DougieLawson

Re: Raspberry Pi 3 B+ lockups

Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:15 pm

Proxx wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:25 pm
With original rpi powersupply
What generation of "original" power supply?
The earliest versions were only 2A. The RPi3B+ really needs the full 2.5A.

When I tried my early support RPi3B+ with an Ikea phone charger it would randomly lockup. When I swapped that out for the 2.5A supply that problem went away.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Proxx

Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:50 pm

its the Raspberry Pi Micro USB 2,5 A Powersupply

DougieLawson

Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:53 pm

Proxx wrote:
Have you measured it giving 2.5A under full load?
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

jetibest

Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:31 am

PhilE wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:36 pm
New firmware is now available, including the USB corruption fix.
I have not been able to find anything about this so called "USB corruption fix". I have checked your release notes and github commits, but could not find anything related to this since 2018.

We have 10 RPi's that all consistently crash every few days when using USB webcam. Therefore this specific kernel oops crash applies to every RPi 3 Model B. We did not do anything wrong in our setup, the hardware attached to the RPi such as our power supply and externally powered hub is verified to work correctly etc. See also: https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/2551

PhilE, could you please elaborate on what exactly was this problem, and how you fixed it?

We are still testing to see if this solved the issue, but we'll know for sure after a week.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:49 am

jetibest wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:31 am
PhilE wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:36 pm
New firmware is now available, including the USB corruption fix.
I have not been able to find anything about this so called "USB corruption fix". I have checked your release notes and github commits, but could not find anything related to this since 2018.

We have 10 RPi's that all consistently crash every few days when using USB webcam. Therefore this specific kernel oops crash applies to every RPi 3 Model B. We did not do anything wrong in our setup, the hardware attached to the RPi such as our power supply and externally powered hub is verified to work correctly etc. See also: https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/2551

PhilE, could you please elaborate on what exactly was this problem, and how you fixed it?

We are still testing to see if this solved the issue, but we'll know for sure after a week.
Note this thread is specific to the B+, not the B (which AFAIK is pretty reliable when using networking, and no reported tendency to lockup). I'd suggest starting a new thread, with full details on versions, and which webcam you are using.

That said, please see here https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/is ... -395697239
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Proxx

Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:31 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:53 pm
Proxx wrote:
Have you measured it giving 2.5A under full load?
No, is this a simple thing to measure? and how?

wagnbeu0

Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:34 am

Short Update:
after setting the command

Code: Select all

ethtool --offload eth0 rx off tx off
after every reboot my Pi3 runs very stable, no network hangups anymore.

Maybe this helps other users, too.

PhilE

Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:39 am

Thanks for the feedback. If you can spare the time, would you try just disabled the TX offloading?:

ethtool --offload eth0 tx off
Thanks in advance - this kind of testing really helps to narrow down the search.

6by9

Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:13 am

Based on current understanding, hopefully

sudo ethtool -K eth0 tx-tcp-segmentation off
will also work around the issue.

It's a process of narrowing down the issue. If you were trying to find an electrical fault in a house then "tx off rx off" is turning off the power to the whole house, "tx off" is turning off one circuit, and "tx-tcp-segmentation off" is turning off one device (hopefully the right one).
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

wagnbeu0

Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:39 am

I did it, and was able to run a dd backup from my sdcard to my qnap share mounted via NFs which does not work when both rx and rx are turned
on.

So rx seem to be working if turned on, but tx must be turned off.

Tested with

uname -a
Linux raspi 4.14.41-v7+ #1113 SMP Thu May 17 16:29:48 BST 2018 armv7l GNU/Linux

PhilE

Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:45 am

Great. And just with 6by9's "sudo ethtool -K eth0 tx-tcp-segmentation off"? I understand that you may have better things to do...

5ft24dave

Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:27 am

My P3B+ is also doing the reboot thing...
Running OctoPi and printing to my Anet 3D printer. 3B that was in there ran flawlwssly, until I was moving things around and accidentally shorted out something on the GPIO header which killed the board completely... Replaced it with the 3B+ and randomly have the reboots. 2 hours into a 7 hour print is pretty frustrating.
have set the arm_freq=1200 and gpu_freq=450, ran memtester without fail and ran the arm53 stress tester posted a while back without issue, so we will see... I am on Ethernet to my router, and the connection to the printer is USB while printing, I rarely see over 0.50 load average in top, and cpu temp never gets over 45 Deg. C
/var/log/messages and /var/log/syslog show nothing but suddenly all the booting messages. nothing unusual right before it reboots.
New SanDisk Ultra class 10, UHC1 64G microSD card, have tried a second one and same thing. Running the 5.2V 2.5A power supply, measuring at the GPIO header it reads 5.23V, and with the arm53 stress running full blast, it drops to 4.998v. gets to 80 deg C on the stress testand never seems to go over more that 0.1 or 0.2 degrees, though I do have a fan on it.

jamesh

Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:26 am

5ft24dave wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:27 am
My P3B+ is also doing the reboot thing...
Running OctoPi and printing to my Anet 3D printer. 3B that was in there ran flawlwssly, until I was moving things around and accidentally shorted out something on the GPIO header which killed the board completely... Replaced it with the 3B+ and randomly have the reboots. 2 hours into a 7 hour print is pretty frustrating.
have set the arm_freq=1200 and gpu_freq=450, ran memtester without fail and ran the arm53 stress tester posted a while back without issue, so we will see... I am on Ethernet to my router, and the connection to the printer is USB while printing, I rarely see over 0.50 load average in top, and cpu temp never gets over 45 Deg. C
/var/log/messages and /var/log/syslog show nothing but suddenly all the booting messages. nothing unusual right before it reboots.
New SanDisk Ultra class 10, UHC1 64G microSD card, have tried a second one and same thing. Running the 5.2V 2.5A power supply, measuring at the GPIO header it reads 5.23V, and with the arm53 stress running full blast, it drops to 4.998v. gets to 80 deg C on the stress testand never seems to go over more that 0.1 or 0.2 degrees, though I do have a fan on it.
Are you using the latest Raspbian? If you are, can you try getting the very latest development kernel with rpi-update and see if that helps?
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Tozzi1

Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:09 pm

OK so after a few days of testing I found out a few things.

