SadGuy
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:53 pm

Access point with official raspberry wi-fi dongle

Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:00 pm

Hey, I bought official wi-fi dongle for Raspberry Pi and I want to setup access point on my Raspberry Pi 2 B running latest Raspbian.
I have been following this guide https://elinux.org/RPI-Wireless-Hotspot
In the end I cant see any wi-fi network created at all and my SSH stopped working.
Do I need to install some kind of driver for this dongle and what should i put into hostapd.conf to "driver="?

User avatar
fruitoftheloom
Posts: 15461
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Bognor Regis UK

Re: Access point with official raspberry wi-fi dongle

Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:48 pm

SadGuy wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:00 pm
Hey, I bought official wi-fi dongle for Raspberry Pi and I want to setup access point on my Raspberry Pi 2 B running latest Raspbian.
I have been following this guide https://elinux.org/RPI-Wireless-Hotspot
In the end I cant see any wi-fi network created at all and my SSH stopped working.
Do I need to install some kind of driver for this dongle and what should i put into hostapd.conf to "driver="?


Try a more up to date guide which works with Raspbian Stretch:

https://github.com/SurferTim/documentat ... s-point.md
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C ARM32 SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC.
3 Mobile Huawei E5330 Mobile Mi-Fi

SadGuy
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:53 pm

Re: Access point with official raspberry wi-fi dongle

Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:15 pm

Great! I will definitely try it. But any thought what driver should I use for this adapter?

User avatar
fruitoftheloom
Posts: 15461
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Bognor Regis UK

Re: Access point with official raspberry wi-fi dongle

Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:22 pm

SadGuy wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:15 pm
Great! I will definitely try it. But any thought what driver should I use for this adapter?

If it is the Official Raspberry Pi Adaptor the driver is included in Raspbian OS:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/ra ... fi-dongle/
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C ARM32 SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC.
3 Mobile Huawei E5330 Mobile Mi-Fi

SadGuy
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:53 pm

Re: Access point with official raspberry wi-fi dongle

Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:39 pm

Yeah, but there is that line in hostapd.conf
"driver=nl80211"
Should I just leave it as it is?

SadGuy
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:53 pm

Re: Access point with official raspberry wi-fi dongle

Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:11 pm

So I have just tried to configure AP with guide you sent, but with no luck.
I don't know how to troubleshoot this at all :/

SadGuy
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:53 pm

Re: Access point with official raspberry wi-fi dongle

Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:33 pm

I actually solved it. I went with older adafruit guide and Raspbian Jessie.

mattmiller
Posts: 1644
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:25 pm

Re: Access point with official raspberry wi-fi dongle

Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:48 pm

I actually solved it. I went with older adafruit guide and Raspbian Jessie.
Thats like saying - I solved the car not working by going back to using a horse instead :)

But I'm with your solution if it does the job :)

SadGuy
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:53 pm

Re: Access point with official raspberry wi-fi dongle

Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:38 am

mattmiller wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:48 pm
I actually solved it. I went with older adafruit guide and Raspbian Jessie.
Thats like saying - I solved the car not working by going back to using a horse instead :)

But I'm with your solution if it does the job :)
Deadline is close you know :lol:

SurferTim
Posts: 1265
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:27 am
Location: Miramar Beach, Florida

Re: Access point with official raspberry wi-fi dongle

Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:06 am

The old obsolete documentation is gone! It has been replaced by the current instructions for Stretch.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... s-point.md

Return to “Troubleshooting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 71 guests