theMusicMan

Re: Is there a reason Raspbian would work on 3B and not on 3B+

Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:45 pm

So the update from me is that I have installed from the Raspbian image, and left NOOBS alone. Have to say, my Pi3B+ boots incredibly fast now, and I have managed to get most of the items configured as I would llike them. Just a few tweeks of the main theme (that I am not fond of) to do now, and then I am all set for the journey.

Thanks all for your superb help, advice and support. :D

DougieLawson

Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:48 pm

mahjongg wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:05 pm
Maybe there is a way and i didn't find it?
why not ask the question "is there a way to update NOOBS?" in a new thread!
Don't bother because it's already been answered. viewtopic.php?t=209502#p1294574
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:07 pm

thats not what I meant by update procedure. :twisted:

Obviously I mean a simple command (or two) that will update/upgrade your NOOBS installation so it will work with a newer PI.

HawaiianPi

Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:45 pm

mahjongg wrote:

Obviously I mean a simple command (or two) that will update/upgrade your NOOBS installation so it will work with a newer PI.
If there is such a command I am not aware of it. As far as I know you must download the new NOOBS, extract it and copy the files over the old NOOBS on the old SD card. Oh, and you must also update Raspbian on an older Pi. But then again, I don't really use NOOBS, so if you know of a simpler way, please share.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

B.Goode

Tue May 01, 2018 11:48 am

mahjongg wrote:

There is a very comprehensive, and already outdated, attempt to fully document the process here: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=212452

Note that it has 8 steps and considerably more than a couple of commands!

If people feel sufficiently strongly about this, maybe the feature request should be communicated formally to the developer/maintainer of the NOOBS Installer via the Github repository for the utility? I've had a quick look at the Issues page and can't see anything similar outstanding. https://github.com/raspberrypi/noobs/issues

procount

Tue May 01, 2018 12:36 pm

Or just switch to PINN which already self-updates.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

B.Goode

Tue May 01, 2018 1:02 pm

procount wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 12:36 pm
Or just switch to PINN which already self-updates.

So if I have a microSD card containing the NOOBS Installer and an 'installed' version of Raspbian running on an RPi 3B, how do I "just switch to PINN" to take advantage of the ability to self-update and thus be able to move on to an RPi3B+?

procount

Tue May 01, 2018 1:33 pm

Follow the instructions here -> viewtopic.php?f=63&t=212452 (paying particular attention to make a backup of your SD card first AND note the instructions on editing recovery.cmdline to remove 'runinstaller') BUT with the following deviations:

In STEP 3, download pinn-lite as follows:
wget -P /home/pi http://downloads.sourceforge.net/projec ... n-lite.zip

In STEP 6, unzip pinn instead by:
sudo unzip /home/pi/pinn-lite.zip -d /media/pi/MMC_P1

In STEP7, remove `runinstaller` as indicated, but the rest of the recovery.cmdline will look different to that in the tutorial.

After STEP 8 you should be all set to go with PINN.

Note that if you had FULL NOOBS before the upgrade, you will now have the equivalent of NOOBS-lite as you have erased the local copy of the Raspbian install files from the /os folder. They would be out of date for a 3B+ anyway.

If you want to go back to FULL NOOBS you can use PINN to download the latest installation files for Raspbian and copy them back to PINN's recovery partition:
  1. Get a FAT formatted USB stick and create an 'os' folder in its root directory.
  2. Insert it into your Pi running PINN.
  3. Select Raspbian from the list of OSes on the "General" tab.
  4. Press the "More" icon on the toolbar to go to the 2nd "Archival" menu
  5. Select "Download" to download Raspbian to your USB stick.
You could leave it at that and install from the USB stick in future, but if you want to copy those files to your SD card, well, just copy the /os folder from the USB stick to PINN's recovery partition. (I don't think I need to detail those steps).
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

B.Goode

Tue May 01, 2018 1:37 pm

Follow the instructions here..
Thank you.

procount

Tue May 01, 2018 1:45 pm

Just in case anyone misinterprets the above, the self-update function is for PINN to self-update itself i.e. to recognise when a new version of PINN is available, prompt for you to download it, and self-update to the new version.

Updating Raspbian is included in the instructions I linked to. Your success with that may vary (whether you use NOOBS/PINN or not) depending on the previous version of Raspbian you had (Wheezy/Jessie) although the instructions are quite specific in only updating older versions of Stretch.

Return to “Troubleshooting”