tpercival

Unstable Raspberry Pi B

Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:41 pm

I have a project where i need a computer to run Pandora, all day every day, and that's all it ever needs to do, and I thought my Raspberry Pi B would be perfect for that. I downloaded Noobs, and installed LibreELEC as the only OS. all of this goes fine. i install the pandoki plugin and mutagen plugin to make pandoki work. I test it and all goes well. and it will be like this until i power down the Pi (and yes i use the power off feature in LibreElec). Upon power back on, i've had a whole range of results.... it will sometimes power on, stay at the LibreELEC loading screen and never move. Sometimes it will power on, start to load, then reboot, and do that to infinity. i've had one instance where it determined all the plugins were unable to verify consistency versions... and reinstalling them wouldnt work.

After doing this MANY times and using a couple of different SD cards, i wondered if the Pi itself was the problem. So i did all of the set up on my Pi 3, it worked first time out of the gate and has been working flawlessly for a week.

Is this something that is maybe an incompatibility with the current LibreELEC and the old Pi? Or do i have a bad piece of hardware?

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

klricks

Re: Unstable Raspberry Pi B

Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:32 pm

If you are only running libreElec then there is no point to use NOOBs. Install the stand alone version from the libreElec web site instead.
Go here for my RPi writeup. Basic config, Serial Port add-on etc:
http://blackeagle12.net/Comp/RPi/Rpi.html Click contact icon then world icon --->

tpercival

Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:46 am

is that going to fix the problems i'm having, or are you just pointing out that there is a different way to install the OS i need, but it won't make any difference in the problems i see?

As i recall, i tried to use the Libre image from their site and it wouldn't complete the boot up process, so i went back to installing it from the noobs installer which has already proven it works, but if it will make a difference and make the pi more stable i'll give it another try

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:50 am

Sounds like a power supply problem.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

tpercival

Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:59 pm

jamesh wrote:
I thought of that, but i've tried 3 different power supplies with the same results. one is a 5v 1a and the other 2 are 5v 2.5a. As a note, the 5v, 1a power supply has been the primary power supply for this Pi since i purchased it long ago. is it possible i've done damage to the pi using this power supply?

fruitoftheloom

Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:12 am

tpercival wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:59 pm
jamesh wrote:
I thought of that, but i've tried 3 different power supplies with the same results. one is a 5v 1a and the other 2 are 5v 2.5a. As a note, the 5v, 1a power supply has been the primary power supply for this Pi since i purchased it long ago. is it possible i've done damage to the pi using this power supply?

I would not use or advertise "illegal" plug-ins for KODI

Maybe try OSMC instead of OpenElec / LibreElec: https://osmc.tv/
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC

jamesh

Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:49 am

Not sure of the legalities of the plugins specified. If anyone can provide some insight, happy to edit out portions as necessary.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:48 pm

jamesh wrote:
Not sure of the legalities of the plugins specified. If anyone can provide some insight, happy to edit out portions as necessary.

https://www.howtogeek.com/286995/how-to ... -kodi/amp/
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC

DougieLawson

Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:52 pm

jamesh wrote:
The biggest problem with anything to do with Pandora is that we can't ever try it here in Blighty. Pandora geographically blocks UK IP address ranges.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.

tpercival

Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:58 pm

I would not use or advertise "illegal" plug-ins for KODI

Maybe try OSMC instead of OpenElec / LibreElec: https://osmc.tv/
I don't see anything on that page that says Pandoki is "illegal". I am open to trying OSMC however if that will allow me to run Pandora, or pandoki, or some other form of pandora with my pandora one account

tpercival

Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:42 pm

so far i've found that OSMC doesn't have samba installed out of the box, and downloading it from OSMC failed along with the OSMC update. either OSMC doesn't like my PI either, or i'm really not impressed with OSMC

Return to “Troubleshooting”