RYoder97

Optimizing Raspberry Pi Zero W

Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:15 am

Hi again!

Now that I've got everything up and running with my Pi Zero W, I'd like to know how I can optimize it. My monitor is 1920x1080, and the Pi appears to struggle with GPU-focused tasks such as displaying high-res images within the browser kiosk I've implemented.

Besides overclocking, how can I extract more performance out of the Pi Zero W? If it can run RetroPie and play video games, I'm surprised at how it appears to struggle loading static images in-browser and transitioning between them. Could it be there is too much abstraction within a web browser? I ask because I only really know how to make GUI's with HTML and CSS, given I have a degree in those technologies.

Would a pure Python GUI be better though? Appreciate the answers as always! :)

-Rick

fruitoftheloom

Re: Optimizing Raspberry Pi Zero W

Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:04 am

RYoder97 wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:15 am
Hi again!

Now that I've got everything up and running with my Pi Zero W, I'd like to know how I can optimize it. My monitor is 1920x1080, and the Pi appears to struggle with GPU-focused tasks such as displaying high-res images within the browser kiosk I've implemented.

Besides overclocking, how can I extract more performance out of the Pi Zero W? If it can run RetroPie and play video games, I'm surprised at how it appears to struggle loading static images in-browser and transitioning between them. Could it be there is too much abstraction within a web browser? I ask because I only really know how to make GUI's with HTML and CSS, given I have a degree in those technologies.

Would a pure Python GUI be better though? Appreciate the answers as always! :)

-Rick

chromium-browser and other web browsers are resource hungry, maybe try kweb ??

viewtopic.php?t=40860

You could run TinyCore Operating System instead of Raspbian as it is very minimal:

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.ph ... ,57.0.html

viewtopic.php?f=91&t=186637
Adieu

RYoder97

Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:35 am

Thanks for the reply. I will look into those.

Is there really any other solution though? It seems like it's the graphics that are slowing down the Pi so significantly. Is it worth even overclocking the GPU?

RYoder97

Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:52 am

Just an update. So I'm using KWeb.

Keep in mind that KWeb is the only thing on the screen at the time. All this web page does is load a bunch of images onto a page, hide all of them on load, and then show a random one every 4 seconds. I don't really understand how this is constantly making the CPU hit 100%, and making the page stutter and flash two images at once in quick succession, not to mention it seems delayed in reacting to the 4 second deadline.
I've also tried compressing the images (a few of which were compressed as much as 64%). I'm really not understanding what's going on.

Temperature is only 42.8 degrees Celsius at the time of me typing this.

Update: Eventually, the page crashes either XOrg or the browser tab (Aw, Snap! in Chromium, for example).

ghans

Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:55 am

Did you try dedicated digital signage apps like pi-presents instead ?
Browsers and web technologies add a lot of overhead and the Pi Zero is already quite
underpowered.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Return to “Troubleshooting”