DementedPurple

Black Screen past boot-up

Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:14 pm

I used to be able to plug in my raspberry pi with the USB and then have it display the TVs full resolution, and boot up just fine, but now it outputs a really low resolution, and the screen goes completely black after the raspian boot-up Screen, not the rainbow, but the one that comes after. Is it corrupt data?

DirkS

Re: Black Screen past boot-up

Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:28 pm

DementedPurple wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:14 pm
Is it corrupt data?
Could be. Or no space left on the SD card.
What size SD card do you have? What OS is installed (Raspbian? With or without Noobs?)
If you can log in using SSH you can check free space with

Code: Select all

df -h

DementedPurple

Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:16 pm

I can’t use that command if there is no feedback from the Pi itself. I doubt that there is no space on the SD card, mainly because it’s a 32GB card, and I have nothing on it except raspbian, noobs, a text editor, gcc, a few libraries and headers, and my code. And I don’t want to automatically assume that it’s corrupted, because I don’t want to lose all my work that I’m already way behind on.

B.Goode

Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:26 pm

I can’t use that command if there is no feedback from the Pi itself.
What @DirkS wrote was: If you can log in using SSH you can check free space

If you are already under time pressure I suggest skipping ahead to replacing the Operating System to get you up and running again.

If you hope to salvage otherwise unsaved work, do the installation onto a new/spare/replacement microSD card. Then with the addition of a cheap USB card reader-writer dongle you can use your new installation of Raspbian as a 'rescue workstation' to recover files and data from the suspect microSD if that is still physically possible.

Return to “Troubleshooting”