MacsandaPi

What is the command to display the desktop GUI?

Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:03 pm

I’m trying to get my Pi2B (early version) with Stretch to boot into an external hard drive. It boots to the “Welcome to the Raspberry Pi Desktop” splash screen, but doesn’t follow to the desktop GUI. Instead, the screen shows “[email protected]: ~$" with a blinking cursor, waiting for a command.

I’ve tried “startx”, which produces a scrolling list, but ends with the line “[email protected]: ~$” and blinking cursor.

What command(s) should I use to get to the desktop GUI?

Many thanks for your help.

PeterO

Re: What is the command to display the desktop GUI?

Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:07 pm

Which version of stretch have you installed ?
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),Aeromodelling,1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

B.Goode

Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:10 pm

Code: Select all

startlxde-pi 
As @Peter implies, this does require that you have installed a full, with Desktop, version of Raspbian. It won't work without extra work on a Lite, gui-less, installation.

MacsandaPi

Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:30 pm

PeterO wrote:
PeterO
2018-03-13-raspbian-stretch

MacsandaPi

Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:34 pm

B.Goode wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:10 pm

startlxde-pi 
As @Peter implies, this does require that you have installed a full, with Desktop, version of Raspbian. It won't work without extra work on a Lite, gui-less, installation.
Entering the command

startlxde-pi
ends with: “(lxsession:2232: Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:” and returns to the “[email protected]:~$” and blinking cursor.

Now what?

MacsandaPi

Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:38 pm

PeterO wrote:
PeterO
It's the latest Raspbian Stretch with Desktop

PeterO

Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:42 pm

Well at least that's confirmed you haven't installed the "lite" version without the desktop !
Did you try to run it from just the sdcard before trying to move the root filesystem to a hard disk ?
PeterO
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),Aeromodelling,1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

MacsandaPi

Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:52 pm

PeterO wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:42 pm
Well at least that's confirmed you haven't installed the "lite" version without the desktop !
Did you try to run it from just the sdcard before trying to move the root filesystem to a hard disk ?
PeterO
Yes, it booted fine from the SD card.

PeterO

Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:55 pm

How did you move the root filesystem to the external hard disk ?
PeterO

MacsandaPi

Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:07 pm

PeterO wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:55 pm
How did you move the root filesystem to the external hard disk ?
PeterO
I used Etcher to copy the Stretch.zip file to the external hard drive.

PeterO

Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:16 pm

What have you put in /etc/fstab and /boot/cmdline.txt ?

MacsandaPi

Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:43 pm

PeterO wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:16 pm
What have you put in /etc/fstab and /boot/cmdline.txt ?
After booting successfully from the SD card, I plugged the HD into the Pi and copied the root=PARTUUID of the HD to /boot/cmdline.txt. I didn't make any changes in/etc/fstab.

The following link is to my related post on this problem in the Beginners Forum. Maybe you'll find some useful information there that will aid your troubleshooting.viewtopic.php?f=91&t=208352

Am very grateful for your willingness to help me. This is a frustrating exercise for me because I had an early version of Jessie that was set up with no difficulties with this same external drive.

PeterO

Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:54 pm

Ok, well you've used RonR's script (which I don't think is necessary) so you better go back to that thread as I can't help you if his script has broken your system.

I have a Pi 2B v1.1 that I just upgraded to Stretch and that has / on a usb hdd. I can't look at it right now, but I'll fire it up in the morning to see how it is configured.

PeterO

MacsandaPi

Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:37 pm

PeterO wrote:
Ok, well you've used RonR's script (which I don't think is necessary) so you better go back to that thread as I can't help you if his script has broken your system.
I’m not knowledgeable enough to say if RonR’s scripts had any negative effect on my system; I would tend to think not, because the problem I’m experiencing now (boot process not continuing past the initial “Welcome to the Raspberry Pi Desktop” splash screen), occurred before I ran his scripts.
PeterO wrote:
I have a Pi 2B v1.1 that I just upgraded to Stretch and that has / on a usb hdd. I can't look at it right now, but I'll fire it up in the morning to see how it is configured.

PeterO
Thank you. I would be very grateful for any additional help you could provide.

The boot process stops with the system displaying in a console (terminal) mode. That is, I can use commands to list files, access raspsi-config, check the kernel version, re-boot, shutdown, etc. So the system seems to work in that regard…it’s just that I don’t know how to tell it to go into the desktop GUI.

Return to “Troubleshooting”