giox069
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:39 pm

Dead RPi 3 B+ after short circuit pin 1 and 2 of GPIO

Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:45 am

I did a short circuit between pin 1 and 2 of GPIO connector (5V and 3.3V) for less than a second with the RPi 3B+ powered on on Pixel desktop. Now, after unconnecting and reconnecting it to the power supply, my RPi 3 B+ is dead: only the red LED stays on. I can only measure 5V on pin 1, but 0 V instead of 3.3V on pin 2.
Is my RPi 3 B+ definitely dead?
Thank you

drgeoff
Posts: 9912
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: Dead RPi 3 B+ after short circuit pin 1 and 2 of GPIO

Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:10 am

To all intents and purposes, two of the characters in "RPi" have swapped places.

mattmiller
Posts: 2130
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:25 pm

Re: Dead RPi 3 B+ after short circuit pin 1 and 2 of GPIO

Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:30 am

Is my RPi 3 B+ definitely dead?
Yes

mushu999
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:24 pm

Re: Dead RPi 3 B+ after short circuit pin 1 and 2 of GPIO

Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:02 pm

Two thoughts:
1. you are definitely not faster than the speed of electrons, so "less than a second" made me LOL
2. it sounds strange, but try putting it in a ziplock baggie in your freezer for about 30 minutes. The onboard power regulator has a self-healing fuse. If this doesn't work, just be glad it only cost $35

drgeoff
Posts: 9912
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: Dead RPi 3 B+ after short circuit pin 1 and 2 of GPIO

Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:32 pm

mushu999 wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:02 pm
The onboard power regulator has a self-healing fuse
None of the onboard dc-dc converters (a more accurate term for them than "power regulator") has a fuse.

There is a polyfuse between the 5 volt input pin on the micro-USB power socket and those converters. The OP says he shorted the 5 volt rail on the GPIO header to the 3.3 volt rail. It is rather doubtful that fuse would operate at a current below that at which irreversible damage is caused to items on the 3.3 volt rail. Or even if it would, that it would operate quickly enough.

User avatar
mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 12398
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:19 am
Location: South Holland, The Netherlands

Re: Dead RPi 3 B+ after short circuit pin 1 and 2 of GPIO

Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:09 pm

Also; Freezing a polyfuse does NOT restore it (that just makes the recovery time longer, as these processes take longer when colder).

It just needs 24Hours, at room temperature, to re-construct the polymer. But don't bother because you have 5V after the polyfuse. :P :mrgreen:

because you have put 5V on the 3V3 line all devices powered by 3V3 will have been damaged beyond repair, and that takes nanoseconds not seconds. :( :roll:

this lesson will cost you $35.... :oops:

giox069
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:39 pm

Re: Dead RPi 3 B+ after short circuit pin 1 and 2 of GPIO

Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:50 pm

1. you are definitely not faster than the speed of electrons, so "less than a second" made me LOL
:D :D in some cases also the time plays a role, for example when your short circuit warms up a component which breaks only after reaching a specific temperature.
It just needs 24Hours, at room temperature, to re-construct the polymer. But don't bother because you have 5V after the polyfuse. because you have put 5V on the 3V3 line all devices powered by 3V3 will have been damaged beyond repair, and that takes nanoseconds not seconds. :( :roll:
I never heard before of that kind of self-healing fuse. Thank you for pointing at it. Unfortunately I already waited two days, with the Pi in a room with 18°C temperature. Pin 2 is still at 0V. I will wait another couple of days. But with little hope.
this lesson will cost you $35....
...plus shipment. Living in Italy and using Amazon Prime, the lowest price seems to be € 41,59

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 21037
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Dead RPi 3 B+ after short circuit pin 1 and 2 of GPIO

Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:12 pm

giox069 wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:50 pm
1. you are definitely not faster than the speed of electrons, so "less than a second" made me LOL
:D :D in some cases also the time plays a role, for example when your short circuit warms up a component which breaks only after reaching a specific temperature.
It just needs 24Hours, at room temperature, to re-construct the polymer. But don't bother because you have 5V after the polyfuse. because you have put 5V on the 3V3 line all devices powered by 3V3 will have been damaged beyond repair, and that takes nanoseconds not seconds. :( :roll:
I never heard before of that kind of self-healing fuse. Thank you for pointing at it. Unfortunately I already waited two days, with the Pi in a room with 18°C temperature. Pin 2 is still at 0V. I will wait another couple of days. But with little hope.
this lesson will cost you $35....
...plus shipment. Living in Italy and using Amazon Prime, the lowest price seems to be € 41,59

The Raspberry Pi 3B & 3B+ are sold at $35.00 by RPT.

Local taxes, exchange rate, shipping are outside the control of RPT, so it is $35.00
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

User avatar
HawaiianPi
Posts: 4853
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:53 am
Location: Aloha, Oregon USA

Re: Dead RPi 3 B+ after short circuit pin 1 and 2 of GPIO

Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:34 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:12 pm
The Raspberry Pi 3B & 3B+ are sold at $35.00 by RPT.

