Xplosionist

RPi3 not seeing desired WiFi network

Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:28 pm

I have an RPi3 that I'm trying to get running as a router between wired and wireless networks. Initially, I'd started working on it at home, and had no trouble configuring wpa_supplicant to connect to my WPA2 802.11 network at home by SSID. But, today I tried to configure it to connect to the target WPA-EAP network in the office, and it isn't working.

As well as trying various configurations of wpa_supplicant.conf, I eventually noticed that when I use iwlist wlan0 scan | grep SSID, I am only seeing a subset of the wireless SSID's that either my MacBook Pro or my phone see in the office.

Does anyone have an idea what I might have to do to allow the wlan0 device on my RPi3 to be able to see the full set of broadcast SSIDs that other devices are seeing?

(Raspbian Stretch 2017-11-29 OS)

klricks

Re: RPi3 not seeing desired WiFi network

Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:32 pm

The RPi 3 won't see any 5GHz WIFI.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

Xplosionist

Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:40 pm

klricks wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:32 pm
The RPi 3 won't see any 5GHz WIFI.
Right. Sorry, I should've said. These networks are either 2.4Ghz or 2.4/5 Ghz mixed networks. At least the one I'm looking for and can't see is, as older devices do see that SSID just fine.

Xplosionist

Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:09 pm

umm, okay. So, I had some folks help me probe around, and I'm incorrect. Or at least, out of date. I think the SSID I was looking for used to be visible to 2.4Ghz only devices, but checking today shows that like the RPi, another 2.4Ghz only device does not see it.

So, no problem on my side except for user error. :-) Thanks...

HawaiianPi

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:48 pm

Xplosionist wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:09 pm
So, no problem on my side except for user error. :-) Thanks...
Yup, that's called an ID ten T error. I frequently experience those myself. If you don't know what an ID ten T error is, try typing it using the number ten instead of the word, and no spaces. ;)

Also known as a PBCAK error.

I gave my 2.4 and 5 GHz networks different names to make it easy to know which I'm connecting a device to.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Return to “Troubleshooting”