papous

can not connect to my pi3

Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:52 pm

Hello all
I thought that this was going to happen and I did not take the appropriate backup...
So,
I was trying to create a access point and was following instructions found in this forum. This did not work so I tried following different instructions and then different ones.
Now although my phone detects the given ssid I can not connect to it not even with putty
Any help would be gratefully appreciated otherwise I am going to loose important work
Many thanks

wh7qq

Re: can not connect to my pi3

Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:25 am

First off, there is no need to loose important work. Get a fresh uSD card and flash it with Raspbian and with power safely turned off, remove the old uSD and replace it with the freshly flashed one. Windows will not see your linux files on the old uSD card so either get a uSD-USB adapter or download and burn a Linux live distribution to run on your PC. It will be able to find your important files in the /root partition. An adapter will allow you to do this on the RPi itself. You can then transfer the files back to your new uSD card.

Second, BACK UP YOUR FILES to a safe place...your PC hard drive or another uSD card using "SD Card Copier" on the Raspbian Accessories ,menu. Do it as often as you create or change them. Best bet is to learn to use "rsync" or another backup program that will do it automatically rather than depend on your memory. The ability to swap out uSD cards is an important feature of the RPi so you can isolate your messing about from the more critical work you do on it. I don't own a "smart" phone so I can't help you with that.

papous

Re: can not connect to my pi3

Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:29 pm

Many thanks for your reply
As I said, I knew it was going to happen but...
Anyway, I solved it by connecting a monitor and keyboard to the pi
Thank you again

Return to “Troubleshooting”