timg11

PiZeroW - Reboot and shutdown no longer work

Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:49 pm

My Pi Zero W has lost the ability to reboot. Either form:

Code: Select all

sudo shutdown -r now
sudo reboot
does nothing. The SSH terminal continues to respond (echoing characters and newline, and CTRL-C brings it back to prompt).

After some searching I found this method:

sudo systemctl --force --force poweroff
It does work, but why would shutdown and reboot fail?

How can I debug the underlying issue?

System stats:

[email protected]:~ $ uname -a
Linux Pi-ZeroW-1 4.9.35+ #1014 Fri Jun 30 14:34:49 BST 2017 armv6l GNU/Linux
[email protected]:~ $ cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie)"
NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="8"
VERSION="8 (jessie)"
ID=raspbian
ID_LIKE=debian

pcmanbob

Re: PiZeroW - Reboot and shutdown no longer work

Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:21 pm

Either some thing you have done has disabled it, Did you make any changes to the software/OS on your pi just before this problem raised its head ?
or your SD card has become corrupt possibly due to no shutting down correctly or a power problem.

simplest answer would be to re-flash your card with your OS backup or if you don't have one a fresh install of raspbian on a spare SD card and then using a USB SD card adapter mount your existing SD card on your pi and copy off any files you need.
Remember we want information.......................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading is not supported

timg11

Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:29 pm

Thanks, I know how to rebuild the system, but I was hoping this was a solvable issue.

Further details: If I leave the ssh terminal for a few minutes after issuing "sudo poweroff" or other similar commands, eventually this is displayed:

Failed to start poweroff.target: Connection timed out

Broadcast message from [email protected] on pts/0 (Wed 2017-12-27 10:22:21 CST):

The system is going down for power-off NOW!

At this point, the prompt returns, and the system never goes down. Searching on that message has not been fruitful so far.

Schorschi

Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:53 pm

Did this ever get solved? Shutdown --reboot 1 (reboot after 1 minute)... works in part, the PiZero W shuts down... but it never restarts. Pretty ugly issue.

pcmanbob

Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:28 am

This is the only post I have seen with this issue, so I suspect it as I originally said some thing you did or a corrupted SD card caused this.

If it was a wide spread problem I would have expected to see may posts about it.

timg11

Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:56 pm

@Schorschi, I was unable to find any information on solving this problem, and was unable to determine any process for debugging or understanding the issue. Therefore my only recourse was to re-flash the SD card with a fresh raspbian distribution, and reinstall everything. Not ideal, but apparently necessary.

Lob0426

Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:04 pm

I have this issue also.

I am running Stretch. It worked fine for shut down at CLI and in GUI when installed. THEN I updated and upgraded now neither of these cards will shut down properly. I did add XRDP. But the problem does not seem to be with that added. I think it is something in the updates.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

Stryker777

Sat May 05, 2018 11:18 am

I too now have this issue. It was working fine till May second at 1203am. I have a system monitor watching it. A reboot command was sent and it didn't come back. I thought it had run out of battery since it is running off solar. After two days, I climbed to it and power cycled it. It came up fine. I rebooted it again last night and it failed again. I lose connection to it, the wireless interface goes down, and it never comes back. I guess I'll have to pull the unit down completely and trouble shoot it.

pcmanbob

Sun May 06, 2018 8:57 am

Stryker777 wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 11:18 am
I too now have this issue. It was working fine till May second at 1203am. I have a system monitor watching it. A reboot command was sent and it didn't come back. I thought it had run out of battery since it is running off solar. After two days, I climbed to it and power cycled it. It came up fine. I rebooted it again last night and it failed again. I lose connection to it, the wireless interface goes down, and it never comes back. I guess I'll have to pull the unit down completely and trouble shoot it.
If you pi is running off of a battery/solar panel its entirely possible that the pi had a loss of supply or even just a low volts on the supply resulting in SD card corruption, this could cause all sorts of problems including the one you are experiencing.

Return to “Troubleshooting”