BUBLOSq2

Raspberry pi zero usb dongle, problem with internet sharing.

Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:41 pm

Hello,
alot of you probably heard about the raspberry pi zero dongle pc projcet, where with just one cable you cann connect your raspberry to the pc and ssh in to it. All of this is working, i just type "raspberrypi.local" and its working, im in the pi, bout the pi zero is useless without the internet conncection with i just can't establish. I shared the internet connection over windows, to the "RNDIS/gadget" bout it just won't recognize it, i set the ip to static not working, i change the dhcp settings on the pi, not working it just not assign the ip adress form my LAN network.

This is the tutorial i was following :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU9e3jIqaBY&t=405s

and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUNPiCfCUzI&t=178s

I would appreciate any help! :D

steveb4pi

Re: Raspberry pi zero usb dongle, problem with internet sharing.

Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:56 am

I managed to get ICS working, so the Pi can access the Internet ... see http://www.questions4steveb.co.uk/html/ ... he-Pi-Zero
(scroll down a page or two to the frst diagram, which explains most of what's going on)

HOWEVER, I was never able to actually download code from the Pi 'repositories' i.e. update/upgrade failed to actually transfer code (but the Pi did appear to connect to the servers ..)

I THINK the problem is that the P<>PC<>Router 'looks like' a 'man in the middle' attack (or maybe it's tripping some 'anti-Proxy Server' code ..)

Things may have changed since I last looked at 'device mode' .. I no longer need it as I now plug my Zero into a USB-Ethernet dongle that's been modified for PoE so it can 'back-drive' the Pi power == so 'problem fixed' ...

rpdom

Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:16 am

steveb4pi wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:56 am
I THINK the problem is that the P<>PC<>Router 'looks like' a 'man in the middle' attack (or maybe it's tripping some 'anti-Proxy Server' code ..)
More likely just a wrong configuration.

Pi->PC->router shouldn't look any different to any other internet connection via a router. There is no proxy server involved either.

BUBLOSq2

Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:43 am

i set the ip on the PI to a static and i was able to log in to the vnc server on my LAN network, bout the internet is still not working.

drgeoff

Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:01 am

The RPi does not require the correct setting for gateway when you VNC to your computer. And if you use the IP address of the computer, the RPi does not need the correct setting for DNS either. But it does need both of those if you want it to reach the internet and URLs on it.

Did you set those correctly when giving the RPi a static IP?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Return to “Troubleshooting”