Megabeaker

Raspberry Pi 3 running Plex server is showing two IP addresses

Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:06 pm

Hi Everyone,

Sorry but I'm not brilliant with this sort of thing but can normally sort it out myself given enough googling and time but I appear to be stumped on this one.

I've been running Plex server on a Raspberry Pi 3 using the link below for about a year with no issues. https://www.element14.com/community/com ... berry-pi-3

A few weeks back my iPad app just stopped being able to connect and sync properly, I'm also having issues with the PS4/Xbox One apps. I've narrowed this down to the pi appearing to be connected to two different IP addresses. whenever I use the command

Code: Select all

hostname -I
I get 192.168.0.13 192.168.0.14

My Philips Hue bridge all of a sudden appears to be connecting to 192.168.0.13, this should be the static IP being used by the PI. I've tried updating the Pi address using

Code: Select all

sudo nano /boot/cmdline.txt
and then updating the IP address however when I reboot the Pi, no changes have taken affect (yes I did save it first ;) ) if I go back into cmdline.txt then the IP address is still 192.168.0.13 regardless of what I change it to.

I've also tried changing the IP address of the Hue bridge, however this doesn't seem to make a difference. if I type the IP address into my browser, instead of being sent to the desktop app as I should be, I end up on a Philips Hue open source page.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

DougieLawson

Re: Raspberry Pi 3 running Plex server is showing two IP addresses

Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:34 pm

Get rid of the IP= stanza on the tail end of /boot/cmdline.txt

To fix the IP address of your RPi either
1. Set a fixed address in the configuration pages for your home router.
2. Set a fixed address in /etc/dhcpcd.conf (there's some examples in there for how to do that).

Do not update /boot/cmdline.txt or /etc/network/interfaces as that WILL lead to two addresses being assigned.
Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Return to “Troubleshooting”