7fh3498f

Booting from USB and amber LED indicator...

Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:21 am

Hi Everyone,

i just set up my RPi3B+ to boot from USB pendrive. It is SanDisk Cruzer Fit 8GB USB 2.0. It work fine. No real issues but the amber LED indicatior seems to behave wierd. Defiantely different than while using SD Card (the same .img file imported to pendrive as it was on SD Card). The SWAP is completely off in my case.

So... the amber LED which shows disk reads and writes in my undestanding i blinking alwats in the same pattern. It flashes very quickly 4 times then 2 second pause and agaian and again...

It does not idicate real drive access. Even if i am copying something to system drive it flashes like i described, not showing that the drive is really busy.

Anybody has solution to that issue? Or at leas anybody can confirm that his pendrives behaves the same way? What do you think about it guys?

Thank you.

pcmanbob

Re: Booting from USB and amber LED indicator...

Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:04 am

There is no amber LED on the pi3B+.
only

RED LED indicates supplied voltage is within specifications flashing or not lit indicates low volt situation, should always be on.
GREEN LED indicates access to SD card on accessing, off not accessing.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

7fh3498f

Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:26 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:04 am
There is no amber LED on the pi3B+.
only

RED LED indicates supplied voltage is within specifications flashing or not lit indicates low volt situation, should always be on.
GREEN LED indicates access to SD card on accessing, off not accessing.
Yes it is green, it looks abmer in original case as it is close to the red one.

Anybody knows why LED is blinking even if there is no SD card inserted?

pcmanbob

Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:09 pm

Having never run a pi without an SD card I can only guess that no matter were the OS is located any access of the OS results in the green LED flashing.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

Return to “Troubleshooting”