m0roj

RasPi 3B freezing when not under any significant load

Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:28 pm

I'm using a RasPi 3B for various Ham Radio projects which all appear to be working well until I open the Chrome web browser with perhaps two or three tabs open. None of it with particularly heavy CPU use - maybe 10-20% peak. The RasPi completely freezes and the only solution is to power off and then re-start.
I've read of similar issues, some of which point to limited swap space as being the issue.
Is this the probable cause and if so how can swap space be increased with an already installed and running system?
Also I've noticed on the ModMyPi Forum that similar issues have been found, which have resulted in the RasPi being replaced under warranty as being faulty.
Could this be the case with mine and how does one obtain a replacement, please?
Many thanks in advance.

DougieLawson

Re: RasPi 3B freezing when not under any significant load

Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:47 pm

Have a look at the amount of RAM used for each new browser tab.

When you get close to 1GB your Raspberry will turn to a brain-dead zombie wading through a vat of treacle. The system goes into swapping, swapping to SDCard doesn't work (it's also very bad for flash memory wear-levelling).

The top command can tell you which processes are hogging memory. Only you can decide whether they need to be there or form part of the operating system and you can't run without them.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

MarkyV

Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:06 pm

Hi,
Just to check - are you using an RPi power supply? I am currently typing this in the 4th tab of a chrome window - freezing completely sound like a power issue to me - or overheated CPU?

Mark
My RaspberryPi Blog: http://thepimaker.online

mi7chy

Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:23 pm

It slows to a crawl when it runs out of memory. It happens to me all the time with just one browser tab browsing, for example, Facebook. If you manage to kill Chrome task it goes back to normal. Limited DRAM is one of the major weaknesses of Raspberry Pis and hope it gets corrected with RPi4.

Return to “Troubleshooting”