pitibonom

Re: Unable to setup Wifi access point on raspbian stretch

Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:14 pm

Hey guys !!!

I'd say i've been trying to make things work since 30 or 40 hours ( not in a row XP )

here's my conf:
a stretch on my rasp. i has wifi bluetooth and .... ( nah it dont have coffee-machine yet..... ;-) )
i put an USB <---> eth external device wich is setup as eth1

therefore, i got 3 network toys :-)
eth0
eth1
wlan0

eth1 is connected on my adsl-modem and have a static ip set by the rasp: 192.168.1.1 ( my modem network is 192.168.1.xxx )
eth0 is connected tu a hub to my local wired network ( 4 machines all submissed to dhcp )
wlan0 is.... hum.... configured ???? well..... something like this.... so that all my wireless devices at home can connect to it... ( and they do ! )

what i need is that anything talking on eth0 AND anithing talking on wlan0 have access to eth1 wich is my only access to my ISP adsl modem.

with some iptables thingies, eth0 <---> eth1 work like a charm !!!! it's nothing but perfect !!!

BUT

wlan0 is just.... outa game !!!!

i managed to have wireless devices talking to the web with an allow-hotplug option in /etc/network/interfaces file but....
this fucks upo the eth0 <----> eth1 redirections...
what i mean is that
i can have internet on devices connected to eth0
OR
i can have internet on devices connected to wlan0

but not both of them

without tryin to be dumd i'd say: WTF ?????????????

anybody got an idea ?

i know it's just a tiny-tweeny lil invisible thingie ! ( it's always this in NUX world and i practice it since 20 years but not on net topic )

thanks in advance for your questions and your help :)

and best regards !

pitibonom

Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:57 pm

tooooo bad !!!

On net problems there's rarely answers....
it's a sad thing coz RPi is a marvelous machine but that is burdened by all linux network mess :-/

SurferTim

Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:01 pm

I don't have a problem with network stuff. Here are the latest tutorials on setting up a wireless access point on a RPi.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... s-point.md

Don't put anything in /etc/network/interfaces unless you have a bridge as in the second setup on that page.

meekeech

Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:02 am

Morgan.Rpi wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:05 pm
To someone who is suffering the issue,

I was suffering the problem for a couple of days, and eventually, I realized that my Rpi 3 had set to connect to my home wifi automatically as the official guide https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... ess-cli.md.

Then I deleted the section

Code: Select all

network={
    ssid="testing"
    psk="testingPassword"
}

and commented all the other lines of the file /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf, then reboot, it worked!!

Hope it could work for you 8-)

Created an account just to thank this beautiful man. This fixed my problems of not seeing my Pi's network. Just comment out all saved networks.

rogerjames99

Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:07 pm

The latest version of hostapd does net play well with wpa_supplicant on stretch. The simplest way to to fix this is to disable wpa_supplicant on the wireless interfaces you want to run hostapd on. You can do this by adding the following line to to the relevant wlan interface stanzas in /etc/dhcpcd.conf.

nohook wpa_supplicant

e.g.

interface wlan0
nohook wpa_supplicant
static ip_address=192.168.0.1/24

If you think about it it makes sense. Wpa_supplicant is a service to authenticate clients to an access appoints. Hostapd is a service that runs the wireless interface as an access point that will receive authentication request from clients. Running both hostapd and wpa_supplicant on an interface does not make any sense and only worked by accident in the past.

monapi

Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:14 am

hello, i used https://learn.adafruit.com/setting-up-a ... ng-hostapdtutorial but i had problem the raspberry could give IP to other devices but didint have internet and i want my raspi to have internet and be a access point.
so
i use
sudo rm /etc/dhcp/dhcp.conf
and command like this and delete all the files that i open by sudo.
and try to use https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... s-point.md tutorial but when i open this
sudo nano /etc/dhcpcd.conf
to edit it and add

interface wlan0
    static ip_address=192.168.4.1/24
    nohook wpa_supplicant
there isn't any default command in it and the page is blank i put command in it and when i save the file with ctrl+x+y
it didn't get out of the file .
and i cant run
sudo mv /etc/dnsmasq.conf /etc/dnsmasq.conf.orig
this command.
i have this problem with all the sudo nano commands.
and now i use
sudo service hostapd status
it show active|(exited).
i use
sudo /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf
to see the file and nothing in it. i think nothing saved and the file is unwritable.
how can i solve my problem?

please help me.
thank you.

SurferTim

Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:28 am

The file are writable if you use

sudo nano /etc/dhcpcd.conf
sudo nano /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf
To save, use <CTRL>o (letter, not number)

GQQ7

Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:24 pm

Hi,
So I've tried getting this working for hours. Have followed many "tutorials" and none seem to work.

Just followed yours exactly and I cant find signal on other devices.
ran sudo service hostapd status and got this:

hostapd.service - Advanced IEEE 802.11 AP and IEEE 802.1X/WPA/WPA2/EAP Authenticator
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/hostapd.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
active: active (running) since Thu 2019-04-04 .......
Process: 911 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/hostapd -P /run/hostapd.pid -B $DAEMON_OPTS ${DAEMON)CONF} (code=exited, status=0/SUCCES
Main PID:957 (hostapd)
CGroup: /system.slice/hostapd.service
957 /usr/sbin/hostapd -P /run/hostapd.pid -B /etc/hostapd.hostapd,conf

Apr 04 15:58:59 raspberrypi systemd[1]: starting advanced ieee .......
Apr 04 15:58:59 raspberrypi hostapd[911]: configuration file: /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf
Apr 04 15:58:59 raspberrypi hostapd[911]: Failed to create interface mon.wlan0: -95 (operation not supported)
Apr 04 15:58:59 raspberrypi hostapd[911]:wlan0: could not connect to kernel driver
Apr 04 15:58:59 raspberrypi hostapd[911]:using interface wlan0 with hwaddr b8:27:eb:50:ab:50 and ssid "SensorLibSys"
Apr 04 15:58:59 raspberrypi hostapd[911]: wlan0: interface state UNINITIALIZED-.ENABLED
Apr 04 15:58:59 raspberrypi hostapd[911]:wlan-: AP-ENABLED
Apr 04 15:58:59 raspberrypi systemd[1]: started advanced ieee..........

does this matter?
(/lib/systemd/system/hostapd.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)

how do i fix these?
Failed to create interface mon.wlan0: -95 (operation not supported)
wlan0: could not connect to kernel driver

running the newest raspbian stretch.
also checked, and yes it is called wlan0 and eth0

any help would be great thanks

Return to “Troubleshooting”