pumpkinhead

Re: HDMI Audio Drops Out Periodically

Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:09 pm

Thanks Dom!

pumpkinhead

Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:36 pm

Dom, sounds good here. Old kernel on OpenElec has the audio DTS dropout on my samples but with the new kernel there's no drop out!

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:40 pm

pumpkinhead wrote:Dom, sounds good here. Old kernel on OpenElec has the audio DTS dropout on my samples but with the new kernel there's no drop out!
Good to hear!

Tinwarble

Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:18 pm

@dom,

I can confirm, the new FW seems to have resolved the DTS (ES) dropout issue.

I've only had a chance to test one file that I had previous issues with, but it played without any audio dropouts.

Thanks.

Hoofee

Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:59 am

Dom, you're a bloody legend!

I've tested it on four DTS-ES movies that had the issue and it works fine on all of them.

Thanks a million.

Cheers,
Dave.

ringlord

Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:38 pm

Thanks Dom! This solved the issue for me as well :D

TheMystery

Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:17 pm

After i applied this frimware i have no audio dropout anymore with DTS.
But i have now another problem, sometimes when i start an mkv the sounds is only noise.
is there a way to solve this problem?

Hoofee

Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:21 am

Hi TheMystery,

I haven't had that problem and I use lots of mkv's.

So either that firmware has changed since we downloaded ours, something is not quite the same with your Pi setup, or maybe there is something quirky with that mkv?

If it is happening with various mkv files, maybe use the free MediaInfo software and see if you can determine some commonalities with the audio formats that are failing.

Cheers,
Dave.

TheMystery

Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:20 am

Hi Dave,

I have the problem with random mkv files, if an mkv file has noise as sound and i start the same file for the second time everything is good.

I have tried 3 different firmware versions sinds the bugfix for the dropout.

My setup is with Xbian 1 beta 2. What setup do you have? Xbian, openelec or raspbmc?

dom

Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:59 am

TheMystery wrote:After i applied this frimware i have no audio dropout anymore with DTS.
But i have now another problem, sometimes when i start an mkv the sounds is only noise.
Can you be explicit about what you are doing?

Audio format of the mkv file with the problem? (list any formats you've observed it with)
What are you playing it with? (omxplayer? xbmc?)
Passthrough enabled?
Make/model of TV/receiver?

GertrudeP

Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:07 pm

I have a very similar sounding problem and unfortunately what seems to solve it for others still leaves me with the same problem.
I have a clean '2013-09-25-wheezy-raspbian.img' boot, a apt-get update + upgrade and a 'rpi-update' which updates the firmare to the same version mentioned in dom's post. I've double checked the firmware files in the link from dom's post are identical to those on my SD.

I'm booting just into the console/prompt and have HDMI output. Just runing 'aplay' and 'speaker-test' produces some sound but the audio for the first half-a-second is usually missing, there's usually a series of 3 or 4 quick pops/clicks at the start of playback, and the rest of the audio seems fine.

I'm running -
aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
... can only catch the '... center' bit of the audio: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2GEoTK0pUg You can also see in the vid a moment where, during playing this wav, something appears to interfere with the command prompt. Only seen this happen twice though. Weirdly, doing the sine wave speaker test (speaker-test -t sine -f 400) does the usual few clicks at the start and continues fine but then, when going back to playing the wav, it sounds different; like the sound that is played back has lost the bass or something.

Another test I've tried is using 'espeak' text to speech: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tGjM6cqQXc
Again, this is missing the first second of the audio and the rest of the audio can sound fine or, on some occasions, can be a bit stuttery/glitchy.

I've tried disconnecting all USB connections (testing via SSH), and wondering whether it's a hardware problem, I got my hands on another Pi Model B (512MB) and get exactly the same behaviour.
The only way I've managed to get perfect audio from these tests is by disconnecting HDMI and listening via the headphone output.

