Sumeet Sapkal

Using usb bluetooth adapter along with onboard bluetooth in RPi3B

Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:48 am

Hello,

I have a raspberry pi 3b and I am trying to use both onboard bluetooth and a CSR4.0 usb bluetooth adapter.
I have read in lot many forums that we need to disable the onboard bluetooth to use an external usb bluetooth adapter.
Is there a way to use both of these at a time?

Douglas6

Re: Using usb bluetooth adapter along with onboard bluetooth in RPi3B

Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:52 am

I believe so, though I have not tried it. One adapter (probably the onboard one) will be named hci0, the other will be hci1.

Sumeet Sapkal

Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:47 am

Hello Douglas,

Yes, you are right that one becomes hci0 and other becomes hci1. But the the problem here is the onboard bluetooth which was hci0 now becomes hci1 when the CSR4.0 bluetooth adapter is connected. Due to this the scripts written for onboard bluetooth stop working.
Any idea how can I handle this?

Also, in bluetoothctl the above causes default bluetooth device to change from onboard bluetooth to CSR4.0? If I set the onboard bluetooth as default using 'select' command then that change too is temporary and reverts back as soon as I exit from bluetoothctl.

I am trying to receive data on onboard bluetooth and send some data to an android app using CSR4.0. Can you please help on this?

HawaiianPi

Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:51 am

Why do you need two Bluetooth adapters?

Bluetooth can connect to more than one device at a time so you shouldn't need the USB Bluetooth adapter at all.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

drpatrik

Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:08 pm

The built-in adapter both in 3B and 3B+ cannot drive bluetooth keyboard, mouse with the wireless network turned on. My experience is that the keyboard becomes very sluggish. The solution was to disable the built in bluetooth adapter and use an external one which works perfectly.

Douglas6

Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:37 pm

If the onboard adapter is now hci1, then yes, you will need to adapt the scripts. I don't know if that will be a consistent result, however.

HawaiianPi is correct of course. If you are using the Serial Port Profile to transfer data, you should be able to use two separate channels on one adapter. Again, code modifications would be required.

Sumeet Sapkal

Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:21 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:51 am
Why do you need two Bluetooth adapters?

Bluetooth can connect to more than one device at a time so you shouldn't need the USB Bluetooth adapter at all.
Hello HawaiianPi,

In that case I need to connect 2 or more android phones to RPi3B.
Can you please guide me how that can be done?

Sumeet Sapkal

Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:37 pm

Douglas6 wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:37 pm
If the onboard adapter is now hci1, then yes, you will need to adapt the scripts. I don't know if that will be a consistent result, however.

HawaiianPi is correct of course. If you are using the Serial Port Profile to transfer data, you should be able to use two separate channels on one adapter. Again, code modifications would be required.
Yes Douglas, I am using serial port profile for data transfer. I need to connect 2 or more android phones to RPi3B. I am using https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... _PRO&hl=en app on android phones. in my trials of using CSR4.0 adapter I did tried to using a different channel (channel 2) other than channel 1 the app doesn't connect on bluetooth.
Please guide me how a single bluetooth adapter on RPi can send out data to multiple android phones.

Douglas6

Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:52 pm

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that app. I would look for settings to change the channel it is using. Of course the channel must match what the Pi is listening on. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Return to “Troubleshooting”