PolarBear123

Alternatives to omxplayer

Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:39 pm

Hello,
I am using VNC on my mac and Raspberry Pi 3. When I try to play the videos I took with my Raspberry Pi Camera module, using omxplayer, nothing happens and the terminal displays some info about my video and "Have a nice day ;)".

Are there some alternatives to playing the video from the RPi Camera module than omxplayer??

Thanks!
Raspberry Pi's are cool and so are Polar Bears!

gjs31

Re: Alternatives to omxplayer

Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:01 pm

I had the same problem recently when I got my camera. I do everything through VNC (that way only one keyboard/mouse on my small desk).

What you can do is from within the Pi VNC session
  • Open VNC
  • From the menu top right select "Options"
  • Open the "Troubleshooting" menu
  • Check "Enable experimental direct capture mode"
The session will flicker, if it doesn't close the session and reopen.

You will notice the mouse cursor follows a dot, which is a bit annoying to begin with but you get used to it.

OMX should now work.

The main limitation here is framerate, its very slow compared to HDMI, particularly with OMX. When I'm doing camera previews I change the resolution down to 640x480 and the window size accordingly. Then if you're doing anything that requires higher framerates I connect back to HDMI.

PolarBear123

Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:14 pm

I tried that, but the framerate is still low. Is there another possibility, such as another application?
P.S.: The VLC player also doesn't work over VNC by me.
Raspberry Pi's are cool and so are Polar Bears!

gkreidl

Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:06 am

It can't work. Simple mathematics: Multiply width x height x fps x 32 (RGBA to bits) and compare that with the 100 MBit ethernet bandwidth.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

n67

Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:20 am

The right way to do this is to connect up an HDMI screen (video & audio) to the Pi, then SSH in (no need for VNC, although that should work as well).

Once in, you can run omxplayer and it will display (in full speed and full glory) on the HDMI screen.

Problem solved. You still end up with just one keyboard/mouse/etc on your desk, but you get the video being displayed where it belongs. I use this sort of setup on one of my machines (where I SSH in to run videos on the big TV).
"L'enfer, c'est les autres"

G fytc hsqr rum umpbq rm qyw rm rfc kmbq md rfgq dmpsk:

Epmu Sn!

J lnacjrw njbruh-carppnanm vxm rb mnuncrwp vh yxbcb!

Return to “Troubleshooting”