serzh

Is it really necessary to use WD cable kit for PiDrive 314?

Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:03 am

Hi guys,

I've just finally received my long waited PiDrive 314GB but it turned out there was't a special WD cable kit inside. As it takes too long to wait for package to arrive in my country I'm thinking about some workaround. Hence the question - is it possible to connect a PiDrive to my Raspberry Pi without the use of this WD cable kit?

DougieLawson

Re: Is it really necessary to use WD cable kit for PiDrive 314?

Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:58 pm

The cable provides two things.
1. SATA to USB2.0
2. Divided power, one leg to the drive, one to the RPi

It's a very good, well-designed system built by folks who understand both hard disks and Raspberries.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

jbudd

Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:29 pm

I connected my Pi 3 to a Pi Drive with a straightforward USB 3 cable. It boots from the SD card not the PiDrive and is powered by a 3A power supply (actually the one I got with my recent purchase of PiDrive cables).

It does mount the PiDrive successfully and I can write to it.

I guess it would work with a micro USB cable too, though the PiDrive has a USB 3 socket.

I don't think the PiDrive cable converts from Sata to USB, that's built in to the drive.

What I think is perhaps more interesting is that the PiDrive cable should let you use any USB 3 external hard disk enclosure. It has a USB 3 plug, though the Pi only has USB 2. Is the drive itself USB 3? I don't know.

gregeric

Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:33 pm

The WD drives are native USB3, backwards compatible with USB2. There's *no* SATA conversion involved (save for hidden in the drive's electronics itself, maybe).

Just use whatever USB cable you have to hand - even a micro-USB will poke into one half of that widened connector on the PiDrive314 HDD. With a beefy enough power supply & thick/short enough cables all should be OK.

drgeoff

Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:37 pm

jbudd wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:29 pm
I don't think the PiDrive cable converts from Sata to USB, that's built in to the drive.
Correct. As
http://wdlabs.wd.com/products/wd-pidriv ... ition/#hdd says
"HDD version comes with:
Native USB 7mm HDD
microSD™ card (preloaded)
WD PiDrive Cable
2-year Limited Warranty"
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

jbudd

Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:45 pm

The official Raspberry Pi power supply is £8 (ish)
WD are offloading 3A power supplies with the PiDrive cable for £6.50. When you buy one they even give you a 20% discount code for future purchases, Postage is a bit heavy though.
https://www.wdc.com/en-gb/products/wdla ... it-3a.html

Return to “Troubleshooting”