Some more info -

uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 3.10.23+ #608 PREEMPT Mon Dec 9 21:11:23 GMT 2013 armv6l GNU/Linux

/opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd version
Dec 9 2013 21:27:54
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version c7215df85576f3e72f9c390db9bc2da642453b10 (clean) (release)

aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 0: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA]
Subdevices: 8/8
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
Subdevice #7: subdevice #7

I wondered whether anyone else can reproduce these test problems, even with the latest updates.

I will try and find another TV to see if I get the same behaviour but can anyone else suggest what I could do to identify the problem or suggest a solution?

TheMystery

Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:11 pm

dom wrote:
TheMystery wrote:After i applied this frimware i have no audio dropout anymore with DTS.
Can you be explicit about what you are doing?

Audio format of the mkv file with the problem? (list any formats you've observed it with)
What are you playing it with? (omxplayer? xbmc?)
Passthrough enabled?
Make/model of TV/receiver?
I am playig with xbmc, the mkv files audio format are AC3 5.1 and DTS 5.1
I have passthrough enabled for both dolby and dts.
Tv samsung d6500, receiver samsung d6750w, the pi is connected with the receiver.

dom

Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:35 pm

GertrudeP wrote:I'm running -
aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
... can only catch the '... center' bit of the audio
Sounds like your TV/receiver is slow to lock on to the audio.
Try:

Code: Select all

vcgencmd force_audio hdmi 1
before the aplay commands, and the HDMI audio channel will be kept open (outputting silence) when idle.

dom

Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:38 pm

TheMystery wrote:I am playig with xbmc, the mkv files audio format are AC3 5.1 and DTS 5.1
I have passthrough enabled for both dolby and dts.
Tv samsung d6500, receiver samsung d6750w, the pi is connected with the receiver.
Can you confirm you've seen noise with both AC3 and DTS files?
Can you confirm no noise when passthrough is disabled?

Can you try adding:

pause_burst_frames=0
to config.txt?

TheMystery

Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:30 pm

Can you confirm you've seen noise with both AC3 and DTS files? Yes
Can you confirm no noise when passthrough is disabled? Yes, did a quick test, started 10+ files and had no noise.

added pause_burst_frames=0 to config.txt rebooted, problem with noise is still there.

GertrudeP

Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:40 pm

seems to do the trick; after the first attempt of audio playback, successive audio tests are perfect.

There was still a problem with espeak being juddery but I tested outputting it to a .wav file first and then playing that with aplay, where I can hear the whole test phrase sounding exactly as it should, so that's a separate espeak-specific problem it seems.

Thanks very much for the help, dom.

GertrudeP

Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:17 pm

... confirmed that the espeak problem is a known issue and seems specific to espeak: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 42&start=0

aiurxx

Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:19 pm

This thread has been the closest thing to reaching a solution that I've seen!

My problem is similar, if not exact, to what several of the other users have had.

I go to play a 1080p DTS movie and every 20-60seconds the picture and audio will freeze which shows the receiver going from DTS to no audio then back to DTS once the stream begins again. This happens at 60hz & 24hz, with DTS capable receiver checked, with the raspberry connected to the TV which connects to my receiver using an optical out or even directly into the receiver via HDMI.

I've tried the new kernel that dom has put up but the problem still persisted.

I have used RaspBMC as well as OpenELEC. I'm currently running OpenELEC which is overclocked rather aggressively. All my movie files are on a 1gbs NAS.

I've gone up and down multiple threads trying many different things including setting up NFS (currently I'm using SMB).

This problem has persisted through every set up I could come up with. The crazy thing is that it was working fine about a month and a half ago using SMB shares with DTS files. Then one day it just started stuttering throughout a movie, freeze, and crash to main screen. After that, the DTS/Video freezing is nonstop.

Any advice is GREATLY appreciated....

pmarun

Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:22 am

i am getting the same problem playing wav files on openelec/raspberry pi. I do not know Linux. How do I download and copy the files onto my sad card ?

I installed openelec from noobs. My pi is hard wired to my router via power line network adapters as bot are in different rooms. I ssh to my pi through putty.

Appreciate any help.

thanks

alphatech69

Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:52 am

Forgive me I'm new to RaspberryPI and I'm learning as I go.

