etc/fstab
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

LTolledo

Sun May 20, 2018 2:43 pm

Well the original installation raspbian stretch in the microSD card was made from NOOBs installed jessie, appropriately updated and upgraded as of this writing

upon checking the blkid there were sda1, sda5, sda6, sda7 on the cloned USB device.

changed the cmdline value root=/dev/sda7 which is the ext4 partition

changed the fstab value to /dev/sda6 --> to point to the boot partition
changed the fstab value to /dev/sda7 --> to point to the ext4 partition

these didnt work. I thought I made a mistake so I tried changing sda6 to sda1 and sda7 to sda2 but that didnt work either
tried the PARTUUID values but those didnt work either because those still end with xxxx-06 and xxxx-07

upon comparing with the freshly flashed image that booted up, there are only 2 partitions in the microSD card, just sda1 and sda2, which is inline with most of the tutorial to transfer from mircoSD card to USB device.

there is however, no tutorial (that I have searched for) to transfer a NOOBs installed raspbian system containing 4 partitions to a USB device to contain 2 partitions only so that RPi can boot from the USB device. If there is tutorial to do so please provide a link. .

I can boot from a USB device with a freshly downloaded freshly flashed raspbian image, but cannot boot from USB device with cloned NOOBs installed raspbian containing all my preferred packages, configurations, server settings, etc.

therefore in my case, cloning NOOBs installed Raspbian to USB device and boot from there does not work
cloning a flashed Raspbian image to USB device and boot from there works.

Some people be like:

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: problem with booting from a "cloned" current raspbian system to a bus powered USB device

Sun May 20, 2018 5:46 pm

split off new posting, and its follow-ups, from a thread marked [solved].
and renamed the subject.

please don't re-open solved threads, as they are about a different subject when you re-address them.

fbe

Re: problem with booting from a "cloned" current raspbian system to a bus powered USB device

Sun May 20, 2018 9:13 pm

The title here should be "How to get rid of NOOBS". The whole trouble is described here viewtopic.php?f=91&t=213850. The source system is NOOBS 2.4.1 with Raspbian and the poster wants to create a bootable USB stick from this source.

I never did such a conversion. Everything what I write is a guess.

Downloadable Raspbian images have 2 partitions. The first fat32 "boot" partition is mounted on /boot and the second ext4 "root" partition is mounted on /. Raspbian maintains these two partitions when you run

Code: Select all

sudo apt upgrade
so everything, you need to create a bootable USB stick should be in these locations.

Plug your SD card and your USB stick into your Raspberry Pi. Create the "boot" and "root" partitions on your USB stick if not already present. Format these partitions. Copy all files below /boot to the "boot" partition of your USB stick. Copy all other directories of your SD card to the "root" partition of your USB stick (don't copy the contents of your mountpoint for the USB root partition). Then edit cmdline.txt and etc/fstab on the partitions of your USB stick.

I can't promise, that this works. I used NOOBS a few days only. But if I needed to migrate from an outdated NOOBS with Raspbian to "clean" Raspian, this would be the second choice, what I would try, just for curiousity. My first choice would be a new installation.

LTolledo

Re: How to get rid of NOOBS

Thu May 24, 2018 10:26 pm

Hi there and thanks

I have successfully "exported" the required files, directories and other data from the NOOBs installed system.

Followed your suggestion on formatting the USB device, and transferred the required files/directories via rsync command.

I can now boot exclusively from USB device using the "exported" Raspbian Stretch, and preserved my previous settings and packages.

Some people be like:

jerrm

Thu May 24, 2018 11:10 pm

LTolledo wrote:
I can now boot exclusively from USB device using the "exported" Raspbian Stretch, and preserved my previous settings and packages.
If your going without any SD card at all, check your CPU usage.

Without an SD card, Pi's waste cpu cycles, and not all top utilities make it obvious.

See viewtopic.php?f=28&t=211912 and viewtopic.php?f=44&t=213220

LTolledo

Fri May 25, 2018 10:44 am

jerrm wrote:
LTolledo wrote:
If your going without any SD card at all, check your CPU usage.

Without an SD card, Pi's waste cpu cycles, and not all top utilities make it obvious.

See viewtopic.php?f=28&t=211912 and viewtopic.php?f=44&t=213220
Thanks for the info/link. This is quite interesting. I'll keep this in mind.

Am still in experimental stage and have not fully deployed this to my other RPis. I still have the microSD version and their system image backups... just in case....

Some people be like:

Return to “Troubleshooting”