WillBoxGaming1

Static local IP?

Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:14 am

Hi!
Im trying to set little home servers on my Pi. For example, im doing some website~MCPE v0.12.2 related stuff on there! All is working perfectly fine with port forwarding and stuff like that, but theres only one problem:

When I setted up my port forwarding, I opened the port on this local IP: 192.168.0.103. But soon after, my Pi changed his local IP to 192.168.0.107. This is pretty anoying since im accessing my Pi over the internet, and when it does that, my port forwarding becomes 'obsolete'.

How could I make my dynamic local IP a static local IP on my Raspberry Pi?

Ps: Im using it over WiFi. No Ethernet Port is involved.

Thanks alot for the help :)

klricks

Re: Static local IP?

Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:34 am

WillBoxGaming1 wrote:
Hi!
Im trying to set little home servers on my Pi. For example, im doing some website~MCPE v0.12.2 related stuff on there! All is working perfectly fine with port forwarding and stuff like that, but theres only one problem:

When I setted up my port forwarding, I opened the port on this local IP: 192.168.0.103. But soon after, my Pi changed his local IP to 192.168.0.107. This is pretty anoying since im accessing my Pi over the internet, and when it does that, my port forwarding becomes 'obsolete'.

The easiest way is to configure a local IP to MAC address reservation (DHCP) in your router. That way the router will always give the same IP with no config changes on the RPI. If you ever use Ethernet then be sure to assign a different IP to the Ethernet MAC.

The other option is to configure the RPi for a static IP. Hundreds of posts on that.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Stretch w/ Desktop OS.

pcmanbob

Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:17 pm

The easiest way is to configure a local IP to MAC address reservation (DHCP) in your router. That way the router will always give the same IP with no config changes on the RPI. If you ever use Ethernet then be sure to assign a different IP to the Ethernet MAC.

The other option is to configure the RPi for a static IP. Hundreds of posts on that.
+1 for using address reservation on your router .

But if you do go down the route of static IP on your pi, these instructions are current for raspbian.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/learning/ne ... p-address/

grabbing a random one off the web or here could result in your getting out of date instructions.
Please only ask questions in the forum I will not answer questions sent to me directly via PM
Remember we want information.......................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading is not supported

WillBoxGaming1

Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:53 pm

klricks wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:34 am
WillBoxGaming1 wrote:
Hi!

Okay! I got on my router's config page (192.168.0.1) and I found this thing:

If i translate, it says:
[ x ] Turn on
[ ]
Name of the computer \/
IP Adress:
Mac Adress:
[ Copy the MAC adress from your PC ]
[ Save ] [ Erase ]

What should I do? I dont want to mess up! :P
Enjoy my ASCII art x)

pcmanbob

Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:04 pm

WillBoxGaming1 wrote:

If i translate, it says:
[ x ] Turn on
[ ]
Name of the computer \/
IP Adress:
Mac Adress:
[ Save ] [ Erase ]

Enjoy my ASCII art x)

First turn the function on and save it.

you may find you will get a list of connected devices which you can select one from and use the current details as the settings,

if not, look at connected devices on your routers web page you should find your pi, from there you can copy its current IP and its mac address.
then you can enter them in the relevant fields on this page and save it

then when ever your pi connects it should always get the same IP address.

if you mess it up just select it and erase the entry and try again.

Cant actually read you image its to small. :( if you need more help may be stating your router make and model will help use find a manual for it.
Please only ask questions in the forum I will not answer questions sent to me directly via PM

WillBoxGaming1

Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:22 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:04 pm
WillBoxGaming1 wrote:

If i translate, it says:
[ x ] Turn on
[ ]
Name of the computer \/
IP Adress:
Mac Adress:
[ Save ] [ Erase ]

Enjoy my ASCII art x)

First turn the function on and save it.

you may find you will get a list of connected devices which you can select one from and use the current details as the settings,

if not, look at connected devices on your routers web page you should find your pi, from there you can copy its current IP and its mac address.
then you can enter them in the relevant fields on this page and save it

then when ever your pi connects it should always get the same IP address.

if you mess it up just select it and erase the entry and try again.

Cant actually read you image its to small. :( if you need more help may be stating your router make and model will help use find a manual for it.
Sorry, fixed my image! Ill be trying that in a couple days since I have more important stuff going on here. Ill be back in a couple days to tell you if it worked. Thanks alot mate!

pcmanbob

Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:07 pm

So now I can read the image it looks like you can at least copy the mac address from the pc you want to set the reserved address for, so make sure your pi is connected when you go to do this, you will probably still need to write down the IP before you start.

but it also looks like you can select the computer name from a list "nom de l'ordinateur" so it looks like you should be able to sort things without to much difficulty.

WillBoxGaming1

Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:28 am

pcmanbob wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:07 pm
So now I can read the image it looks like you can at least copy the mac address from the pc you want to set the reserved address for, so make sure your pi is connected when you go to do this, you will probably still need to write down the IP before you start.

but it also looks like you can select the computer name from a list "nom de l'ordinateur" so it looks like you should be able to sort things without to much difficulty.
Thanks alot, it worked. Im using my PI over 192.168.0.199 now! Thanks!

Return to “Troubleshooting”