Haemogoblin

Unable to enumerate usb device?

Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:00 am

So I recently reflashed my SD card so that i could take advantage of the latest version of Amiberry. But since updated, my usb controller is not detected by the rpi, at least not properly

Dmesg results in

usb 1-1-port4: unable to enumerate usb device

I can hook it up to my ubuntu laptop and it works fine.

Whats happened to Raspbian to make things go wrong? :-(
Blackadder: Right Baldrick, let's try again, shall we? This is called adding. If I have two beans, and then I add two more, what do I have?
Baldrick: Some beans

DougieLawson

Re: Unable to enumerate usb device?

Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:56 pm

Get a new SDCard with a copy of Raspbian 2018-03-13 on it. Boot that and see if it's a hardware fault or something wrong with your Amiberry set-up.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Haemogoblin

Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:50 pm

Amiberry is an application, not an SD image to itself. When I flashed the SD card, it was to burn the latest version of Raspbian :-)

I believe I might now know what the problem is or at least have reached the point where I'm able to peak over the wall and get a glimpse of what might be happening.

I spent much of last night looking for references to usb enumeration failures linked to the RPi, when I discovered this thread https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/273 admittedly it is a little deprecated by now, but it did get me looking at my usb port speeds.

Directly connected to the pi, the joypad will not function, however hook it up to a two port hub that is linked to the pi and works fine. I dont believe this is a hardware fault, as I was duplicating all my actions on a spare 2B+, which behaves exactly the same as the Rpi 3b. Also it is worth noting this joypad works fine in my Ubuntu Laptop. So I'm confident we aren't looking at a bad cable.

My only guess is that something has changed between wheezy and stretch when it comes to handling low speed devices or there is a bug.

I can't offer anyone a solution and I would welcome a more educated opinion from anyone more savvy with Linux.

If anyone stumbles across this thread and we dont solve it later on, I suggest you try out this following command in your config.txt
dwc_otg.speed=1
This slows down your usb ports and might eliminate enumeration errors.
Blackadder: Right Baldrick, let's try again, shall we? This is called adding. If I have two beans, and then I add two more, what do I have?

Haemogoblin

Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:47 am

I can now also confirm that I do not receive any enumeration errors when plugging the joystick in to my old Raspberry Pi B, running on Linux 7 Wheezy.

So I'm now even more inclined to believe the later versions of Raspbian have broken support for certain low speed usb devices, which isn't much good when I custom built this joystick for my AmigaPi setup. I'm not sure what I should do now, rip the joystick apart and replace the guts with a joypad that is once again compliant with Stretch ( until the next time a new image comes along to break it)

Or run with an older outdated version of raspbian which wont support the latest versions of the software I'm trying to run, eg UAE4ARM and Amiberry. Is there anyway to get in touch with who ever is compiling the releases and let them know there might be a possible bug?

It

Haemogoblin

Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:06 am

If anyone else has this fault, i recommend posting on a Linux specific forum. Sadly I found it far more helpful then the response i got on here or lack there of. I even messaged the originator of the "usb not working thread" but had no reply.

Return to “Troubleshooting”