neraud

PI 3 interference with garage door opener

Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:21 pm

I recently replaced the old computer I was using in my garage with a raspberry PI 3.
since it was installed, I noticed that when ever the PI is ON, the garage will no open when outside unless I am standing the garage remote right next to it.
with the PI unplugged from the power, I can pretty much go across the street and my garage still opens OK.
I have spent a lot of time troubleshooting this issue, nothing much on PIs interfering with Garage door systems :oops:
so far the only solution I found was to turn off the PI, which is a problem since I also intended to use it as a security system with 3 USB webcams (works great, using zoneminder).
I have done the following so far:
- ran the PI without anything but the power connected to it and having Bluetooth and WIFI turned OFF -> still interfering with garage door opener range
- same as the above on a power extension cord plugged in another room which is for sure on another breaker -> no luck
- bought a metal case to replace the transparent case -> no difference
- at some point I though i had isolated the issue after encasing the PI inside a metal box, but the garage door started acting up not long after again
- I tried with the garage open with and without a power surge protector -> no difference
- I have installed ferrite cores on the power cords for the Garage opener and the PI -> no luck
- I have removed the LED light bulbs and installed back the good old incandescent ones (problably helped a little since LED are known to generate interferences..)
- i read somewhere that the GPIO on the pi could be use to transmit and receive RFs... I tried to turn all the GPIO pin off but not sure I was successful ...

would anyone have a suggestion on what else I could try ?

wh7qq

Re: PI 3 interference with garage door opener

Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:15 am

The RPi 3 may put out some RF on 2.4 Gig if the wifi is on and does have a clock frequency that may get radiated but my suggestion is to get rid of the cheap garage door opener remote (remote button and reciever) and get one of the modern, coded ones. Try the new one and take it back to the store if it is not better. GPIO pins can be checked with the command

Code: Select all

gpio readall
and I think you will find that virtually all are in the default input mode which cannot radiate.
Sent by WH7QQ from an RPi3/Raspbian/pixel desktop.

MaxK1

Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:54 am

Long shot: What PSU are you using? I have a couple of "No-Name" PSU/Phone chargers that knock out some radio and TV (OTA) channels when in use. Try moving the PSU relative to the garage door opener or put the PSU on a different circuit.
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
When General Failure and Major Disaster get together, Private Parts usually suffers.

neraud

Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:40 pm

wh7qq wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:15 am
The RPi 3 may put out some RF on 2.4 Gig if the wifi is on and does have a clock frequency that may get radiated but my suggestion is to get rid of the cheap garage door opener remote (remote button and reciever) and get one of the modern, coded ones. Try the new one and take it back to the store if it is not better. GPIO pins can be checked with the command

Code: Select all

gpio readall
and I think you will find that virtually all are in the default input mode which cannot radiate.
I know ... this was my last resort, I know it is more than time to replace my old insecure garage door opener. thanks for the reply !!

neraud

Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:40 pm

MaxK1 wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:54 am
Long shot: What PSU are you using? I have a couple of "No-Name" PSU/Phone chargers that knock out some radio and TV (OTA) channels when in use. Try moving the PSU relative to the garage door opener or put the PSU on a different circuit.
thanks for the suggestion ! I will try this tonight !

neraud

Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:03 pm

so I tried 2 other power supply with the PI and unfortunately this did not resolve my issue.
further more, I used the PI3 original power supply with a PI2 -> no issues with my garage door !
I now have 3 options:
- find the root cause on the PI3 and fix it (if even possible)
- change the garage door opener and remotes (will need to be done eventually)
- use a PI2 instead of the PI3 :-(

Return to “Troubleshooting”