jerrm

Re: Ethernet Problems PI3 B+

Mon May 21, 2018 10:57 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 5:39 pm
Stop using sudo rpi-update since you clearly don't understand what it delivers (experimental kernel and experimental bootcode)
HawaiianPi wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 9:50 pm
Why do people keep using rpi-update?
rpi-update was a recommended step by the mods in at least one related thread. It was worth a try. No other way to get the latest driver code I know of.

It is experimental and the boot issues may (probably) not be related to the Ethernet issue.

The takeaway from mangodan2003's post should be there was improvement with the Ethernet issue, not the boot issues or that he dared to use rpi-update.

mangodan2003

Tue May 22, 2018 12:34 pm

jerrm wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 10:57 pm
DougieLawson wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 5:39 pm
Stop using sudo rpi-update since you clearly don't understand what it delivers (experimental kernel and experimental bootcode)
HawaiianPi wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 9:50 pm
Why do people keep using rpi-update?
rpi-update was a recommended step by the mods in at least one related thread. It was worth a try. No other way to get the latest driver code I know of.

It is experimental and the boot issues may (probably) not be related to the Ethernet issue.

The takeaway from mangodan2003's post should be there was improvement with the Ethernet issue, not the boot issues or that he dared to use rpi-update.
Precisely. I've been working with linux systems (embedded, desktop and servers) for 20+ years. Standard practice when encountering issues like this is to tryout the latest vanilla from kernel.org to see if the problem has been addressed already . This is not always practical or possible on embedded systems for various reasons. rpi-update seems like the easiest alternative on this platform.

canavas

Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:53 am

I have three raspberry pi 3 B one of them is +. All of them connect both wifi and ethernet to my router except the 3 B+. It only connects wifi. I tried starting it from a new image of Stretch three times ran all updates and upgrades and the 3 B+ will not connect via ethermet. All I get is Eth0: link down even though the other two RPI B3 connect using the same cable and the same port.

I have no lights on the router or the RPI 3 B+

Any help is appreciated.

DougieLawson

Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:44 am

Do the other USB devices work?

Try adding

Code: Select all

dtparam=eee=off
into /boot/config.txt and rebooting.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

KociKoci

Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:29 am

I had same issue with my raspberry 3B+. I changed for another board and it did not help. Finally I found that it is problem of ethernet cable length.
When I connect rapsberry to any socket which is about 30-50m behind switch then ethernet is not working. All other devices are running on same socket without any problem with speed 1Gb. When I connect 3B+ to same switch and to same socket with cable shorter than 10m then I have not any problem. I did not test the maximum length of cable but now I can say 10m ok, 50m not ok.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:37 am

KociKoci wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:29 am
I had same issue with my raspberry 3B+. I changed for another board and it did not help. Finally I found that it is problem of ethernet cable length.
When I connect rapsberry to any socket which is about 30-50m behind switch then ethernet is not working. All other devices are running on same socket without any problem with speed 1Gb. When I connect 3B+ to same switch and to same socket with cable shorter than 10m then I have not any problem. I did not test the maximum length of cable but now I can say 10m ok, 50m not ok.
Please see Dougie's post above - this sounds like the EEE problem.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

treakec

Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:47 pm

hi.
just a quick note. i was facing the same ethernet connectivity issues. i tried a bunch of stuff including editing the eee thing. i didn't have a screen to use.
in the end it turns out that the power cable was faulty so the rasppi kept rebooting.

fundamentals.

olio

Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:16 am

Hi,
I'm currently trying to get a new Pi3B+ into our institutes ethernet network (maybe I should have taken off during these days ;-))).
The old Pi3B are connecting without any problem with the ethernet. The new Pi3B+ doesn't come out of the eth0 configuration state (using the latest Raspbian Stretch from 13.11.2018). I can see the available Wifi connections, but the one I need to use is greyed out and not accessible (probably not accessible for an unknown user, I might configure this later with my user credentials in wpa_config).

What did I try so far:
I exchanged the SD card with one of the old Pi3B (Stretch with Jessie), but then the Pi3B+ doesn't boot at all (the multicolor screen appears).
If I use the new Stretch with an old Pi3B then the network connection doesn't work either...So I guess it's a software update issue from Jessie to Stretch (?).
I copied also the complete /etc/network folder from Jessie into Stretch...no success

I try now to make a dist-upgrade with an old raspbian Jessie that works on an old Pi 3B and see, if I can get it running in the 3B+ after I succesfully tested the network connection with the 3B.

OK while written this text the dist-upgrade finished and my old Pi3B booted and the ethernet connection worked fine: "Your Raspbian system has been updated to the latest version...."

Now I try this SD card with the new Pi3B+:
OK no way...again the nice multicolor screen.

Any suggestions?

BTW in my private home network Stretch is working well with a Pi3B and Wifi and ethernet connections are working properly there (also no fix IP address). This evening I will take a Pi3B+ home and check if it's also working there...then I could exclude hardware and software issues and check next week with our system admin what could be the reason.

Have a nice start into the next year and all the best!
Oliver

Paul Webster

Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:39 pm

Gigabit Ethernet?
Perhaps not all wire pairs connected?

Try forcing to 100Mb via config.txt

olio

Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:48 pm

Hello again,
I can't get the wifi connection working for some wifi country settings reasons. During lunchbreak I met one of our system admins...the ethernet connection issue is very probably due to an unknown MAC address...however I should be able to connect to our guest network.
I started again with a fresh Raspbian Stretch, this time directly connected to the ethernet (last time I wanted to connect later, after changing my password) .....AND it connected without problems to our guest network.
I could do my updates and I'm curious if the language settings are really taken after reboot. I'm located in Luxembourg and have therefore only the choice between German, French and Luxembourgish as language...guess what I've chosen ;-)

Offtopic: Why does the country setting give only a limited choice of languages? If I want to use English as language as it is our institute's common language I have to choose GB or some other English speaking country. We have students from all over the world here and the least speak German or French...English is the common language.

@Paul: thanks for the suggestion, but it seems to work physically...it seems to be an ethernet access right problem.

Greetings and have a good afternoon!
Oliver

olio

Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:07 pm

...after reboot with the new settings I'm happy that the system chose English instead of Luxembourgish....so my offtopic language issue is also solved...just not the straight way as it should be, but we can live with it ;-)))

Return to “Troubleshooting”