Local taxes, exchange rate, shipping are outside the control of RPT, so it is $35.00
And your point is?

He wasn't talking about the price, he was talking about the cost of replacement. So unless you can tell him where he can get a Pi in Italy for $35 (or at least $35 with free shipping), then your post is completely pointless.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

yash2607
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:37 am

Re: Dead RPi 3 B+ after short circuit pin 1 and 2 of GPIO

Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:15 pm

hey did you had any luck with you pi? I myself supplied 5v to Rx pin (10) of my pi and now it seems dead to me.

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 21037
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Dead RPi 3 B+ after short circuit pin 1 and 2 of GPIO

Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:24 pm

yash2607 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:15 pm
hey did you had any luck with you pi? I myself supplied 5v to Rx pin (10) of my pi and now it seems dead to me.

Who are you responding to ??
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

User avatar
Burngate
Posts: 6089
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:34 pm
Location: Berkshire UK Tralfamadore
Contact: Website

Re: Dead RPi 3 B+ after short circuit pin 1 and 2 of GPIO

Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:00 pm

yash2607 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:15 pm
hey did you had any luck with you pi? I myself supplied 5v to Rx pin (10) of my pi and now it seems dead to me.
It is dead.

giox069 hasn't logged on here since November, or posted any more information, so assume his is also still dead.

yash2607
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:37 am

Re: Dead RPi 3 B+ after short circuit pin 1 and 2 of GPIO

Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:03 pm

Burngate wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:00 pm
yash2607 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:15 pm
hey did you had any luck with you pi? I myself supplied 5v to Rx pin (10) of my pi and now it seems dead to me.
It is dead.

giox069 hasn't logged on here since November, or posted any more information, so assume his is also still dead.
Okay thanks

Kazemiprince
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 3:53 pm

Re: Dead RPi 3 B+ after short circuit pin 1 and 2 of GPIO

Mon May 20, 2019 4:05 pm

Hello everyone,

I have the similar situation on my RPI 3. I didn't short circuit any pins but I was trying to power on my rpi with gpio 5 v instead of on board micro USB and then ...
Anyway what I have now is a rpi with only red led on and green led is not blinking and there is no 3.3 v on gpio header pins.
Close to regulators I can measure 3.3 v on a resistor, but it seems something like a fuse that I don't know where is it, not pass the voltage.
Anybody know what's wrong?
Thanks in advance.

User avatar
B.Goode
Posts: 8987
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:03 pm
Location: UK

Re: Dead RPi 3 B+ after short circuit pin 1 and 2 of GPIO

Mon May 20, 2019 6:20 pm

Welcome to the Raspberry Pi forums.

Kazemiprince wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 4:05 pm
Hello everyone,

I have the similar situation on my RPI 3. I didn't short circuit any pins but I was trying to power on my rpi with gpio 5 v instead of on board micro USB and then ...
Anyway what I have now is a rpi with only red led on and green led is not blinking and there is no 3.3 v on gpio header pins.
Close to regulators I can measure 3.3 v on a resistor, but it seems something like a fuse that I don't know where is it, not pass the voltage.
Anybody know what's wrong?
Thanks in advance.


See: viewtopic.php?f=91&t=83372&p=1250211#p1467093

User avatar
Burngate
Posts: 6089
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:34 pm
Location: Berkshire UK Tralfamadore
Contact: Website

Re: Dead RPi 3 B+ after short circuit pin 1 and 2 of GPIO

Tue May 21, 2019 9:08 am

Kazemiprince wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 4:05 pm
Close to regulators I can measure 3.3 v on a resistor
That'll be the supply for the audio, 3v3A, not the main 3v3 for the logic.

G-Virus
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:31 pm
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: Dead RPi 3 B+ after short circuit pin 1 and 2 of GPIO

Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:07 pm

Hello, guys. Sorry for rising that dead topic, but I want to say you guys are not alone :D A couple of weeks ago I also did a short circuit between 3.3v and 5v pins. It was very stupid because I decided to plug in a fan while Pi was powered on :( Since my Pi was in a box at the moment it was a little complicated to plug the fan in, therefore I used tweezers to do it (isolated tweezers!), but there is no isolation on the ends of the tweezers. I couldn't notice how fast it just killed the Pi when I did the short circuit for just a blink of an eye :o Not sure it's still alive

toani
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:06 pm

Re: Dead RPi 3 B+ after short circuit pin 1 and 2 of GPIO

Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:07 am

I just had the same issue. The 3.3 pin bended on a HAT where I soldered weak long pins. These were flexible enough that when I touched pin 1 while making a connection it bended and shorted 5V. The RPI is now RIP.

Lesson RE-learned: Connect things without power. I should have known better.

I thought of those Microchip PIC µcontrollers. They were so rough and tough that you could connect them backwards by mistake, short pins ir reverse voltages. They would heat up yet remain alive for another round. Not so much with other chips.

Return to “Troubleshooting”