arisjr

PXE boot not working

Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:27 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a Raspeberry Pi 3 fully functional, I have already installed two systems on it with success.

Now I'm trying to use PXE with it.
I've followed the tutorial [1], but the client part is not working.

I have checked the OTP value and its OK, but without the MicroSD card, the Raspberry Pi does nothing, no messages in the screen, nor even access the network for PXE/dhcp (I've checked with wireshark).

What am I doing wrong?

Regards,
Aristeu

[1] https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... utorial.md

FM81

Re: PXE boot not working

Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:53 am

Try an empty card, with only an (actual) bootcode.bin on it (nothing more, only this file).
If network-booting is working in this case, you can do nothing, a few threads are existing about this. (It's angry, but true!)
If network-booting is not working in this case, something is wrong in your server-setup or in your network-hardware or what ever ...

Best Regards, FM_81
A: What does the command 'cat /dev/urandom', can you tell me please?
B: Yeah, that's very simple: It feeds your cat with radioactive material!

omegaman477

Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:07 am

arisjr wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:27 pm
Hi everyone,

I have a Raspeberry Pi 3 fully functional, I have already installed two systems on it with success.

Now I'm trying to use PXE with it.
I've followed the tutorial [1], but the client part is not working.

I have checked the OTP value and its OK, but without the MicroSD card, the Raspberry Pi does nothing, no messages in the screen, nor even access the network for PXE/dhcp (I've checked with wireshark).

What am I doing wrong?

Regards,
Aristeu

[1] https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... utorial.md
Network Booting is challenging at the best of times with full blown systems and O/S. Of course the problem lies either in the Server or the Client (RPI). As far as I know the PXE code in the RPI-3 is solid. You need to look to your server. My advice is to grab an old laptop or PC, load the same O/S as your BootP server and try to configure the laptop as a Net boot client, thus proving the Server config is sound. The Server will also give you detailed BootP logs (if enabled) to help you work through things.

In my experience network boot problems usually are with the server config, areas of focus;
The initial DHCP request for a TCP/IP address is not being fulfilled. Without a IP address it stops dead. The ARP tables, and DHCP logs in your server will tell you if your RPI (based on its MAC address) is getting a valid IP address.
The next hurdle is passing the TFTP parameters via the PXE/DHCP server to the client. If successful you will see an attempt from the client to load the bet.boot file from the TFTP server. Enable detailed logging on the TFTP server. Quiet often basic firewall/o/S security gets in the way of a TFTP request.
If the client is getting a valid IP, and a loading a valid net boot file, you should see a boot occur, thereafter its easy to diagnose the problems as you will have a RPI boot console.

Net Boot/PXE is complex. Do some reading and be sure you understand the end to end process, then confirm each step of the process is working. This is not an area for shotgun diagnostics ;-)
..the only thing worse than a stupid question is a question not asked.

FM81

Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:45 pm

omegaman477 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:07 am
As far as I know the PXE code in the RPI-3 is solid.
No, it isn't!
If it works for you, then it's OK. But it means only, you're "on the lucky side", nothing less, nothing more ... :)
For all the others, two examples:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=175228
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=181798

Greetings, FM_81
A: What does the command 'cat /dev/urandom', can you tell me please?
B: Yeah, that's very simple: It feeds your cat with radioactive material!

Return to “Troubleshooting”