TheTechRobo

RPi booting into Darkness

Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:39 pm

In Raspbian, my RPi 3 is worrying me. :(
I changed the RAM for the GUI from 180 to 64 and rebooted. Now I see the rainbow screen, then the SHIFT for Recovery, then the OS picker (I have 2: RECALBOX and Raspbian. I choose Raspbian then saw a black screen. I tried pressing CTRL+ALT+F2 AND tried pressing all the F buttons. I have a Logitech keyboard, if that helps. I put the SD card on my iMac but the partitions were only boot, boot0, and RECOVERY. The other ones were unavailable, they were showing up in Disk Utility, but grayed out and I couldn't do anything with them. I suspect one of the grayed out ones is Raspbian because on Raspbian I have a 16GB partition and on the iMac it had one that was 16GB. I am very scared. I had to unplug it twice to restart it if it was showing the blank screen.
I did not miss a step as I have had the RPi since April 2017.

Please help...
Sent from TheTechRobo

TheTechRobo

Re: RPi booting into Darkness

Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:46 pm

My keyboard was off. I'm trying again......

It didn't work.

I cannot use SSH, as I have not set it up and at this point I probably can't. I have a backup tool but I think I have to be IN the same Raspbian as I had when I did it so I can't fix it by using the backup.
I don't want to lose anything.
Sent from TheTechRobo

B.Goode

Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:38 pm

Is the question that you want to modify the memory split directive in the config.txt file for the Raspbian OS? But you can't boot into it to modify it?

Since you are running with the NOOBS Installer, accept the option to press Shift during the boot process to return to the NOOBS Recovery Console. Then you will find an option (e) that will allow you to edit the 2 configuration files for the currently selected installed Operating System.

See here for NOOBS documentation: https://github.com/raspberrypi/noobs/bl ... /README.md
The NOOBS interface provides the following functionality:

Install: Installs the selected OSes onto your SD card. Changing this selection erases all OSes currently installed.
Edit Config: Opens a text editor allowing the cmdline and config for the selected installed OS to be edited.

TheTechRobo

Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:39 pm

No. I changed the memory split already but I dont think its fixable thru the NOOBS thing. The damage is already done.

Tell me if you think I should try it anyway, but as long as it wont make me reinstall.
Sent from TheTechRobo

TheTechRobo

Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:07 pm

Okay Sorry, not experienced coder, so just Reinstalled. :cry:
Luckily it gave me the change to uninstall RECALBOX, and also I didn't lose much. :D
Plus it gave me a chance for a FRESH START!
Also, doubt I lost much data ;) :)

But thanks anyway. Sorry if I was rude in my Latest Post.
TtR
Sent from TheTechRobo

Return to “Troubleshooting”