With the latest kernels (rpi-update) all the "naked" Raspbian installs are stable, uptime 4 days now.
sdram_freq=500.

The one machine with Kodi and other stuff installed on it still gave me problems, but that was due to another, completely unrelated issue.
The default swap size of 100 MB was too small (gpu_mem=256). I changed it to 2048, and even overclocked the SD card to 100 MHz.
No crashes, hangs or reboots ever since. It's rock stable now.

jamesh

Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:10 pm

Tozzi1 wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:09 pm
OK so after a few days of testing I found out a few things.

With the latest kernels (rpi-update) all the "naked" Raspbian installs are stable, uptime 4 days now.
sdram_freq=500.

The one machine with Kodi and other stuff installed on it still gave me problems, but that was due to another, completely unrelated issue.
The default swap size of 100 MB was too small (gpu_mem=256). I changed it to 2048, and even overclocked the SD card to 100 MHz.
No crashes, hangs or reboots ever since. It's rock stable now.
Good news! Glad it's getting sorted out.

wybielacz

Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:34 pm

I tried those commands:

sudo ethtool -K eth0 tx off

sudo ethtool -K eth0 tx-tcp-segmentation of
Both of them doesn't work. My 3B+ still crashes overnight.

The only solution for my 3B+ to survive the night is to switch to WiFi and unplug LAN, but since i bought the 3B+ specially because of the gigabit ethernet, this is not an acceptable solution for me...

5ft24dave

Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:10 pm

jamesh wrote:

Are you using the latest Raspbian? If you are, can you try getting the very latest development kernel with rpi-update and see if that helps?
Latest version of Raspbian Stretch. Ran rpi-update yesterday after the first crash of the day. About 1AM last night, it did it again. Top only showed about 0.2% load at the time, and CPU temp was 41 Deg C.

mushu999

Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:46 am

The original "fix" with lowered RAM speed from 500 to 450 seems to have worked for me. Of course, all I use it for is to run Pi-Hole for the network. It's been rock stable for, well, here's my Rpi-Monitor stats:

Version
Processor: BCM2835
Distribution: Raspbian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)
Kernel version: Linux 4.14.43-v7+ armv7l
Firmware: #1115
Package(s): 0 upgradable(s)

Uptime
Raspberry Pi time: 20:39:52
Uptime: 16 days 12 hours 40 minutes 38 seconds

CPU
Load
1min

Load
5min

Load
15min
CPU frequency: 1400MHz Voltage: 1.3500V
Scaling governor: ondemand

CPU Temperature
127.76°F

jamesh

Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:54 am

wybielacz wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:34 pm
I tried those commands:

sudo ethtool -K eth0 tx off

sudo ethtool -K eth0 tx-tcp-segmentation of
Both of them doesn't work. My 3B+ still crashes overnight.

The only solution for my 3B+ to survive the night is to switch to WiFi and unplug LAN, but since i bought the 3B+ specially because of the gigabit ethernet, this is not an acceptable solution for me...
Hmm. I wonder if this is the SDRAM frequency issues, rather than the ethernet issue that is hopefully fixed by the ethtool command. Can you try lowering the RAM speed to see if that helps?

jamesh

5ft24dave wrote:
jamesh wrote:

Latest version of Raspbian Stretch. Ran rpi-update yesterday after the first crash of the day. About 1AM last night, it did it again. Top only showed about 0.2% load at the time, and CPU temp was 41 Deg C.
Again, see my previous post.

5ft24dave

Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:15 pm

jamesh wrote:
5ft24dave wrote:
jamesh wrote:

Again, see my previous post.
Sed ram speed to 450 letting it run to see if it has anymore reboots

wybielacz

Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:39 pm

jamesh wrote:
Hmm. I wonder if this is the SDRAM frequency issues, rather than the ethernet issue that is hopefully fixed by the ethtool command. Can you try lowering the RAM speed to see if that helps?

I have a 3B+ tested by @PhilE which he confirmed has no RAM issues.

jerrm

Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:39 pm

wybielacz wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:39 pm
I have a 3B+ tested by @PhilE which he confirmed has no RAM issues.
Have you tried the 450 option? I don't think it's a matter of RAM not running at 500 but of timing/interaction issues with other subsystems.

Pi3B+ is not an option for us until there is a pretty clear "we know the issue and here is the fix" statement.

From perusing the forums, I don't think any "fix" has been universal. They all seem to be band-aids that help but are not a cure.

wybielacz

Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:07 pm

As far as i know, every 3B+ is currently running at 450 with the latest firmware. Anyway, since my 3B+ was tested i can safely assume that it is not a RAM issue in my case.

When i unplug the LAN cable and use WiFi then the 3B+ doesn't die overnight, so it should be pretty obvious that this is a LAN issue. Additionally i noticed that when the LAN cable is plugged in, the 3B+ get noticeable hotter.

Proxx

Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:03 pm

i have disabled te TX offloading. still i the pi dies overnight
When i unplug the LAN cable and use WiFi then the 3B+ doesn't die overnight
mine does.
i connected the LAN specifically because i wanted to eliminate the WIFI controller.

my next step is trying to lower the ram speed. i will keep you posted

Return to “Troubleshooting”