giantsnyy

Strange Pi issues (Raspian Stretch)

Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:16 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm have a Raspberry Pi 2 running Raspian Stretch, and I'm having a ton of issues. This first started on Raspian Jessie - and even after a fresh install, is happening on Stretch.

My Pi will function for days without an issue - and then out of nowhere will suddenly shut down services or block incoming connections. For example > the UniFi controller web service stopped working, and the web service page was unavailable, however I was still able to log in using the UniFi app on my phone. Subfolders in Apache will suddenly stop working, but the base directory could still be read (I can browse to 10.x.x.x but not to 10.x.x.x/nagios3 - I'll get an Error 403). I can't SSH into the machine, I'll get a Connection Reset by Peer, but I can view the physical terminal without an issue. I can still log in to MySQL, but only with usernames that aren't root.

Pulling the plug and restarting it gets everything working again.

Has anyone seen something like this before? I've checked /var/log/messages and for some reason it clears the log every time this happens.
Is there another log I can check? I know almost nothing about Debian based Linux, as I almost exclusively work with SuSE Enterprise Server.

If you need me to pull anything, please let me know.

Mike

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Strange Pi issues (Raspian Stretch)

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:01 am

Slowly failing SD card perhaps?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

giantsnyy

Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:08 pm

I thought that as well back when this started on Jessie, so I replaced that.

I also heard that the Pi was very touchy regarding power adapters... so I've tried 4 or 5 different ones.

jahboater

Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:14 pm

giantsnyy wrote:

I also heard that the Pi was very touchy regarding power adapters... so I've tried 4 or 5 different ones.
Have you tried the "official" one for the Pi3?

https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/rasp ... wer-supply

jamesh

Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:28 pm

giantsnyy wrote:

It's not particularly touchy. It just needs one that is decent, and a lot out there are a bit rubbish. Also ensure you are using good quality USB power cables.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

giantsnyy

Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:17 pm

I haven't tried the official one...

But I am using an Apple 12W power adapter, and a Micro USB cable from one of my NetApp disk arrays, since those need to be reliable.

What else could be causing this?

jahboater

Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:21 pm

giantsnyy wrote:
I haven't tried the official one...

But I am using an Apple 12W power adapter, and a Micro USB cable from one of my NetApp disk arrays, since those need to be reliable.

What else could be causing this?
The USB cable needs to be short and thick to reduce voltage drop.
The official one is 18AWG!

HawaiianPi

Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:23 pm

giantsnyy wrote:
What kind of SD card were you using, and what did you replace it with?

If your system is doing a lot of writes, you should consider using a USB HDD or SSD instead of an SD card. With the latest Raspbian images you can write the image to a USB HDD or SSD and then place bootcode.bin on a FAT32 formatted SD card, which will load and run the OS from the USB HDD/SSD. Note that the SD card and boot USB device must be the only storage devices connected for this to work correctly.

Get bootcode.bin from, https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... otcode.bin
My password is the last 8 digits of Pi.

bensimmo

Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:29 pm

No idea, but it sounds like many routers I have used.
Somebody will know how to enabling logging etc to see what happening when you try and connect etc.

Anyway as a side note
www.suse.com/products/arm/raspberry-pi/

As for PSU your using decent stuff.

Edit above post, the Pi3 PSU cable is quite long at 1.5m and built in, not a usb connected cable (and output at 5.1V into the Pi.)
Some of my devices don't like that I've found.

n67

Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:35 pm

FWIW, there is a lot of chatter about power supplies, but a lot less about cables.

My experience is that the PS doesn't matter that much (unless you have a lot of power-hungry USB peripherals attached, which I never do) - but the cable matters a lot.

I routinely buy a bunch of USB (A to micro) cables from Monoprice - they are cheap and very good. I never have any power problems. Until I started using Monoprice cables, I used cheap/bad cables and had problems.

