bluefog

Raspberry Pi 3 rainbow screen with lightening bolt

Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:57 pm

Hello everyone,

Just booted my Pi 3 after it was kept off for about 6 months. It is stuck at the following screen (attached).
WhatsApp Image 2018-01-08 at 21.25.41.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-01-08 at 21.25.41.jpeg (25.68 KiB) Viewed 10164 times
I followed The Booting Problems sticky and the troubleshooting guide https://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting

No USB devices connected to the Pi, only the HDMI (with an HDMI to VGA converter), along with the SD card in the slot.

The PWR LED is on constantly.
The ACT LED does not turn on at all.

Things I have tried:
Two different SD cards (formatted using the SD Card Formatter, overwrite mode) with NOOBS and Raspbian Image.
2 different power supplies (both phone chargers, 2.4A & 2A)

I have a multimeter at hand. Voltage at all the test points are within tolerance, with the exception of the PP10, which reads 1.8V (brownout) instead of 3.3V.

Should I try to get another power supply? Any other tests I can do?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Raspberry Pi 3 rainbow screen with lightening bolt

Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:36 pm

Dodgy USB power lead?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Burngate

Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:24 pm

bluefog wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:57 pm
... The PWR LED is on constantly.
... Voltage at all the test points are within tolerance, with the exception of the PP10, which reads 1.8V (brownout) instead of 3.3V.
If the Lightning bolt is displayed, the red PWR LED should be off. If the red LED is on, there should be no lightning bolt. So I'm confused.

PP10 is between the red LED and a 470R resistor to the 3v3 rail, so with the LED on, I would expect about 1v8. So that's alright.
Should I try to get another power supply?
Yes. Phone chargers really don't cut the mustard.

drgeoff

Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:29 pm

If you really have 5 volts +/- 5% at the board but only 1.8 volts instead of 3.3 then I cannot see how the PSU or cable could be causing that. Looks like the 3.3 volts regulator is faulty or its load is drawing excessive current.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:33 pm

The lightening bolt is displayed even when the dips below 4.6V are very short, too short to see with the RED LED, its exactly why the PI doesn't rely on only the power LED.

bluefog

Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:09 pm

Thanks for the responses.
jamesh wrote:Dodgy USB power lead?
One of the chargers has a fixed lead, changed the lead with the other one with the same result.
drgeoff wrote: Looks like the 3.3 volts regulator is faulty or its load is drawing excessive current.
Could this happen even when PP8 is at 3.37V? (I am following viewtopic.php?f=28&t=89522)
Burngate wrote:Yes. Phone chargers really don't cut the mustard.
Sure, I'll try and get a better supply.
mahjongg wrote: The lightening bolt is displayed even when the dips below 4.6V are very short, too short to see with the RED LED, its exactly why the PI doesn't rely on only the power LED.
Could this be a problem with the Pi's brownout detection circuit?

One thing I noticed, when working with an SD card with NOOBS, I get the rainbow screen. With an SD card with a Raspbian image, I get nothing at all on the display.

HawaiianPi

Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:58 pm

bluefog wrote:
One of the chargers has a fixed lead, changed the lead with the other one with the same result.
There are 2 potential problems when using a phone charger as a power supply.

The first is that phone/battery charging does not require precise voltage regulation, and as a result some phone chargers have poor regulation and will not deliver 5V under load. This still works fine for phone charging, because a phone will charge at 4.5V, but it won't run a Pi3. I have 5V/2.4A chargers that dip well below 5V at only a 1A load.

The second is the micro-USB cable used to deliver power to the Pi. Many micro-USB cable have thin wires with too much resistance to deliver the kind of power a Raspberry Pi3 might need (the USB 2.0 spec only requires 500mA, but a 2.5A supply is recommended for the Pi3).

