Wireless Network Dropping

12 posts
by Wisar » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:03 pm
I have a Belkin N150 dongle for a network connection and have been having trouble with it dropping on a regular basis. The RPi is still humming along (it is connected to an Arduino and is still commanding it happily).

I am not sure how to diagnose the problem. I killed my console port and I guess I could connect it to the TV but that is a pain. I have browsed through logs but can not find the ones that would be most relevant.

Any help would be appreciated.
by redhawk » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:50 pm
What is your voltage output at TP1/TP2 if gets too low the Wifi adapter may crap out??

Richard S.
by Wisar » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:01 am
Richard:

I will check that. Power is a persnickety thing for the RPi! Right now my RPi is being powered via a USB hub (powered) though my goal is to go to batteries once I get a replacement for the power regulator that I fried. Should a powered USB hub be providing enough juice?

Cheers,
Wisar
by pluggy » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:42 am
I have this in my /etc/network/interfaces file :

Code: Select all
wireless-power off

Which has the effect of turning off power saving mode on my

Code: Select all
Ralink Technology, Corp. RT5370 Wireless Adapter
(from lsusb)
which had the habit of 'dying' every few hours until I implemented it.

Using it on another adapter gives an error but otherwise does no harm. The name is from lsusb which is the chipset it uses and bears no relation whatever to whose name appears on the box (its a no-name special but almost certainly shares the chipset with a brand-name adapters). I have the entire setup including the SSID & password in /etc/network/interface, I don't have a seperate wpaxxxx file linked into the interfaces file.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......
by Wisar » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:22 am
pluggy:

That "wireless-power off" is worth a try...have stuck it into interfaces. What log would show an issue if it was not liked (or other network messages for that matter)?

I have not checked power per a previous suggestion but I did switch to direct power from a phone charger and I still got drops.

Thanks,
Wisar
by bredman » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:54 am
How are you providing power to the WiFi device? Via USB hub or directly from RPi?

If you are powering from the RPi, do you have a hardware version with 140mA polyfuses? These are two small components marked "14" next to the USB socket.
by Wisar » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:51 pm
bredman:

I have powered it both ways with the same behavior. It does not appear that I have the fuses...

Cheers,
Wisar
by fraser » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:07 pm
I've had similar issues with two wireless adapters. It improved when I switched to a Tenda W322U stick (it's a Ralink 3072 device internally). Also, switching to 'wireless-power off' greatly improved the reliability and latency of my connection with both USB dongles.

I eventually gave up trying to make it bullet proof and wrote a watchdog script which runs at startup and just pings my wireless base-station. It reboots the pi if things go south.

I have noticed ICMP packet loss with both Wifi adapters. Ping it from about 10 feet away from both the base station and the other end-point i get about 2% lost ICMP packets for no obvious reason. I kind of assumed that this might be related to the much-discussed USB interrupt latency issues...
by pluggy » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:08 pm
Mine is plugged directly into the Pi, albeit with short circuited USB polyfuses. I have another that works straight off on a Rev 2 Pi.
by Wisar » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:33 pm
It does seem like the 'wireless-power off' helped, though not solved, the issue. Maybe a watchdog script is in order. I wonder if you could unbind and then rebind the device rather than a full reboot?

Wisar
by pluggy » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:18 pm
Mine runs OK for a fair time - several days, I have one of them rebooting from crontab in the wee small hours each morning to make sure. I'm still trialling the other with out restarting to see how it goes. It probably depends on what you have it doing, mine transfers a webcam image and some short logs each minute so its not exactly overworked.
by stes » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:40 pm
I have the same issue with wireless dropping with my belkin wifi usb adapter. I have one sdcard that contains first recommended debian image for the raspberry pi and that always holds the connection. I have it connected directly to the pi. With every revision that I tried after that, the wireless drops out. Have the same hardware setup.