drpatrik

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ - Under-voltage warnings [SOLVED]

Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:50 pm

I picked up my brand new Model B+ today but it will not start up. I get the under-voltage warnings flash on the startup screen (the color prism screen). I have the official Pi power-supply (5.1V / 2.5A) that works perfectly with my RPI 3 B. Pls. help.

Regards,

Patrik

[moderator intervention] Booting stops during rainbow screen with a fake under-voltage warning? There is only ONE reason for this, and that is that you are trying to boot pre-RPI3B+ firmware!
Last edited by drpatrik on Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

drgeoff

Re: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ - Under-voltage warnings

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:15 pm

My guess is that you are not using the latest version of an OS which supports the 3B+.

drpatrik

Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:56 pm

I reinstalled the image and then the model B+ started-up. However before switching from 3B to 3B+ the image was updated to the latest version including a new kernel and the latest version are supposed to work, or?

Something is still fishy however the installation hangs when installing on 3B+. I can install under 3B which works perfectly and then I can boot my 3B+ with that image and everything looks fine. The fact that I can not install without 3B+ hanging is strange and a bit scary.

drpatrik

Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:01 am

Something is really wrong with the hardware. I compiled gcc 7.3.0 which worked fine. When I did make install 3B+ hanged in the same way as when I tried to install the raspian. I have tried two different SD cards with the same result, everything works with 3B hardware.

HawaiianPi

Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:38 am

drpatrik wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:50 pm
I picked up my brand new Model B+ today but it will not start up. I get the under-voltage warnings flash on the startup screen (the color prism screen).
The "color prism screen" is a GPU test that appears at the start of the boot process. It's not an under-voltage warning (unless you are running some ancient version of Raspbian, in which case, that's your problem).

The under voltage warning in Raspbian Stretch is a little lightning bolt that appears on the upper-right of the screen.

For the new 3B+ you should be using the latest 2018-03-13 Raspbian Stretch.

If you have an older version of Raspbian Stretch, then upgrade it as follows.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y
Do NOT run sudo rpi-update (if you did that then you screwed up your system).

If you are running something even older than Stretch, then it's time to start over with a clean install of the latest Raspbian release.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

drpatrik

Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:36 am

Actually I got the color prism with the under-voltage warning flash displayed on the upper right screen. That problem was resolved by starting with a clean install of the latest Raspbian.

However my 3B+ hangs during installation (complete freeze). I can installed using my 3B without a hitch and then use that SD with my new 3B+. But something still seams to be wrong since when installing my compiled version of gcc 7.3.0 the 3B+ freeze in the sameway as it did during installation (sudo make install-strip) which prompts me to believe that I have HW problems?

Thanks,

Patrik

DougieLawson

Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:04 pm

drpatrik wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:36 am

However my 3B+ hangs during installation (complete freeze). I can installed using my 3B without a hitch and then use that SD with my new 3B+. But something still seams to be wrong ...
You are using an SDCard that's too old for the 3B+, it doesn't have compatible firmware/bootcode. The low power icon was changed to a lightning bolt some time ago. The four colour square has been retired.

You need to boot that SDCard in any other Raspberry and use sudo apt update && sudo apt -y dist-upgrade to update it.

If the card has NOOBS, forget it, updating NOOBS to work on newer Raspberries is a pain in the tail.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Brothan

Re: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ - Under-voltage warnings [SOLVED]

Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:26 am

Hello, i have got the same problem . Picked up a new rpi3 b+ yesterday and get the color prism and the undervoltage flash , i tried a bunch of different power sources all of them working on my rpi3 b . Tried measuring the voltage and it's at 4.92 volts . Then i tried differnt SD-cards never even tries to boot on any of them ( diffrent software on al of them all updated the to the latest version ) , tried the command suggested in this tread on 2 diffrent sd-cards with rasberrian .. no boot . Could I have a hw issue ?? Im not in any words good at software or computer hw ..

jewelie

Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:36 am

Brothan wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:26 am
Hello, i have got the same problem . Picked up a new rpi3 b+ yesterday and get the color prism and the undervoltage flash , i tried a bunch of different power sources all of them working on my rpi3 b . Tried measuring the voltage and it's at 4.92 volts . Then i tried differnt SD-cards never even tries to boot on any of them ( diffrent software on al of them all updated the to the latest version ) , tried the command suggested in this tread on 2 diffrent sd-cards with rasberrian .. no boot . Could I have a hw issue ?? Im not in any words good at software or computer hw ..
When it should be booting, does the power led do 4 short flashes followed by 4 long flashes? In my experience, the undervoltage symbol with the rainbow block at that point doesn't necessarily really mean undervoltage, but can just mean that you're not running a new enough version of the operating system. It got me first time too.

To exclude other causes, try sticking a new copy of Raspbian (13-03-2018 version or newer) on a card and see if that boots okay.

If it does, then the problem is just software: on your other cards your operating system isn't upgraded to be the latest version of Stretch or your Pi firmware is out of date.

Warm Regards
Julie
X

Brothan

Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:45 am

The power led goes red as soon as I connect the power and stays red without any flashing .

Harimau87

Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:09 pm

I was having the same frustrating under-voltage warning, it’s now resolved and I thought I’d share my experience.

I couldn’t afford to purchase anything to test the voltage nor any new official power cables, which seemed illogical anyway since I already had SO MANY usb plugs/cables lyeing around of varying quality/length and they ALL returned the same undervoltage warning.