You'll want to use micro-USB cable with at least 24 gauge power wires, and keep the power lead as short as is practical because cable resistance increases with length. Here is a post I made awhile back about some of the best micro USB cables I have tired: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=165393
bluefog wrote:
One thing I noticed, when working with an SD card with NOOBS, I get the rainbow screen. With an SD card with a Raspbian image, I get nothing at all on the display.
That's odd, I get the rainbow screen with both. But it could be your monitor is not turning on fast enough (I have one older monitor that does not show the rainbow GPU test because it is slow to turn on the screen when it gets a signal).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Burngate

Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:05 am

bluefog wrote:
drgeoff wrote: Looks like the 3.3 volts regulator is faulty or its load is drawing excessive current.
Could this happen even when PP8 is at 3.37V? (I am following viewtopic.php?f=28&t=89522)
If PP8 is at 3.3v then the regulator probably isn't faulty.
PP10 isn't a reliable test point for the 3v3 supply.
PP8-PP10.png
PP8-PP10.png (28.26 KiB) Viewed 10065 times
mahjongg wrote: The lightening bolt is displayed even when the dips below 4.6V are very short, too short to see with the RED LED, its exactly why the PI doesn't rely on only the power LED.
Could this be a problem with the Pi's brownout detection circuit?
It's not a fault - it's how it's supposed to work!
The rainbow screen - four pixels blown up to fill most of the screen - is created by the first bit of the boot sequence, Bootcode.bin if I remember correctly.
If it doesn't get further, it's because it can't find the rest of the firmware.

As usual, mahjongg has deconfused me regarding the lightning bolt - red LED conundrum.
Neither of your phone chargers can maintain 5v at their full current, so get a decent supply, with thick cables.

bluefog

Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:37 am

Just got an official power supply https://www.amazon.in/Raspberry-Pi-Ston ... 065&sr=8-2. Same things as before. The VCC is at 5.1V.

I guess my Pi is dead :(

pcmanbob

Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:45 pm

Now you have the proper power supply, try flashing a new copy of raspbian on to your SD card, and use that to test your pi.

with a bad power supply its possible if not probable that your SD card is corrupt caused by the repeated low voltage.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

bluefog

Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:50 pm

pcmanbob wrote: Now you have the proper power supply, try flashing a new copy of raspbian on to your SD card, and use that to test your pi.

with a bad power supply its possible if not probable that your SD card is corrupt caused by the repeated low voltage.
I was aware of that possibility, so did the same cycle once more with the new supply (format, flash, verify). Everything is same (rainbow screen with lightening bolt). I also tried with the last image that booted successfully on this board (Jessie), to have the same effect.

Is there a way to circumvent the brownout detection circuit? (As a last resort..)

Any other tests I could do to isolate this?

pcmanbob

Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:16 pm

Is there a way to circumvent the brownout detection circuit? (As a last resort..)
The brownout circuit does not stop the Pi from booting all it does is indicated that there is a problem with the supplied voltage via the RED LED and the on screen flash icon.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

MiffPi

Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:22 am

Have you ever figured this out?

My co-worker ordered a kit and had this problem with 2 different model B 3+.
My Model B 3 works perfectly fine.

I have tried several power supply's, re-formatted the SD Card, tried putting in my SD Card (works great on my Pi), but nothing seems to work.

Thank you in advance! Any help on this is much appreciated!

jamesh

Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:39 pm

Presuming that you are using the latest OS image then this is always a power supply problem. Have you tried an official supply?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

drgeoff

Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:03 pm

MiffPi wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:22 am
Have you ever figured this out?

My co-worker ordered a kit and had this problem with 2 different model B 3+.
My Model B 3 works perfectly fine.

I have tried several power supply's, re-formatted the SD Card, tried putting in my SD Card (works great on my Pi), but nothing seems to work.

Thank you in advance! Any help on this is much appreciated!
If your card that works in the 3B has an OS that you downloaded before the 3B+ was released then it will not work in a 3B+.

Download the latest Raspbian and use Etcher to put that on a card. No need to format the card.

Return to “Troubleshooting”