cupofcalculus

Samba public share not showing up on Windows 10

Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:27 pm

I'm trying to access my files on external hard drives, via Raspberry Pi and samba. For the longest time it worked fine, but then one day it stopped. I went to Windows File Explorer, clicked on Network, and brings up a list of items, one of which was Raspberry Pi. But now it no longer shows up.

I've reformatted my micro SD card about half a dozen times, along with update/upgrade and installing samba. One time it worked, for a couple hours or so, but then stopped working again. I can see and access the files with my phone, but not my Windows 10 laptop.

I'm not sure what's causing this.

cupofcalculus

Re: Samba public share not showing up on Windows 10

Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:05 am

Still having the issue. Any ideas? Was there a Windows update that might be responsible?

DarrenHill

Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:14 am

If you're using SMB1 and your Windows box has had the recent creator update then you can have issues, as by default SMB1 is disabled (due to the security risks highlighted by the recent Wannacry issue).

Check Control Panel > Programs & Features > Turn Windows features on or off and see if SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support is enabled or disabled.

If it's disabled, try enabling it and see if that resolves your issue.

However it's not really recommended to keep this enabled long-term due to the aforesaid security risks in SMB1, so also consider switching to a more secure solution (SMB2, SMB3, NFS etc) if possible.

cupofcalculus

Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:03 pm

DarrenHill wrote:
If you're using SMB1 and your Windows box has had the recent creator update then you can have issues, as by default SMB1 is disabled (due to the security risks highlighted by the recent Wannacry issue).

Check Control Panel > Programs & Features > Turn Windows features on or off and see if SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support is enabled or disabled.

However it's not really recommended to keep this enabled long-term due to the aforesaid security risks in SMB1, so also consider switching to a more secure solution (SMB2, SMB3, NFS etc) if possible.
Dude, you're awesome! Thanks man. :)

devenh

Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:01 pm

Ran into this same problem and a search led me here. Problem solved! Thanks!
Hopefully there will be a more secure version of SAMBA for the Pi.

quokka

Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:55 am

Hello everyone.
Don't forget that this protocol has been removed from default use for a reason.

Be aware, that Microsoft removed SMB1.0 from easy use in windows 10 as a result of a security vulnerability in SMB 1.0.

https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/current-ac ... nerability

If you use the work around and re-enable SMB 1.0 you could be making your PC more vulnerable to an attack.

As an aside, I enabled SMB 1.0 support on my windows 10 PC and was able to see my Pi as well as my linksys router WRT1900ACS, which is also Linux based. Both of these devices were not visible before enabling SMB 1.0 support on W 10.

I will now disable SMB 1.0 support and work on finding away to make my Pi use a later version of the SMB protocol.

DirkS

Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:53 am

quokka wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:55 am
I will now disable SMB 1.0 support and work on finding away to make my Pi use a later version of the SMB protocol.
If necessary use the 'vers=' option when setting up a mount to a SMB/CIFS share.
But IIRC on Raspbian Stretch the default is v2.

virgisr

Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:02 pm

DarrenHill wrote:

you are god! was having the problem almost from day one since i installed windows 10. solved now! thank you a lot!

Return to “Troubleshooting”