Taxicletter

Screen size on 7inch monitor

Fri May 11, 2018 7:31 pm

Hi,
One Raspberry is connected with a 7inch display. A lot of windows are to big. I found out I can drag them around to reach any part of it by using alt + click.

I use that Pi to DJ (with a midi mixer, hifiberry, usb-soundcard and SDD disk) and the MIXXX program is to big. It's not really handy to move it around the whole time. I searched for smaller skins, but even the smallest is too big.

I found that with xfce4 you can set a custom DPI-setting. Is there another way to scale my desktop in general or mixxx especially?
--::--::- 3 x Raspberry Pi 3 - Raspbian Lite 9 - RuneAudio - one broke (wifi) - not in use -::--::--

klricks

Re: Screen size on 7inch monitor

Fri May 11, 2018 11:20 pm

Taxicletter wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 7:31 pm
Hi,
One Raspberry is connected with a 7inch display. A lot of windows are to big. I found out I can drag them around to reach any part of it by using alt + click.

I use that Pi to DJ (with a midi mixer, hifiberry, usb-soundcard and SDD disk) and the MIXXX program is to big. It's not really handy to move it around the whole time. I searched for smaller skins, but even the smallest is too big.

I found that with xfce4 you can set a custom DPI-setting. Is there another way to scale my desktop in general or mixxx especially?
You can try experimenting with different framebuffer settings in /boot/config.txt
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

Taxicletter

Sat May 12, 2018 11:22 am

I tried that, but it doesn't really scale everything down, does it? I tried a few combinations. It also makes the screen a bit blurry...
--::--::- 3 x Raspberry Pi 3 - Raspbian Lite 9 - RuneAudio - one broke (wifi) - not in use -::--::--

alphanumeric

Sat May 12, 2018 10:10 pm

That's one of the down sides of that display. I believe the resolution is only 800 x 400
Try this and let me know if it works out for you. Go to Preferences > Appearance settings, then the Default tab. Then click the "Set Defaults" ,For Small Screens. Be advised though this will make everything very small. I had a really hard time using the touch feature with my finger after doing this. That means using a fine tip stylus or a mouse. Worth a try though. I think "For Medium Screens" is what it actually defaults too.

Taxicletter

Wed May 16, 2018 2:57 pm

Thank you, that was a useful hint. It doesn't solve my Mixxx-problem, because the space the mixxx skin takes, is defined in pixels and those stay the same.
But I already experimented a little with adjusting the skin, and that doesn't seem to be too difficult.

alphanumeric

Wed May 16, 2018 7:12 pm

I'm hoping they release a screen with more resolution some time down the line. Or open it up so other manufacturers can make use on the DSI connector. IMHO a 12 inch screen with a higher resolution would be nice. Maybe 1280 x 1024.

Return to “Troubleshooting”