IddoB

Low Audio Output On Aux

Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:22 am

Hi there,

I connected a 5W, 50 Ohm speaker to my RPI aux output and the output that I am getting is very low. The RPI volume is set to 100%

Is there anyway to get higher volume outputs from the RPI?

Thank you

Imperf3kt

Re: Low Audio Output On Aux

Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:34 am

The aux out on a Pi is 'line level'.
Some speakers do okay, but most will not be loud enough (headphones are usually good enough)

To get louder audio, you will require an amplifier.

For a 5w speaker, you want to use a 5w amplifier or less

I personally like the PAM8403 for this job.
Be aware that if you use it in stereo mode, it can draw up to 1.2A (3w) when powered using 5v.
Do not bridge the outputs, they must be kept stereo. Twisting together the ground wires WILL destroy the IC and you'll have to buy another.

Or, if you don't use max volume or get a better rated speaker, I've recently purchased a handful of TPA3110D2 stereo 15W amplifiers. These require 8-24v (26v max for the chip, but mine state 24 probably for the circuitry)
So a different power supply is required, but the quality seems a lot better for only a fraction more cost.

It IS recommended to use ferrite chokes and shielded power wires for this module.

The rated 15w per channel is when ran at 16v
Stephen Hawking, rest in peace.
8 January 1942 – 14 March 2018

IddoB

Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:38 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:34 am
The aux out on a Pi is 'line level'.
Some speakers do okay, but most will not be loud enough (headphones are usually good enough)

To get louder audio, you will require an amplifier.

For a 5w speaker, you want to use a 5w amplifier or less

I personally like the PAM8403 for this job.
Be aware that if you use it in stereo mode, it can draw up to 1.2A (3w) when powered using 5v.
Do not bridge the outputs, they must be kept stereo. Twisting together the ground wires WILL destroy the IC and you'll have to buy another.

Or, if you don't use max volume or get a better rated speaker, I've recently purchased a handful of TPA3110D2 stereo 15W amplifiers. These require 8-24v (26v max for the chip, but mine state 24 probably for the circuitry)
So a different power supply is required, but the quality seems a lot better for only a fraction more cost.

It IS recommended to use ferrite chokes and shielded power wires for this module.

The rated 15w per channel is when ran at 16v
Thank you for this information. Is there a easier way that won't require me to buy an amplifier? Maybe using a USB or Bluetooth speaker?

Imperf3kt

Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:24 pm

If they include a built in amplifier, that will do. A bluetooth speaker will have its own amplifier and chances are that a USB option IS an amplifier.

By the way, the parts I listed cost less than 1USD delivered (depending on your country)

IddoB

Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:28 pm

Imperf3kt wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:24 pm
If they include a built in amplifier, that will do. A bluetooth speaker will have its own amplifier and chances are that a USB option IS an amplifier.

By the way, the parts I listed cost less than 1USD delivered (depending on your country)
Thank you for your help. I've tried using a Bluetooth speaker with no success. I managed to connect it to the RPI , but the RPI isn't transmitting it to him.

Imperf3kt

Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:17 pm

Did you ensure the speaker was set as the audio output device by right-clicking on the audio tray icon?

Return to “Troubleshooting”