After trying every possible cable/plug combination I remembered something, I was using an HDMI splitter, this same HDMI splitter used to cause my PS4 to cut to a black screen intermittently when playing HDR enabled games only. I have since been using it as a splitter for my Wii U and snes mini without any issue.

I removed the splitter and plugged the hdmi cable from pi to tv directly and haven’t had the under-voltage warning since.

Further info, I previously used the splitter on my old pi 2 running retropie with no issue, the issue arose only when I started using a Pi 3 B+ with retropie specifically. I’ve read a few accounts of people updating from raspbien jesse to stretch to resolve the issue, at the time of writing retropie isn’t working perfectly with stretch so I didn’t want to risk it.

Imperf3kt

Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:32 pm

So are you running Raspbian Jessie on a Pi3b+? How, Jessie is not supported, you require at least the march/april release of Raspbian Stretch for your Pi3b+ to boot.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

davidcoton

Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:30 pm

Imperf3kt wrote:
So are you running Raspbian Jessie on a Pi3b+? How, Jessie is not supported, you require at least the march/april release of Raspbian Stretch for your Pi3b+ to boot.
A Pi3B+ will boot Jessie with the appropriate previous "treatment" -- IIRC a sufficiently recent kernel update from rpi-update. Not supported or recommended, use at your own risk, YMMV.
Signature retired

Harimau87

Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:54 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
I guess so? I'm using the Pi 3 image found at https://retropie.org.uk/download/.

This is the troublesome splitter, made by polarioud which I guess is not the greatest brand, but curious to know if there are any adapters/splitters being used out there which don't cause an undervoltage warnng? Is there a standard I can look for as a guarentee against issues like this when choosing my next splitter as I would still like to use an hdmi splitter with both the PS4 and Pi 3 b+ eventually.

Imperf3kt

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:30 am

Looks identical to the splitter I use between my PC, PS4 and Raspberry Pi (but sometimes I use that port for other devices)
Cannot say it causes me any issues and personally I fail to see how it would interfere with a completely unrelated power supply.

Of course, looks aren't everything, there are literally dozens of manufacturers in China using the exact same molds / parts to make the same item. Some however, use low grade components, resulting in a product that either fails completely, fails very shortly after first use or sometimes catastrophically fails and allows AC voltage to leak to the ground plane of your "$0.50 phone charger" - there have been a few instances where such failures have been fatal.
One I know of personally, was where a local girl was charging her phone while listening to music via earbuds. A paper thin (because it was literally made of paper) transistor responsible for isolating mains voltage from the USB device, failed, allowing 238vAC to travel through the USB cable, into the earbuds, between her ears (i.e - her brain) and return via the other earbud.

wowter

Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:51 pm

Harimau87 wrote:

I removed the splitter and plugged the hdmi cable from pi to tv directly and haven’t had the under-voltage warning since.

THANK YOU! for taking the time to post this.

I also tried a lot different chargers and cables, toshiba, apple, sony, nokia etc etc.... and a LOT of different cables, and i got the undervolt warning with every single one.

Removed the HDMI splitter, and plugged the pi into the TV directly. Warnings GONE!

The HDMI splitter takes its 5v power directly from the HDMI port, this apparantly upsets the Pi 3b+' power management (at least with cheap chines HDMI splitters.......)

usafa76

Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:10 pm

I also tried all sorts of cables with my 3B+, none solved the problem. Then I installed a VERY SHORT USB cable, about six inches long (15 cm for the amazing Brits who developed this thing). Worked fine, not one yellow lightning bolt (wall charger labeled 5V, 3A). For what it's worth I also tried a wall charger labeled 5V, 1A and I got the lightning bolt as well as a re-start; use that one on my Zero W!

Imperf3kt

Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:12 pm

wowter wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:51 pm
Harimau87 wrote:

THANK YOU! for taking the time to post this.

I also tried a lot different chargers and cables, toshiba, apple, sony, nokia etc etc.... and a LOT of different cables, and i got the undervolt warning with every single one.

Removed the HDMI splitter, and plugged the pi into the TV directly. Warnings GONE!

The HDMI splitter takes its 5v power directly from the HDMI port, this apparantly upsets the Pi 3b+' power management (at least with cheap chines HDMI splitters.......)
HDMI can deliver up to 200mA, so assuming the splitter was using all of that (it very likely wasn't) then you have fixed your issue by removing 0.2A of current draw.

In my opinion, this is not fixed at all!
For an example, plug in a USB device rated at 0.2A or more

wowter

Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:21 pm

Imperf3kt wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:12 pm

HDMI can deliver up to 200mA, so assuming the splitter was using all of that (it very likely wasn't) then you have fixed your issue by removing 0.2A of current draw.

In my opinion, this is not fixed at all!
For an example, plug in a USB device rated at 0.2A or more
No, only the splitter was causing problems. I can hook up multiple devices, using MUCH MUCH more than 0.2a:, no problems. Only the splitter is causing the issue, even with nothing else attached.

Imperf3kt

Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:41 pm

In that case then, could you share the brand and model of the splitter so people can know it is known to be incompatible with a Pi (or simply a faulty design)

kdeg

Sat May 18, 2019 10:29 am

Hi all,

Just to let you that i faced the same issue.
Changing SD card with a new one solved it.

Cheers,

Return to “Troubleshooting”