I read these two lines
Download:
https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-firmware/ ... tart_x.elf
https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-firmware/ ... ixup_x.dat

Replace the files on FAT partition of sdcard (e.g. by inserting the scard in a windows PC) with those.
I believe with OpenELEC you rename them to start.elf and fixup.dat (make sure the names match what's currently there).

When I put the SD card in a Windows PC, I do not see these files you mentioned, using Putty and ssh in the Raspbmc I see them under the boot directory. How do I replace these two files from a desktop location to the remote PI?

On the same note, any good book that you would suggest to get me up to speed? I'm reading lot of posting but is taking lot of time to learn basic stuff.

Thanks for the help

alphatech69

Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:56 pm

I figured it out for others. You can ftp in the software using winscp, you may need to enable the root by using sudo passwd root. Then move the files over via the winscp in the boot directory.

Jon (aka nle)

Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:03 pm

Hi, I know this is a long shot, but I have the exact same problems on an HTPC of mine (not Raspberry) running Arch Linux. I was hoping someone here has the knowledge about how I can implement

on regular Linux.

My HDMI audio works fine from XBMC directly on my TV, but when I connect it too my Samsung receiver the audio drops for a few seconds every couple of minutes. Video plays fine. Audio through SP-DIFF also works.

Sorry about the misplaced post, but I can't find any information about anything similar on the issue.

Hope you understand. :)

dom

Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:47 am

Jon (aka nle) wrote:Hi, I know this is a long shot, but I have the exact same problems on an HTPC of mine (not Raspberry) running Arch Linux. I was hoping someone here has the knowledge about how I can implement

on regular Linux.
ut
My HDMI audio works fine from XBMC directly on my TV, but when I connect it too my Samsung receiver the audio drops for a few seconds every couple of minutes. Video plays fine. Audio through SP-DIFF also works.
A "force_audio" type command won't help. That only keeps the hdmi channel active when idle, so won't affect dropouts when audio is being played.
Recent (gotham) xbmc builds allow this to be enabled in the audio settings with a timeout value on "keep audio alive when idle", but I don't think that would help.

It could be the signal level arriving at receiver is marginal - you could try a better/shorter hdmi cable.
It could be your receiver is rather picky about the hdmi clock. You might try a nighly gotham build, or look into updating kernel/driver.
But really this question is better asked in the xbmc forum, or the forum of your HTPC or graphics card.

Jon (aka nle)

Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:27 pm

Thanks for the reply. :)

I guess I misunderstood, but it looked like the problem described above fitted well with mine.

I will take your advice, and try - and if it don't work ask on the XBMC forum.

Thanks again, I will bugger off until I get myself a Raspberry Pi. :)

damis

Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:56 am

I'm sorry if I'm bringing back an old thread, but I'm having almost the same problem with my Raspberry Pi 2 running XBian (Kodi).

The basics: I'm running XBian on a Raspberry Pi 2, so I guess I can rule out a performance problem.
This happens only on online streaming, whether it is live streaming or video streaming, on some feeds.

The problem occurring is that every few seconds/minutes, the sound will cut out (as mentioned in the previous posts) as if somebody pressed mute, for 1-3 seconds, then come back normally without any sync problem.

This happens when my Raspberry Pi 2 is connected to my Onkyo receiver. I'll see the words HDMI and the audio type flashing while on "mute", then become steady when the sound is back.

When connected straight to the TV with the HDMI cable, no problem.
When I run that same source from an XBMC on my PC, through the same cable, on the same port on the same receiver, no problem there too.

It's only on the RPi 2 connected to the receiver.

Also, it doesn't occur on all the streaming feeds. So, it is not a case of bandwidth, as I can play some 1080p streaming flawlessly, and some much lower resolution feeds with the audio problem.
The feeds that are causing the problem are mainly live TV or videos from local TV service provides (Canada, Quebec)

I was very happy that I found this thread as it explains the same behavior I was getting, only not on local videos, but on streaming feeds only.

Can anyone pitch in any ideas, please?

I can provide with the feed (plugin), or logs or whatever is needed.

Thanks.

Return to “Troubleshooting”