HawaiianPi

Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:37 pm

giantsnyy wrote:
Some phone and tablet chargers do not have very good voltage regulation, because that is not required for battery charging. I have tested 5V/2.4A chargers that dipped well below 5V at only a 1A load.

That's not true for all of them, of course, but you can't really know until you test them under load. And as others have said, you'll need a good, low resistance cable delivering power to the Pi. Which is why the official RPF PSU is often recommended. It has a built-in power cable (eliminating connector losses at the PSU) and the power cable has nice, fat 18 gauge wires (micro-USB cables are typically 28 gauge, with some using even thinner 30 gauge wires).

B.Goode

Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:43 pm

n67 wrote:
FWIW, there is a lot of chatter about power supplies, but a lot less about cables.
Quite right. That should be documented clearly somewhere. The 'Boot problems' sticky post for example.

Oh, hang on, it already says:
Without a power supply which is stable and fit-for-purpose, the Pi will not be able to read from the SD card, and it will fail to boot. These some known power supply issues which may cause boot problems:
Unsuitable PSU: it should be able to deliver sufficient power to meet the requirements of each model.
Unsuitable micro-USB cable: some cables too long, and use very thin copper wire which is not fit-for-purpose. You should use a short, thick, good-quality cable.

HawaiianPi

Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:47 pm

bensimmo wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:29 pm
Edit above post, the Pi3 PSU cable is quite long at 1.5m and built in, not a usb connected cable (and output at 5.1V into the Pi.)
Some of my devices don't like that I've found.
What devices don't like a better PSU?
n67 wrote:

My experience is that the PS doesn't matter that much (unless you have a lot of power-hungry USB peripherals attached, which I never do) - but the cable matters a lot.

I routinely buy a bunch of USB (A to micro) cables from Monoprice - they are cheap and very good. I never have any power problems. Until I started using Monoprice cables, I used cheap/bad cables and had problems.
The PSU matters a lot as well, but you are correct that the USB cable is also very important. I like the Monoprice Premium micro-USB cables, but I have found several others that are nice as well. viewtopic.php?f=63&t=165393 Note that the Volutz cables are now using slightly thinner wires in their short lengths (22 AWG in 1ft/1M), but they are still awesome cables.

bensimmo

Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:40 pm

Lots of talk about PSUs and Wires (to above Amazon fire doesn't like my Pi3 PSU too much, gets a lot hotter and has locked up, neither does one of my tablets.)
It's the 5.1V probably it was just a warning.

Also the Pi3 PSU is not the same as a USB PSU, you don't need to worry about the cable. That is built in so the output is at the end of the cable, not at the start of the cable. Just like if it was a jack of some sort.

But what about helping with the actual problem since,
A high quality Apple USB PSU should be good, it is capable of delivering 5V properly at the spec. 2/2.5A has been a standard charging current for a long time now at least 5yrs.
He says they are high quality cables used where quality is needed.
So assuming that is all correct given that it runs perfectly for a long time and then something in the software starts to behave unexpected while some parts still working, a bug perhaps, something triggers a block somewhere.
How can he identify problems from logs or create extra logs or for you PSU worriers, log if that has trigged the problem etc.
The Pi is still working.

It could well be dodgy fake SD cards and it hitting its limit, or a memory usage problem.
It sounds like he is technically ept at things.
I don't have the answers, but PSU wibble just derails things.
Last edited by bensimmo on Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

giantsnyy

Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:44 am

The usb cable is 18ga. These are used to connect to Netapp SAS array controller consoles. It needs to be of a good quality. Luckily I get one per controller so I have about 800 of them laying around. Could always try another.

As for the SD card, it’s a sandisk extreme plus 64gb.

I’ve even gone as far as enabling remote syslog to try and grab errors remotely, but of course, when the problems start, the logs stop sending.

giantsnyy

Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:56 pm

Does anyone have any ideas other than what's stated above? It's doing it again.

It's extremely frustrating because every time I need to restart the Pi, my access points disconnect and have to provision themselves again.

Return to “Troubleshooting”